Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Why don't black Americans swim?

my brothers went through a phase that involved my mother rushing off to the emergency room to get one of them (or both) stitched up at least once a month. and this was just from 'normal' playing, before they started playing rugby or anything actually rough. i think after a while it became a kind of competition and they kept track of how many stitches total they each had.
    and after rugby started... well, then it was broken ribs, dislocated shoulders, more stitches, bruises, sprains, concussions...
    if my parents had sued every time we'd be millionaires by now.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    I was about to mention black women and perms issue. Black women who wear their hair natural don't have to wear about that stuff.

btw, $75? Getting a perm and styled never cost me more than $45.
    *worry

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Yeah but what is "normal" play? We used to run around a concrete playground, regularly fall over and every single kid had some kind of gravel rash on their hands/knees. We used to set up "camps" and make mud pies - they tasted quite good. We had monkey bars set into the same concrete which we were allowed, even encouraged, to climb on. There were the usual "crazes" like marbles, french skipping (that thing with the elastic), conkers and those clacker things that would smash knuckles before you got the hang of it. So long as we went home alive everyone seemed OK with it and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't even occur to most parents to consult the lawyers if their kid came home with a black eye or a chipped tooth.
    That all sounds fine to me, and I'm saying that as a new mum of a 1-year-old. Maybe replace the concrete with something a little more forgiving, hehe.

But I definitely expect my kids to grow up climbing trees, playing sports, eating worms, and playing on monkey bars. Actually, to that end...

Any excuse, you know.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

awww
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    That all sounds fine to me, and I'm saying that as a new mum of a 1-year-old. Maybe replace the concrete with something a little more forgiving, hehe.

But I definitely expect my kids to grow up climbing trees, playing sports, eating worms, and playing on monkey bars. Actually, to that end...

Any excuse, you know.
    Double awwww!so cute!he ll be an athlete that one!
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

There was an African-American swimmer, on the Olympic team, who was going to schools and municipal pools, IIRC, to help address this issue. But I cannot remember his name.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Propagation of incorrect scientific theories such as black people being much less buoyant
    OMG, I got that line from an older relative when I asked why there were no black Olympic swimmers! I was maybe 7 years old but even then I thought it had to be bullshit!

A*O

The theory I heard - and this is hearsay so no flaming - is that blacks have a different ratio of muscle/bone which makes them superb runners/jumpers but rubbish swimmers. I don't know if it's true but I have to say that the best track athletes tend to be black and the best swimmers tend to be white. But that's at the elite level. It doesn't explain why the general black population (or Asian or Indian) doesn't have swim skilz.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^ Yes I've read that about the athletes before too.

One of the Navy SEALs on my old DS in Coronado had the same theory about blacks and bone mass. Ironically, he was the first African-American SEAL to be stationed there. He was a nice guy, but a tad anti-black. He was very fair-skinned with green eyes too.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

My best friend, who is black, does not know how to swim. She'll go out on the boat with us but won't go into the water. This past Saturday we all went on the boat to an island that we hang out on and just float in the water. She actually got in the water, mind you this is knee deep water but she is still terrified of it, and floated with a noodle for the very first time. She was so excited that she was crying tears of joy because she never knew what it is like to just chill out and float in the water. She is now willing to try to learn to swim.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

my black family members (from arkansas) wouldn't go on cruises for the longest time! i dont know if its black and/or southern thing, but they're finally going on one this fall and they're all in their 50s and 60s

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The theory I heard - and this is hearsay so no flaming - is that blacks have a different ratio of muscle/bone which makes them superb runners/jumpers but rubbish swimmers. I don't know if it's true but I have to say that the best track athletes tend to be black and the best swimmers tend to be white. But that's at the elite level. It doesn't explain why the general black population (or Asian or Indian) doesn't have swim skilz.
    I've seen studies that indicate that swimmers had the highest percent bodyfat among top-level athletes, so maybe there is something to the idea that you have to be buoyant to be a good swimmer. When I was at about 3% body fat, it felt like I had to use just as much energy to stay at the surface as move forward.

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    When I was at about 3% body fat
    at that body fat % would you say you looked more like kelly ripa, rachel zoe or some 'roid head?

I dunno my play structures as a kid were always over sand, so if you fell off it wasn't that big a deal. It was a big ass sandbox with a big wooden, plastic and metal play structure. It was the best! You never got really hurt. A few bumps and bruises maybe, or a scrape but who cares?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information