Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Help for aging hair?

Elite Member

Default Help for aging hair?

Are there any products or treatments that will restore silky, shiny hair? My hair used to be so silky when I was young that barrettes and pony tail holders would just slide out. In the 80's I used to get "body waves" (remember those?) so that my hair wouldn't be so flat. Looking back, my hair was so beautiful and I'd love to have that "problem" again!

Now I'm in my late 40's and my hair is coarser and frizzier and I seem to always have a lot of split ends, even though I go for a regular cut/color. We are visiting Florida this week, and even though I just had my hair done 2 weeks ago, it's so frizzy and looks like crap.

I have tried many products over the years, both shampoo/conditioner and leave in anti-frizz styling products, but I can never seem to restore the texture I once had. Is this just part of getting older or is there something I can do about it?

I see women my age who have really nice silky hair still. Are they just lucky or is there something they are doing to get that look?

I am in the same frizzy boat. I tried all the anti-frizz stuff out there too. I've been using Living Proof No Frizz shampoo and conditioner for about a year and a half and I'm very happy. I think I have the whole line, but I don't always use all the products.

Before I blow dry I use Wow Kale Cocktail and a little oil then I style with heat. Presto, soft silky hair. If I let it air dry it is still a little frizzy. Heat has become my friend. The difference the Living Proof products have made is the frizz stays away. Other products started out okay, then within a few hours, frizz!

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

An olive oil treatment once a week should help.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I am in the same frizzy boat. I tried all the anti-frizz stuff out there too. I've been using Living Proof No Frizz shampoo and conditioner for about a year and a half and I'm very happy. I think I have the whole line, but I don't always use all the products.

Before I blow dry I use Wow Kale Cocktail and a little oil then I style with heat. Presto, soft silky hair. If I let it air dry it is still a little frizzy. Heat has become my friend. The difference the Living Proof products have made is the frizz stays away. Other products started out okay, then within a few hours, frizz!
    Is Living Proof safe for color-treated hair? And wow, that stuff seems expensive!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFolie View Post
    An olive oil treatment once a week should help.
    Is that hard to remove? I've been smoothing in some Argon oil before I blow-dry, and smoothing onto my hair once it's dry.

I'm also looking at Collagen Peptides. I had a jar for a while, but kept forgetting to use it daily, so I have no idea if it really works.

^Travelbug, here in France we have hair supplements called Forcapil, which are the best value for money I know. Maybe they sell it in the U.S?

Re olive oil, it washes off after three shampoos. Castor oil is even better, except you'd need twice as many shampoos to rinse it off!! What shampoo do you use?
    Last edited by LaFolie; June 27th, 2017 at 11:23 AM.

I very rarely blow dry or flat iron my hair; I let my hair air dry 99.9% of the time. Even so, I still need to put product in my hair so it's not a frizzy mess. I currently use just a regular hair gel mixed with an anti-frizz shine serum. It works OK, but my hair will still frizz if it's really humid.

My favorite product ever was one from Tres Semme; it was actually a heat protectant formula gel, but I would use it and let my hair air dry and it would always be smooth, silky and not at all sticky when I would finger brush it out. They then discontinued it, and although there is a similar mousse version, it doesn't work the same for me...

Travelbug, I'm starting to have the same problem with frizzy, lackluster hair. I'm missing how shiny and healthy my hair was in my 20's and even early 30's.

I'm sure some of it is age-related, but I also have thyroid issues and related meds which are known to mess up your hair (and nails), make it fall out, brittle, etc. Plus I've been bleaching my hair for years, which is damaging. All the pre-natal vitamins I've been taking for 4 years never helped.

I've been thinking about trying biotin supplements. I thought Greys said something about trying those and noticing a difference.
    greysfang likes this.

^Whatever you do, NEVER buy brewer's yeast. I tried it 3 times, and each time I had horrible acne, like a pimple beard on my lower face. ew!

eta : Oh, I remember. I gifted my mum this shampoo in late 2015 (she still has it!). At first, she wouldn't use because the bottle takes too much space (wtf! but that's my mum for you...) but after a few weeks, her frizzy hair turned much softer. Try it!

https://www.amazon.com/BC-Bonacure-R...estore+shampoo
    Last edited by LaFolie; June 27th, 2017 at 01:25 PM.

