Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who remembers when gas was cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Cry me a river. In Australia we pay the equivalent of just over US$6 per gallon, higher in rural areas and for premium unleaded. Europeans pay even more. High prices are here to stay.
    I worked it out recently & it was $8+ a US gallon (becuase they're smaller than ours, plus we buy gas/petrol in litres now); it's gone up to $9.46/ US Gallon since then....

We also have exceptionally limited public transport esp in rural areas. I live 5 miles to the nearest town (& shop) & there is no bus....
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    Where I come from (Canada) gas is $1.25 a litre, which I believe is $4.84 a gallon
    Better gas up because in Quebec we're up to 1.39$ per litre and Montreal is up to 1.49$. That's 5.16$ (US) for a gallon here in Quebec City and 5.53$ (US) for a gallon in Montreal.
    Last edited by Mariesoleil; June 8th, 2008 at 07:16 AM.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    Better gas up because in Quebec we're up to 1.39$ per litre and Montreal is up to 1.49$. That's 5.16$ (US) for a gallon here in Quebec City and 5.53$ (US) for a gallon in Montreal.
    you guys are paying nearly what we are by C$ to , but the exchange rate is what 1:C$1.90/C$2?
    (i.e. we're paying 1.30 a litre)
    Free Charmed.

1 British pound = 2.00 CAD. So we're paying 5.25$ CAD per gallon here in Quebec City which is equal to 2.61 pounds. For Montreal it's 5.63 CAD per gallon so 2.80 pounds. Luckily I use xe.com to convert, makes it much easier. So if you're paying 1.30 pounds per litre you're still paying almost twice as much as us as you're paying 2.60$ CAD per litre.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

wow! Sorry I thought you said C$1.25 per litre... My bad! (our fuel is priced in litres)

I'll tell my Mr that, he's got a driver that goes on and on (and on) about wanting to move to Canada because it's cheaper & the taxes are less, etc.
    That might shut him up for a day or so! Thanks Marie!
    Free Charmed.

^^ Yes but I think you guys pay alot more than us all over. Don't you have to pay to have a permit to have a TV? Also don't you guys have to pay every minute you use your land phone even if it's not long distance?

ETA: Yeah I did mean per litre. Sorry I made an error. I just corrected it. All these litres to gallons and gallons to litres is confusing me.

I don't really know tbh - I know that I buy most of my clothes from the US, tho. Even with tax certain brands are much cheaper.
    Yes, TV licence for the 5 "free" channels, landline calls are chargable at various different rates, however (and I don't know about Canada but..) on a mobile we get free incoming calls & pay line rental & outgoing calls.
    Apparently we work some of the longer hours in Europe for less pay. Hey, shit happens, you make the best of it, but then again we have more people leaving the UK to emigrate than we had incoming immigration this year....

But 9 dollars to 3 is a big difference!
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    we also had gas rationing in the 70's. license plate ending in odd numbers were on mon wed fri, or something like that, even numbers were tues thur sat. i dont remember how it worked exactly, but i remember that all of us would switch license plates so that we could get gas.
    I remember that as well....

and I remember once my mom being in a gas station line about that time, and the line was so long it stretched from the gas station all the way to my grandparents street, which was like 5 blocks....
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I don't really know tbh - I know that I buy most of my clothes from the US, tho. Even with tax certain brands are much cheaper.
    Yes, TV licence for the 5 "free" channels, landline calls are chargable at various different rates, however (and I don't know about Canada but..) on a mobile we get free incoming calls & pay line rental & outgoing calls.
    Apparently we work some of the longer hours in Europe for less pay. Hey, shit happens, you make the best of it, but then again we have more people leaving the UK to emigrate than we had incoming immigration this year....

But 9 dollars to 3 is a big difference!
    I knew a guy from the UK and he was impressed at how much things were less expensive here.

I do. I also remember when you could just sit there while they filled your tank, checked the oil, and washed your windshield. I miss those days.

It seems so hard to believe that the price per gallon hovered around 1.00 when I began driving...like many of you have said. I remember skipping gas stations that went over a dollar looking for the .98 per gallon stations, lol. Took a lot of road trips back then. No more.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

I looked at my Senior Yearbook and the price of gas was .79 a gal back then. Wow. I also remember picking my friend up at the airport in Jan. 2007 and was so excited I paid 1.69 for gas then!

Oil speculation is a racket. Whenever Goldman Sacs, Morgan Stanley, Warren Buffet, etc. release some report or opinion on oil futures, the price at the pump changes immediately. Gas prices have become like the stock market and change day to day, which is nothing more than an excuse to gouge customers.

Here in Michigan, we pay around .54 a gal in taxes. I'm not sure if that includes the federal tax either.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Hit By Ban Bus!

Taking a Grisswald cross country trip like Chevy Chase is now out of the question if you have a SUV, it will cost a fortune in Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    I also remember picking my friend up at the airport in Jan. 2007 and was so excited I paid 1.69 for gas then!
    just last year?
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

The US IS paying more for gas because the taxes on fuel in other countries is the majority of the cost while in the US it's the minority of the cost.

No one seems to get that.

The problem isn't filling your car up it's heating your home.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information