Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair color suggestions

Gold Member

Default Hair color suggestions

I had about 10 inches cut off my hair in order to get completely back to my natural color. I've had A LOT of friends say it's the "most interesting" color they've ever seen. It's a nice way of saying it is a light ash brown with a noticeable GREEN tint to it.

I have tried to figure out what hair color I can use to get the green hue out but it's very confusing and I haven't the money to have it professionally done.

My normal complexion is a fair and a bit ruddy.

Are there any hairdressers here that can suggest a color/brand/etc?

Thanks

LIB

Did this happen after you dyed it, or has it been a gradual thing?

If its been gradual, then I'm pretty sure that the green tint is caused by something in the water at your home. Or, do you swim a lot?

Try a bunch of asprins dessolved in warm water. Pour on hair-wait 10 minutes. Rinse. See if that won't take out the green. Works for pool hair.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

green is usually from chlorine, and Ive experienced it being a blonde. I have my hair professionally done and dont have advice for you but do you have a Sallys Beauty Supply near you? They are pretty knowledgeable on the hair color issues.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

My natural hair color - which I'm currently wearing - is a light ash brown/blonde color with that slight greenish blonde cast I think you're speaking of. It doesn't bother me as I get compliments on my hair color (and my decision to stop highlighting and stay natural). However, have you tried one of those color deposit shampoos or conditioners from Redkin or ArTec for blonde or brown hair? I've played with them before and those will change the tone of your hair slightly. Even Clairol Shimmer Lights or some blue toned shampoo might help.

You might have some luck going to a beauty supply store with a salon. In my experience, the sales people are knowledgeable and can help you find an affordable solution on the store shelf. Good luck.

Gold Member

Thanks for all the responses. I don't go near a chlorine pool but last summer did swim in a couple of salt water pools.

It wasn't noticeable until I cut all the blond out and then it was very obvious. I hadn't dyed my hair for many months so I had quite a bit of natural hair color already grown in.

qwerty, I haven't tried the shampoos you mention but will definitely look into it.

cupcake, the Sally's here shut down about six months ago.

Cali, it may be the water in my home. I guess I can have it tested.

Thanks again everyone.

My suggestion regarding shampoos/conditioners is if you intend to keep your natural color. If you choose to color your hair, you should probably use some kind of color correcting shampoo/conditioner anyway to prevent your color from fading or going brassy. I would think the helplines for Clairol, Garnier, etc. could make some good recommendations. It's not like your situation is uncommon.

Tomato sauce - seriously - its an old hairdressers trick... it should come up on google.

ETA _ here you go... Comments on How to Get Rid of Chlorine-Green Hair - eHow.com
    Free Charmed.

Chlorine and other metals can be in your shower water- you might want to buy a shower filter because this could be an ongoing problem.

This one is highly rated and $67:
    Aquasana Shower Filter - Consumers Digest "Best Buy" 20% Off!

There are others for around $20-$30:
    Buy GE Universal In-Line Shower Filter | GE GXSM01HWW

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Tomato sauce - seriously - its an old hairdressers trick... it should come up on google.

ETA _ here you go... Comments on How to Get Rid of Chlorine-Green Hair - eHow.com
    I'm going to try this just because.

Jeeze-asprin works fine & is not so messy!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

but I never heard the asprin thing.... and tomato sauce is more fun!
    Free Charmed.

The slight green cast in my hair doesn't bother me as I said before. I just want to see if tomato juice really works. I'm already aware of the aspirin remedy. I was a blonde kid/teenager and did a lot of swimming. Enough said.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    My suggestion regarding shampoos/conditioners is if you intend to keep your natural color. If you choose to color your hair, you should probably use some kind of color correcting shampoo/conditioner anyway to prevent your color from fading or going brassy. I would think the helplines for Clairol, Garnier, etc. could make some good recommendations. It's not like your situation is uncommon.
    Yes, I understood what you meant, qwerty, but thanks for clarifying. If I can get this green hue out of my hair I'd like to stay natural.

thanks.

LIB

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Chlorine and other metals can be in your shower water- you might want to buy a shower filter because this could be an ongoing problem.

This one is highly rated and $67:
    Aquasana Shower Filter - Consumers Digest "Best Buy" 20% Off!

There are others for around $20-$30:
    Buy GE Universal In-Line Shower Filter | GE GXSM01HWW
    Thank you Cali. I am taking a sample of my water down to the water department Monday. If it is full of metals, etc., I will purchase one of these products. I do not drink the water because it taste strange.
    Last edited by Tati; May 8th, 2009 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Let It Be View Post
    Thank you Cali. I am taking a sample of my water down to the water department Monday. If it is full of metals, etc., I will purchase one of these products. I do not drink the water because it taste strange.
    So whats the verdict? I'm curious!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information