I'd go a few days without washing if it gets super dry and frizzy, and watch what I eat/drink, take vitamins and oils.
    The natural oils "come out" and coat my hair and scalp.
    Then I'll be sure to use sparing amount of shampoo (enough to make it feel clean) and extra moisturizing conditioner.
    I also stay away from hair sprays or anything that dries the hair out.
    I like using mousse best. I scrunch the middle and ends of my below shoulder long brunette hair and it brings out natural waves.

Another in the same boat. I started graying really early (23-24) but I never had a problem with thickness or texture ... until the last few years. My hair is thinning. I do get it colored once in a while and I've noticed when I do, it changes the texture for the better. I also have them give me a moisturizing mask and go home with salon products.

I've had a lot of luck with hair texturizers. My hair is really dry, but also really spirally curly. I don't wash my hair everyday but when I do, I use an awesome, heavy conditioner (whatever my colorist suggests at that visit) and leave it in while I wash and shave. I "discovered" Drybar's Triple Sec recently. It's pricey, but omg, it works wonders for me. Gives me volume, texture, dry shampoos (without drying out my already dry hair) and smells amazing. It also refreshes my curls. I know people with oily hair rave about it too. Also, Biotin, Biotin, Biotin.

There was a time a couple of years ago that I started blow drying and flat ironing my hair to appease my then husband. That went on for a year. My hair was a mess for awhile, but it's much better now. I use Bumble & Bumble Curl leave in conditioner, Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel and a little bit of Paul Mitchell Round Trip on the ends. It takes at least 2 hours to dry, usually longer, then I just tousle and run my fingers through the curls a little. Triple Sec makes it look even thicker then it is.

I've never admitted this to anyone but I have a small bottle of Toppix. I only use it for special occasions and I'm not even sure it does anything (I only use it at the crown). I've literally bawled over my hair a few times. I have PCOS and thinning hair is an issue. I was always "known" for my hair in school so it was a big part of my personal identity. It's hard dealing with aging.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

I've been using Rogaine for about 2 years. My hairline was vanishing like wildfire when "the change of life" happened. I was devastated.
    In about 3 months or so it began to come back. Now I am perfectly happy. It's not as thick at my temples as it once was, but at least I don't have empty patches at my hairline. I still use the Rogaine a couple times a week. I also am on bio-identical HRT and that may have helped too. I do think I shed way more than I should though. I can see why little old ladies turn to wigs.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Try coconut oil. A little bit on damp hair, comb thru, let sit for 30 min then wash. Like a teaspoon size warmed in your hands.

Try Olaplex. I've seen a few posts about it here.

How To Do Olaplex At Home

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I've been using Rogaine for about 2 years. My hairline was vanishing like wildfire when "the change of life" happened. I was devastated.
    In about 3 months or so it began to come back. Now I am perfectly happy. It's not as thick at my temples as it once was, but at least I don't have empty patches at my hairline. I still use the Rogaine a couple times a week. I also am on bio-identical HRT and that may have helped too. I do think I shed way more than I should though. I can see why little old ladies turn to wigs.
    Thanks for the advice. I've been thinning for years. I use viviscal vitamins, biotin, a laser hair cap, and nioxin. It keeps getting worse. I don't know why I've been afraid of starting rogaine (I think because I heard once you start, you can't stop). But short of hair plug implants, I need to do something. I think I will stop at the drug store tomorrow and bite the bullet. So it takes about 3 months to get results?

My hair was in absolute shit shape a few years ago - ended up having to chop a lot of length off because it would tie itself in knots while I slept and even the non-knotted part didn't look good. My stylist swears that Pantene was the culprit and told me to use Dove if I wasn't going to buy the expensive stuff. So between Dove shampoo and conditioner, and an additional layer of Infusium 23 leave-in, it's in spectacular shape. I have some gray bits too (have since I was 20 - grrr) and even those aren't a problem anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information