Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best OTC retinoid product for wrinkles?

Default What is the best OTC retinoid product for wrinkles?

What's the best OTC product that contains a retinoid? I can't get an RX because I don't have insurance.

I read an article today that recommended L'Oréal Paris Advanced Revitalift Deep-Set Wrinkle Repair Night Creme ($20, drugstores) and DermaDoctor Poetry in Lotion Intensive Retinol 1.0 ($75, Sephora).

What do you all recommended?

I'm 25 and I started noticing wrinkles around my eyes about 3 years ago (mainly from smiling and sleeping on my face). I wear sunscreen, avoid the sun and take care of my skin, but I don't own any anti-wrinkle products because I have no idea what to get. The wrinkles are getting more noticable now though!!!

you sleep on your face? lol
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

At 25, it might be hard to get a perscription! Are you sure? Are you looking in a magnifying mirror? Try the L'Oreal if you must. I recall seeing a deep wrinkle in my forehead right after I gave birth that bothered me. I had lost too much weight I think,because it left. Are you too thin? Sometimes 5 pounds can make a difference. Maybe try a different pillow-you can order online for side sleeping,etc.
    I think you should try the old fasioned Frownies first-maybe these with vitamin E,sort of retrain your smile muscles:
    www.frownies.com/faq
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Trust me when I say I am getting wrinkles, they are noticeable when I look in a regular mirror and look worse when I put makeup on. I don't think I need a prescription, I just want something over the counter.

I'm not underweight and I think the wrinkles are from sleeping on my face. I can only sleep on my side and so my face is on my pillow (with my cheek pushing up towards my eye) and I am getting these wrinkles. It's the worst on my right eye because that's the side I sleep on 90% of the time.

I tried to google for a picture that showed my kind of wrinkles, but I couldn't find any. Basically, it's like a crescent shaped wrinkle under my eyes. I don't have noticeable wrinkles really anywhere else on my face....

I've read before that sleeping on your face really can exacerbate wrinkles because you have all the weight of your head (7 or 8 pounds maybe?) resting on your face.

I use Roc Retinol Correction Eye Cream I bought on sale at CVS for around $18 for the beginnings of crows feet. It's okay, but I'll probably try L'Oreal or Neutrogena next.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    At 25, it might be hard to get a perscription!
    I don't think it would be hard. I've been on retinoids since I was 16, but its for my acne. I bet a dermatologist would write you an RX.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I don't think it would be hard. I've been on retinoids since I was 16, but its for my acne. I bet a dermatologist would write you an RX.
    Didn't think of that!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hell I'm in my late 30's and wondering the same thing!!

Have head that Oil of Olay stuff is really good....

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post

It's not hard at all. I was originally prescribed Retin A by a dermatologist years ago, and since then my gyn and my GP write both my scripts for it. I just ask them when I'm in the office, they write it out.

Also, try a satin pillow case. Easier on the skin and the hair.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Interestingly, I like the Roc Deep Wrinkle Cream as well as the rx Retin-A I tried a few years back. My skin looks really good, probably due to all the sunscreen I used religiously since my mid-teens. The Roc is very absorbable and gets great reviews. Avon's Anew line is also quite good.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you done a micro abrasion? That seems to help with smaller lines.

I like the Roc line, too...however, do NOT get in the sun with that stuff on it will burn the crap out of you.

I also like the L'Oreal products. I used the one in the Orange and White tube for months and liked it a lot.

The only reason I switched was because my neighbor become and Avon lady, and I wanted to support her, plus I had been wanting to try their products.

I'd say get an rx, the real retin-A makes your skin produce it's own collagen, the OTC things are moisturisers with a heavy dose of marketing. I've also read that you shouldn't sleep on your face and I can't change that habit myself but I know people who sleep on their back with a pillow under their knees to block them in that position

Yeah, I need to find a way to retrain myself from sleeping on my face. I don't know how to do that though!

I don't mind avoiding the sun with any products because I avoid it anyway and wear sunscreen daily. It's been my routine since I was in high school and I am so happy I was smart about my skin.

I was on makeupalley and many of the reviews for Retin-A says they bought it from medsmex because they couldn't get it with their insurance in the US. It comes from Mexico and it's like $25/tube.

I'll look up the reviews for Roc, maybe that will help. And I use facial scrub daily, I heard that doing that long term is just as good as micro abrasion (any thoughts on that?).

^I've bought Retin A Micro overseas (not Mexico) before for about half the U.S. price with no problems.

I agree with McJag about investing in Frownies - they definitely work with diligent use and they're inexpensive. If you're really cheap, surgical tape will work too.

How do frownies work?

I'm glad you brought up Retin-A DD, cause I've been thinking about doing something for wrinkle prevention (I'm 31) and this would work for my acne too. Let us know how it works for you if you start using it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information