Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Back to my real favorite mascaras

Default Back to my real favorite mascaras

Mascara tester. Okay, mascara user. Mascara whore.

That said, after scrolling to see how many mascara's I've posted about here, and trying one's you've posted as well, I'm back to the two that work best for me.

L'Oreal Voluminous and Dior Show, the original. These are dryer mascara's. The big, fat wand. Neither flake or look spiky. I also take the tip of my finger and run it over my lashes to get the excess off. It looks more natural than if I do that with an eyelash comb.

I'm now taking off my makeup with a cream cleanser or an oily eyemakeup remover. Silky feeling lashes make the mascara go on so much nicer. Recently I went against all the aging advice and started putting on a small amount of mascara on my bottom lashes. I used a thin mascara wand to brush the lashes "out" instead of down, which didn't create shadows, just a stronger bottom of the eye. Madonna overdoes it, well, what else is new. Creating that blackness on top and bottom was like getting a makeover.
    nancydrew and KrisNine like this.

I also use L'Oreal Voluminous mascara. I've tried a few upscale mascara brands, but I just can't see any difference between the drugstore and luxury mascaras. There's just some make-up that I can't see paying more for and mascara is one.

Recently, I've stopped curling my lashes, which I know every make-up artist says is super important. I have straight lashes with kind of a hooded lid and it's impossible to keep my lashes curled, regardless of what kind of curler I use or if I curl before or after mascara. It just doesn't work for me, so I stopped and my lashes seem thicker for it. Maybe I was pulling a few out with the curling.

I take all my make-up off with Equate make-up removing wipes. They're quilted wipes with make-up remover in them and they really take all mine off. I don't ever use waterproof mascara (which I've heard helps curl stay in the lash, but it's too hard for me to take off and I don't care for it), so the wipes take my make-up off just fine. I stopped using liquid eye-make up remover because I can get everything off with the wipes and I had to use a ton of liquid remover compared to just one wipe. I did like the Lancome Bi-Facil Double Action eye make-up remover when I used liquid remover, though. It was just too pricey for the amount I had to use each time at $26 a bottle.

I third Voluminous, I've tried every drug store brand there is an always come back to it. I use good old fashioned baby oil to remove it.
    "Ronan is a Sinatra this comes from years of watching Maury!!!" *Diva!

If I use something oily to remove the old I have to wash lashes in baby shampoo or else the new will slide off here & there.
    I collect mascaras for a hobby. I love mascara.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I collect mascaras for a hobby. I love mascara.
    I love it too. I had the most fun with the set of trial size mascaras I bought at Sephora last year.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

im dior show all the way. my eyelashes are stick straight, refuse to curl and they have no lift to them at all. this is the only mascara that makes them look long. dior show + my shu uemura curler is the only thing that works for me

The original Dior Show mascara used to be my go-to mascara for years until I discovered Givenchy's Phenomonal mascara with the ball instead of a brush. I LOVE it. I buy it in bulk because I'm afraid that it's going to be discontinued. Especially because I only wear brown mascara and that's not always easy to find (I'm really fair with light colored eyes and I just think black looks way too harsh on me). If Givenchy ever discontinues it, I will definitely go back to the original Dior mascara as that's great too. The ball on the Givenchy one just let's me coat each and every lash ... that and I bought a new version of Sephora's eye lash curler. I don't know what they did to it because it looks exactly the same as their old red one (they redesigned them and now they come in different colors) ... but perfectly curled lashes on the FIRST try with no pinching. I've only been using a curler in the last few years since I had naturally long and curly lashes, but once I hit 37-38, my lashes started going downhill. I thought I was using the red one incorrectly because it would only curl half of them so I'd try again closer and wind up pinching my eyes which hurts like a bitch.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to get image urls on my iPad yet ... Givenchy PhenomenMascaraEyes Mascara: Shop Mascara | Sephora

I have Givenchy's mascara too in purple. I use it to highlight the inner and outer corners of my eyes.

- Mark Twain

A*O

I've tried em all and when I had thick, long lashes top and bottom I could get away with cheapo Rimmel or Maybelline.

Now the lashes are thinner (I love getting older) I need the more upmarket stuff like Lancôme, Dior or Estée Lauder with the smaller, compact wand that grabs every lash.
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

Another vote for Voluminous, I flirt with others but always end up coming back to this one - my lashes are so crap that any mascara that's too wet just sticks 'em together, leaving me with three spikes per eye...not a good look.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

For me, it depends on what kind of look I want.

If I just want a more natural look, I go for Elizabeth Arden Double Density in black.

For really black, stand out lashes I use Lise Watier Feline HD mascara. (Advice though... the waterproof is REALLY waterproof)

For thickness I kind of rotate. I normally used Benefit's Bad Gal lash and loved it, but I recently picked up a new tube at the Sephora in Vegas and it was awful. I don't know if I just grabbed a bad tube or what but I couldn't use it. I've been using Bourjois Volume Clubbing mascara. It is really nice and comes off well when removing my makeup.

The absolute BEST eyelash curler is by Shiseido. A year after buying it, I still have to barely put any pressure for it to curl my lashes. I have long lashes that almost point downwards naturally and this curler curls them perfectly.

I'm getting in with the Voluminous girls! I've used that shit for well over a decade and I get asked (still) if my eyelashes are real or fake. It just DOES the job, baby!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    I have Givenchy's mascara too in purple. I use it to highlight the inner and outer corners of my eyes.
    I saw that, Brookie, and almost fainted. My favorite color is purple (I'm pretty fanatical about it) but they only have it in the regular wand style and not the ball wand that I've fell in love with. I wish they'd add more colors, but I'm just happy they're continuing the line.

Does anyone else that's *really* fair, light eyes (blue-green, usually depends on what color shirt I have on ... it's weird) and medium blonde hair use black liner and mascara? I have used brown mascara and liner forever because black, I feel, looks so harsh on me. But there are so many options for black liner/mascara and I'm really starting to expand on doing a much more daring eye (deeper pigmented shadows and such that are out of my comfort zone, like deep plums and dark blues) and I wonder if people see me with brown liner/mascara and thinks it looks stupid with such rich eyeshadows.

I could talk about makeup all day.

Blog Entries

I read the title as Back to my real favorite massacre...

Anyways, I hate putting on mascara; yet I do it everyday, sometimes twice a day.

Right now I like Define A Lash by Maybelline... I really like the brush, it doesn't get all clumpy and gross like other brushes.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    I saw that, Brookie, and almost fainted. My favorite color is purple (I'm pretty fanatical about it) but they only have it in the regular wand style and not the ball wand that I've fell in love with. I wish they'd add more colors, but I'm just happy they're continuing the line.

I could talk about makeup all day.
    nevan - I DO have the purple mascara in the ball wand. It's not brand new, but it's definitely what you're talking about. Got it at Sephora, I think.

- Mark Twain

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information