Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Is there a foundation/face powder that doesn't contain metal?

Question Is there a foundation/face powder that doesn't contain metal?

I have figured out that I have a problem with makeup that contains metals (iron oxide, titanium, etc.) I don't wear jewelry because of my skin's reaction to the metals. I quit wearing makeup sometime ago because it irritated my skin so much, but never connected the two. I do once in a while but always pay dearly. A friend mentioned she had a metal allergy and couldn't use the Bare Minerals because it contained metals - she let me try hers and my face went crazy. The makeup did look fantastic before the rash came up. Dammit.

Anyway, I started reading the labels of the foundations and powders at various stores, EVERY ONE has some form of metal in it. Makeup for "sensitive skin" isn't enough for me.

Is anyone aware of any powder/foundation that does not contain metals, or do they not exist?
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

SVZ

I think you might be out of luck.

Dr. Hauschka made a rice based compact before, but they dont make it anymore. And their new foundations contain iron oxides, zinc oxide, etc.

Have you tried putting on a primer first? That might prevent the foundation from touching your skin...but probably not.

I might be WAY off base here b/c I don't have it near me to check the ingredients, but I had to stop wearing regular bare minerals b/c it made me really itchy and I tend to be sensitive to most metals on my skin (have to wear all hypoallergenic jewelry). However, bare minerals makes a matte formulation that doesn't have the shimmer component and I can wear that with no problem. Maybe it's something you could look into?

SVZ

the ingredient missing should be bismuth oxychloride, a lot of people have issues with it.

NoDay, I'll look into that, it's worth a shot. I'll start checking labels and see if I can find any without SVZ's secret ingredient. Experiments - YAY!!
    I'm going to have start interviewing for new jobs soon, if you don't wear makeup it is assumed you are stupid. Sucks but true, so I need to find something that works with minimal pain.

I will check out both suggestions and update.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Take a look at Korres. I was told they don't put silicone in their primers, so maybe they eliminate the metals as well.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    I Is anyone aware of any powder/foundation that does not contain metals, or do they not exist?
    Nope, all makeup has metals.
    Posted from my iPhone

I have had success with custom make-up sellers on Etsy to find just what I needed. Try some of the vegan make-up people and start a dialogue about your needs. Might not be perfect but perhaps more suitable than what you have on mass market.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Thread Information