Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't black Americans swim?

My uncle is a retired Navy diver and he made us do exercises before we were allowed to swim in his pool. One of them was that we had to tread water for at least 5 minutes and do these "bob" things where you go down in the deep end and gradually sink to the bottom, come back up for air and go back down again. I feel pretty confidant I can swim from his lessons but I still put on a life jacket when we go out because even the strongest swimmer cannot fight the current or rip tide.

Elite Member

I never had a swim lesson...in fact, rarely went to the pool as a kid. My parents were lazy. There's just no other way to say it. I think a couple of times when we went to a lake or something, my dad tried to show me but it takes skill to teach people how to swim.

My kids have had swim lessons since they were about 3 years old. My son at 9 is a pretty good swimmer but still needs to work on rotational breathing and stroking techniques, and my daughter at 5 is just now learning to really swim, but she still wants to stop and put her feet down to take a breath. They take about 10 lessons every summer, and I have to take them to another pool to do them. That's why I say my parents were just lazy.

The college I went to required you to pass a swim test for graduation. I just barely made it. Of course, most freshman who couldn't swim took swim class as their PE so they could get it out of the way, but I didn't and waited until the end of senior year to take the test. Fortunately I was self-taught enough to manage.

I've taken a few lessons as an adult, with DH before kids, and sometimes I take them with the kids (semi-private lessons, just me and them). And swimming is HARD! I don't enjoy it at all, it's a pain in the ass, particularly since I wear contacts, since I have to take them out in the pool and then I can't see anything. But my kids WILL learn how to swim, dammit.

I don't ever remember learning to swim because I was in the water before I can remember. I took my daughter to the Y at 6 months for lessons since we have a pool, a home at the beach and go out on the boat a lot.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

See, back in the day when kids were encouraged to get out of the fucking house, we taught ourselves. Maybe that's stupid but that's pretty much how it went. There was a creek probably about a mile behind our house and in the summer, that's where we spent most of our damn time. Just running and playing, catching crawfish, turtles, snakes, collecting turtle eggs. Out of the six of us, nary a one had a lesson and every damn one of us can swim. Of course, if you didn't manage to learn on your own, my dad would drop your ass into some deep water and "see what happens".

ETA: I cannot believe the number of people on here who endured square dancing! Jebus! I grew up in Louisiana and we NEVER had one square dancing class in PE. We had softball, volleyball, bowling, dodgeball - shit like that!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I will admit, we had to square dance to pass gym class in middle school.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I was wondering if it was maybe in the colder areas where you couldn't always go out. It seems foreign to me that so many of you were unmercifully exposed to squaredancing. In the south, our winters are so mild that we can usually go out for PE, pretty much all year round.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

did anyone else in canada have squaredancing in the 80s or was it just my retarded ottawa school?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    is north america is full of hicks?
    Yes.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

I managed to have my period three weeks out of the month, on PE day.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Not only did I have to square dance, but I also had to do tinikling:

I'd of rather played dodgeball.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    Ah, you're "one of those"! My coach referred to those girls as "The Rag Pack"!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Ah, you're "one of those"! My coach referred to those girls as "The Rag Pack"!
    Yeah, I didn't want to play those reindeer games.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Swimming was part of the curriculum at my school, from the first year of junior school all through until you finally left school. We did all the usual stuff like having to "rescue" a rubber brick from the bottom of the pool while wearing our pyjamas too. I could swim before I started going with the school, but not very well as Ma Kitty is one of nature's bricks (possibly because she has a fear of water, too), but she insisted that I attend the swimming lessons at school every week to ensure that my brother and I didn't end up like her. The end result is that I love to swim.

Also, AFAIK a lot of places will accept babies into parent/child swimming groups as soon as the child has had their vaccinations. Babies are natural floaters and can be taught to swim very easily and from a very, very young age.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1wLVmgChOc[/youtube]

ETA: Soj I feel your pain. We had to take combined drama and dance lessons in the first two years of senior (High) school until we were given the option of dropping it in favour of another lesson. They made us learn line dancing, folk dancing and in one especially horrible lesson our teacher Miss Tennant made us pretend that we were dancing trees to Simon & Garfunkel's Sound of Silence. The memory of being a teen and having to shuffle about in front of my classmates, waving my arms above my head while Miss T wafted around with us (as she was also being a tree) calling out "Wemember! You are a twee! A beautiful, beautiful twee on a bweezy day!" is seared into my memory. And not in a good way.
    Babies swimming is just so cute and looks so natural.

And Oh. My. God. I would have done anything to avoid that hellclass and Miss T. Wafting trees..er..twees..ftl!
    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I used to teach swimming and the #1 priority before you start worrying about technique, etc, is being comfortable holding your breath and putting your whole face/head under water, even for a couple of seconds. Once you conquer that fear the rest is easy.

One trick is to get a large bowl of warm water, put it on a table then hold your breath and your nose if you want to, close your eyes and bend over to put your face in the water. Not your whole head, just the face. Stay there for 3-4 seconds (holding your breath!) and then stand up again and breathe normally. Don't wipe your face dry, get used to the sensation of the water. Keep doing it, maybe increasing the amount of time by a couple of seconds or so when you feel confident to do so and maybe open your eyes too when you are ready. It's amazing how much more confident and in control you will feel when you do go to the pool next time because you won't be worried about getting your face wet.
    This was the very first lesson I had. Except I was not ready and was distracted and the fucker STUCK and HELD my head under the water! so I only lasted five seconds the first time(I was not ready dammit!)..my brothers both lasted over 45 seconds first time. I am still bitter about this. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Great video Kitty. That's what I don't get. Why isn't it just natural for people to swim? I had an experience of minding my own biz in a popular swimming area on a river and was out splashing around, and this guy floating by asked me if I could help him. He said he couldn't swim and was in trouble. Haven't had a life saving lesson in a long time, but it all came back quickly as I did my best to swim out to him, do the hold around his arm and head and swim him back to shore. I had a lot of trouble getting there too, and I had to yell for a help once I got close to shore, I was exhausted. Once he was out of the water, I was a little shocked. He was a very large young man, tall and muscular with our local Mexican gang tats on his neck. He was extremely grateful and humble. I was an out of shape mid 30's mom with a couple beers in me.
    Don't jump into rivers if you can't swim people. Still trying to figure out this strange phenomenon of non swimmers getting in any water.
    Damn the way you describe him I would have at least been tempted to try to perform 'mouth to mouth'...hell you might even be able to get away with it (but I thought he had drowneded!.)
    I manage I d to have my period three weeks out of the month, on PE day.
    Oh now this is one time I wish I would have had a damn period.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also thanks to swimming, my very first *crush* and yeah it was a crush..I just did not know at the time what it was..was on ...Rick the lifeguard at the local pool. I was six years old! and he actually lived on the same street(but about half a mile down) and he was just so damn cute!
    Interesting thing about his house-they actually had a real live old fashioned telephone 'booth' attached to the side of their house-just like someone might have a porch or deck. Here was this bilevel suburban house with a telephone booth stuck on the side! Strange stuff.

*Thank God I never had to be a tree to S&G or do that kikeikingingngnk whatevver shit

A*O

Our PE teachers at my all girls school soon wised up to this one and kept a big "who's having their period" chart on the wall
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

omg how sad

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information