Thread: Brand Name hair color sold at discount stores - same product?

Default Brand Name hair color sold at discount stores - same product?

Not sure where to put this so I'll put it here!

I color my own hair a few times a year when life gets crazy and can't get to salon. I typically buy Garnier or one of the Clairol lines (forget which).

As only buy a few times per year, and may not get the same brand, I realize there may be some changes I am not familiar with, but the last time I bought hair color (Clairol) at Walmart - it seemed like a different product. It did not mix well, it felt very mud-like on my head, the gloves were different - hell - even the cardboard box it came in seemed weird.

Other than hair color, I also bought a few things I normally pick up at the grocery store because they were a a bit less expensive. My son wanted to know what was wrong with the deodorant I bought for him - he said it felt and smelled different.

On the plus side my hair came out fine and my athlete son stayed dry and odor free (thank the good lord) but I'm wondering if I'm imagining that the products sold to Walmart (as brand names) are truly a different formulation.

Any insight? And since this is a beauty thread, what is your favorite hair color brand?
    Last edited by JazzyGirl; September 15th, 2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typos

I don't really know for sure, but I think if Walmart or any store other than a dollar store was selling an inferior product they would be risking too much. I can see how if they place a humongus order with a company (say Clairol) that company might be able to give them a better price by using cheaper packaging,yes. But not a lesser product.
    Nor would Walmart accept it, because they would be swamped with returns it would seem.
    I think the proof is in the outcome and it would seem both of yours turned out fine.
    Last edited by McJag; September 15th, 2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: o missing
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

L'oreal haircolor, although I switch off and buy whatever amuses me at the time. I've probably tried every brand.

Not sure about companies selling inferior products to Walmart, but I doubt it. Seems like a consumer watchdog group would have latched onto that.

Walmart doesn't carry second rate versions of national brands. If it's in there it's the same quality you'll find anywhere. They have other issues as a company, but that's a whole other discussion.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Ah thanks for the replies. I really did not mean to single out Walmart per se - I just know they are a huge buyer/thus discounter. The same could probably be asked of Target - Kmart - etc.

I just found it odd that it was noticed by my son and myself, probably just a coincidence of product change/timing - heck maybe a slightly off batch that got thru quality control.

Jazz~

Thread Information