Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worldwide image: Canada, Japan best, US, Israel, Iran worst

Quote Originally Posted by Dean James View Post
    Everyone loves Canada. I have a friend who travels the world and when she goes to places unfriendly to the US, she tells the locals she's from Canada and they instantly brighten up. When they think she's American they treat her with utter hostility and when they think she's Canadian, they love her to bits.
    Yeah I've seen that when I went to Canada. A friend of mine was with me at this bar and some locals asked if she was Ameriacn in a sassy tone, she lied and said she was Canadian and just going to school in Michigan and the locals warmed up to her and treated her nicely. I never had to lie beause I have brown skin and I don't look like a regular "American" so it was'nt questioned.

Still it's sad that our country is viewed negatively when we had worldwide support after 9/11. Thanks Bush

Sort of random but a little on topic...maybe...
    A few weeks ago I overheard my 8 year old, while play-fighting with his uncle, saying "Well guess what, you're a Canadian! Ha Ha!" The family (we were at a family gathering) chuckled at the absurdity of it. I had been racking my brain trying to figure it out...was it a new insult to call someone a Canadian? What was I missing? It seemed to make sense to him, but I was perplexed.

Today he said "Mom, people from Canada eat other people, right?" Suddenly I remembered the random "insult" from earlier, and it clicked. "No, honey, those are called 'cannibals', not 'canandians'." I'm rather glad I cleared that up for him.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

LOL Canadian is used as a slur because we're peaceful and generally don't like "kicking ass and chewing bubblegum".

It's harder to broker peace than it is to fight a way, and frankly, we were kicking all sorts of Nazi ass back in WW2 before Amurika got its ass in gear and deigned to join the fight near the end.

Patton actually thought Canadian soldiers were the toughest bastards he'd seen, and said that if he'd had a whole army made of Canadians the war would have been won in 2 years

Hell, even the Germans hated us.. we fought like rabid badgers.

.... but don't tell anybody, we don't want to makle a big deal out of it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Grimm-that should be your signature!
    Grimmlok. Rabid Badger at your service.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Dean James View Post
    Matt Damon.
    Bwahahahahahaaa!!!

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I was born and raised in Canada until I was 13. One of my sisters is still there and I visit every summer. I am still a Canadian, I never became an american citizen and I never will. I married a man from France who opened his own Mercedes repair business and I've never been able to move back. Both my daughters asked for and received Canadian citizenship. I am very proud of being Canadian as are most Canadians. Grimm is right, my father was in the war in 1939, the U.S. didn't show up until the end of 1941. Also there would never have been a United States without the help of France who fought against the British with you in the Revolutionary War
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

^^ Pfft. I doubt that. Guerilla warfare helped a great deal. The Redcoats didn't know nothin' 'bout no guerilla warfare.

Are you a Revolutionary War buff? Is that why you say so?? I ain't, so I'm just talkin' out my ass.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Dayum, if I wasn't so obviously Southern, I would try that "Hey guyz, I am Canadian" thing when traveling.

As it is, I guess I could make do with one of those "Bush isn't my president" shirts.

Pfft. I ain't skeered. You damn sure better believe that the next time I'm overseas, I'll say it proudly: I. AM. AN. AMERICAN.

Think about it. Those of us that feel ashamed are the anti-stereotype. And maybe that's why everybody loves Canadians: cuz they're really Americans passing for Canadian.

Come out of the closet, all you Americans!! If you're not a loud, stupid asshole, why be ashamed? The world needs to meet more of us, cuz there's NOTHING wrong or shameful about being American.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    I was born and raised in Canada until I was 13. One of my sisters is still there and I visit every summer. I am still a Canadian, I never became an american citizen and I never will. I married a man from France who opened his own Mercedes repair business and I've never been able to move back. Both my daughters asked for and received Canadian citizenship. I am very proud of being Canadian as are most Canadians. Grimm is right, my father was in the war in 1939, the U.S. didn't show up until the end of 1941. Also there would never have been a United States without the help of France who fought against the British with you in the Revolutionary War
    Ah,but when we did show up we did pretty good. And it would seem we did pay France back ,at least so they are not speaking German!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by WickedHo View Post
    Pfft. I ain't skeered. You damn sure better believe that the next time I'm overseas, I'll say it proudly: I. AM. AN. AMERICAN.

Think about it. Those of us that feel ashamed are the anti-stereotype. And maybe that's why everybody loves Canadians: cuz they're really Americans passing for Canadian.

Come out of the closet, all you Americans!! If you're not a loud, stupid asshole, why be ashamed? The world needs to meet more of us, cuz there's NOTHING wrong or shameful about being American.
    Love you!

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Okay, dammit. I am inspired! I WILL sashay my way around England and Wales in May as only a Southern woman (or maybe gay man...) can!! I will "darlin'" and "honey" them and represent my country well, ya'll!

You can't see me but I am waving a flag right now.

Okay, not really.

Cuz that would be weird.

Hmm. You have a point-if you just HEARD a person talking there could be confusion-Southern woman or gay man? We really have a lot in common-passion about EVERYTHING. A deep commitment to every color, the ability to see the slighest hint of tint. So many things.
    So you go right on & sashay your bad self, head held high! Kill 'em with kindness, secure in the knowledge you are not only an American but Southern and DAMN PROUD OF IT! Watch out for rain on your parasol,Sugar! They gonna love you!

Right on, Dove!! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Well being #1 for negativity, sure as hell does stop them from coming here everyday. Legal or not so I guess we ain't too bad after all.

And I believe the French didn't really show up until the war was pretty almost over with.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information