Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: And the World’s Most Educated Country Is…

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    That would be about the time O/A levels was replaced with GCSE's right? . When I did O/A levels getting a grade B was an achievement and an A was exceptional. GCSE kids seem to get A++++ in 10 subjects so don't tell me things haven't dumbed down over the years.

sorry for double posts. My iPad skilz are rubbish. Didn't learn it at school.
    No, it was this year - August time
    A levels are still A levels, it was O Levels/CSEs that were replaced with GCSEs

Aren't there more Spanish speakers in the us than English speakers?
    Free Charmed.

In some areas there are more, but overall as a primary language for people it's way behind English. Our top languages are a pretty interesting mix:

According to the 2000 census,[11] the main languages by number of speakers older than five are:

1. English – 215 million
    2. Spanish – 28 million
    3. Chinese languages – 2.0 million + (mostly Cantonese speakers, with a growing group of Mandarin speakers)
    4. French – 1.6 million
    5. German – 1.4 million (High German) + German dialects like Hutterite German, Texas German, Pennsylvania German, Plautdietsch
    6. Tagalog – 1.2 million + (Most Filipinos may also know other Philippine languages, e.g. Ilokano, Pangasinan, Bikol languages, and Visayan languages)
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I had to do French and Spanish at senior school, but I wish we'd been taught a language at primary school - it's a lot easier to pick them up when you're a young kid.

We had to take a language starting in middle school/junior high. I don't think it was a requirement, but it was in high school. It's still a requirement in high school to take a foreign language. Some of the California schools are starting to require Spanish in elementary school. We're hoping our daughter will speak four languages. English and Farsi will be her first languages. Spanish will be taught in school and high school she can choose another language.

We did Spanish every single year from kindergarten through high school graduation. I think in some areas, however, it's gotten cut over the past few years due to budget issues.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

My son's in the 6th grade, and he had both Intro to Spanish and Intro to French.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

So basically they are saying that a college education = a good education? Bollox. Some of the dumbest, clueless most ignorant people I've met are graduates who may have a degree in anything from media studies to astro physics but who've never heard of Charles Dickens or know about the Russian Revolution or even know where Russia is.
    Agree 100% There's a large number of college grads who have Masters who lack basic knowledge of history or facts about the world around them and are ignorant to learn anything after they graduate because "I have my degree and that's good enough for me!".

My dad likes to call them "educated morons" which is pretty apt.
    Last edited by Mr. Authority; September 30th, 2012 at 07:59 PM.

Well I am not surprised. Just look at Grimm! It helped that he is intelligent in the first place, but yeah. Super Smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    Agree 100% There's a large number of college grads who have Masters who lack basic knowledge of history or facts about the world around them and are ignorant to learn anything after they graduate because "I have my degree and that's good enough for me!".
    The thing is, the effect of the master's was to make them smarter in some specialized area of academics. I certainly agree, though, that it's not going to make someone all-around smart. That kind of intelligence and education is usually based on a person's own initiative and desire to learn about the world around them.
    Karistiona and 00Kimmi00 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I also wonder about the cost of an education in other countries. Ever since I can remember, a college education has been out of reach for a lot of families, especially if you have more than one child. I think it was about $10k a year back in the 80's when I was going to college. Now, my friends that are sending their kids into the UC system are looking at $25 - 30K per year, per child.
    It varies somewhat by province, but the most you'll pay is about 6K per year here for most Bachelors programs. I believe we don't have quite as extensive a scholarship culture here, and the student loan program (in Ontario at least) is somewhat problematic, but even without any aid post-secondary education is a lot more accessible here. College (diplomas, not degrees) is even cheaper, probably just over half of University tuition.

There's also a lot of regulation, so you don't see much of a tiered system with prestigious schools that are crazy expensive and crappy ones that are really cheap - some schools, of course, have more to offer, excel in certain programs, or have stronger reputations, but they'll cost you about the same as a smaller school in a remote town. And there's not really a need to go to a "top" school to be employed in certain fields, at least not in my experience - a degree is a degree, and you'll do better to just distinguish yourself in some way or gain experience in the field than to go to a "fancy" school.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I also wonder about the cost of an education in other countries. Ever since I can remember, a college education has been out of reach for a lot of families, especially if you have more than one child. I think it was about $10k a year back in the 80's when I was going to college. Now, my friends that are sending their kids into the UC system are looking at $25 - 30K per year, per child.
    when i was started my bachelor, the registration fee at my university (ghent university, belgium) ranged from € 76 to € 550 per year, depending on whether you had a scholarship or not. it has only risen slightly over the years (€ 80 - € 596.30 for 2012-2013) but it's still affordable in comparison to some of the other amounts mentioned on here.

Here's a website that shows the cost for the 2012/13 academic year for California colleges.

CaliforniaColleges.edu - How Much Does College Cost?

The costs include tuition, books, housing and miscellaneous charges. The cost for living on campus goes from about $14k for community colleges, $23K for CSU schools, $32K for UC schools and $50K for independent colleges. The costs go down for living off campus and living with parents.

I don't know how parents do it.

One of the best educational systems is in Finnland, they spend 1/3rd of their budget on education. Korea must be among the highest too. I don't believe that US belongs on that list, not because of the number of college graduates but the overall education.

Christ, what a thread.
    Waterslide likes this.

I live in Southern California and was in education up until 5 years ago. When my kids went to college in 1992 and 1993, we spent a ton. One daughter went to ivy league and it cost about $60,000 for her degree. That is with loans and grants. It would have been over $100,000 without. This does not include her books and supplies, but does include room and board. Our youngest went to an non ivy league and got a ton of scholarships and cost us a lot less. Today my oldest grand child is 13 and I shudder to think of how his parents will pay for college. It is one of the reasons Canada has so many college graduates, the costs are not ridiculous. They both worked while in college but there is no way you can really "work your way through college" nowadays.
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information