Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Too many unqualified people going to college

Interesting article. I have no idea what my IQ is but assuredly I belong in the "lower tier." I entered the job market after high school due to family situations, and here I am years later going to a local university at night after work. I am studying the business field, though I work in a field that is heavy with those with an engineering and sciences degree.

I certainly don't think I'm wasting my time studying what I am studying. In my industry not having a degree is not common, but my job doesn't require formal education as much as work ethic and dedication. Still that leaves me many steps behind my contemporaries, and even having a degree in basket weaving means you still have a degree and opens up opportunities (First thing people ask is what school you went to, not necessarily what did you study).
    I am not in it solely for the degree either I am studying it for knowledge.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Sometimes I think I should be majoring in basket-weaving! Cuz I love my papers when they're finished but the process on many of them is so tedious - esp. when there are too many due in a short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    What you get is a decent education that you actually participated in. That's not discount-worthy; that's priceless.

I have a fair number of students like the ones you described but trust me, they aren't getting A's from me no matter how much they complain to me or threaten me.
    But because those students get As for not doing the work, I feel that it wasn't decent. I wish I would get more teachers like you who don't let people have a free ride.

I think that is more of the problem anymore. People expect things for free. At least that is the problem at the University I attend.

Hit By Ban Bus!

In Brazil, the big problem are the private colleges. When they're federal or state (public schools are at the top), it's really hard to get in, and either you have a high IQ or you simply don't stand a chance. The few who do "get lucky" will never finish and eventually will drop out. The problem, however, is that you can see a fucking private college in every corner, and in some even a braindead person can get in. Unemployment rates are high, and the best recipe to suceed here is to buy a diploma and have daddy or another relative get you a job.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    You should've read some of the philosophy papers...

"In this essay I'm going to argue why I don't think that this is a really good argument for proving [X]"
    I can match that.

My supervisor is illiterate. I am told at least once a week that I should have her job. Whenever she has to write a policy or something, she has her daughter do it (daughter has a bachelor's degree in who-knows-what, probably Nose Picking). The results are always good for a laugh.

I would like someone here, anyone, to explain what the hell this is supposed to mean - it's a new policy these 2 "educated" clowns wrote:

POLICY

When implemented, time-out interventions are used in accordance with a process established by care, treatment, and agency leaders. Time-out is a safe-no harmful behavior management system designed to help service providers provide for the best possible care, welfare, safety, and security for disruptive clients.

PROCEDURE

The staff at (name of agency) will implement the following objectives:

1. Preventive Technique
    * Identify useful nonverbal techniques which can help to prevent acting out behavior.
    * Use verbal technique to de-escalate behavior
    * Limit time-out to no more than 30 minutes
    * Time-out occurs in an unlooked room
    * The use of time-out is consistent with clients plan for care-treatment plan
    * Intimidation, force on threats are prohibited
    I left the spelling & grammar (or lack thereof) intact. I particularly like the use of the outline; there is a number one, and that's it.

Somebody please explain to me what the fuck this is supposed to mean, and then explain to me how these 2 people were allowed to graduate with degrees.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

wow, I could possibly have her job, too? I feel bad that she's illiterate but how do you hold on to a job with that kind of incompetence?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Um, I'm pretty sure that she was sleeping with the CEO. Yep. We all are.

A*O

This is all the inevitable consequence of the No Fail education philosophy that starts in Grade 1 and continues right through to Grade 12 and beyond. It gives kids a hugely inflated sense of entitlement and a totally distorted perception of their actual abilities when they have constantly been told by teachers (and parents) they they are special, amazing, incredible. The very concept of 'failure' is totally alien to them and so when they are finally exposed to a least a token amount of acadamic or intellectual rigour when they enter higher education they either quickly drop out because it's all 'too hard' or demand passes for sub-standard work.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    It's a worldwide phenomenon. The education system generally from top to bottom is dumbing down. A university degree today doesn't carry the same prestige it did even 10 years ago because a frighteningly high number of grads with 'good' degrees are still semi-literate and need a calculator to do basic arithmetic.
    i agree. i think part of the problem too is that high school is getting way too easy. i went to school in switzerland, public high school, and i was one of the last classes to graduate under the old matura system which was really rigorous and demanding, not just in terms of intelligence but also the workload and commitment it demanded from students. but then a few years later the system was reformed because it was too 'elitist' and only about maybe half or a bit more of students that finished 9th grade qualified for the matura programme. the rest went on to do apprenticeships or vocational training or went to schools that were for a type of high school diploma that didn't qualify you for entrance at university.
    and then of the ones that did qualify for the 4 years of matura, a lot dropped out along the way or, if their parents could afford it, went to private schools where they got a lot more help to complete it.
    that meant that by the time you got to uni you had been trained not just in maths and science but also had analytical and language skills that far surpass those right now, and unis weren't as overcrowded and the general level was better.
    i went to uni in canada and i was shocked at the difference between what i'd been taught and what the general level of high school graduates in north america was. the first year or two of uni was basically spent teaching stuff i'd learned in high school. it wasn't the case for everyone but there were a lot of people that didn't know how to analyse a text properly and write a proper essay. i mean, that's the sort of thing you should know before starting university. and the weeding out process should already start before university and it seems that's less and less the case. if a university degree is going to start meaning something again there has to be a tougher, more selective process and less people should be allowed in to begin with. and they have to do away with the lesser degrees like concentrations and it should all be at the level of at least an honours degree - a minimum of 4 years and a thesis at the end, and you shouldn't be able to pass without at least a 65 or 70%. a passing grade at uni here in geneva is 4 out of 6, in canada it was much lower and it was only if you were in the honours programme that you had to maintain a C average.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

At my uni...I think you have to maintain an A average to qualify for honours degree (that's what I remember reading when I looked into it but I could be remembering it wrong) but I'm sure there are ways to get around it. Maybe depends on the uni and department, too...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

A*O

A lot of (mainly private) schools in Australia are now offering the International Baccalauriat as an alternative to a local high school graduation qualification. The IB is MUCH more demanding and requires a much higher level of academic ability and discipline. It also enables students to study overseas as it's an internationally recognised qualification. It's only for the brighter kids of course - I've seen some IB coursework and exam papers and it's TOUGH - but surely that's the whole point of higher education anyway? Call me elitist but I think a university education should be something you earn. It's not an automatic entitlement, especially if you basically don't have the smarts for it.
    Dame Edna Everage

oops, moomies you're right actually, it's higher than that, the C is just the minimum you can get in a course and still pass, and C is 75%.

A*O, i agree the IB can be very tough. 3 of my siblings did that and it was tough. the problem i have with the IB is that kids can also coast by because there are different levels in it and kids can choose, say, highs in easy courses and lower levels in maths and english and other more demanding classes. of course then it affects the unis and programmes they can apply to but they can still graduate with an IB...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

sputnik, please analyse the policy I posted & explain it to me, especially this part:

When implemented, time-out interventions are used in accordance with a process established by care, treatment, and agency leaders.

A*O

Find any random UK National Health Service document and you will see page after page of this meaningless drivel. The 'management consultants' who produce it are paid huge amounts of taxpayers money that would be better spent on a new operating theatre or whatever but it gives the impression that everything is under control.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    sputnik, please analyse the policy I posted & explain it to me, especially this part:

When implemented, time-out interventions are used in accordance with a process established by care, treatment, and agency leaders.
    hahaha she must have slept with all her college professors too because that policy is convoluted and repetitive and just... wow, does she not know how to write a simple sentence?

by the way, what's your line of work? what are time-out interventions? to me, a time-out was when i would stick the kid i used to babysit for in his room to calm him down (he had ADD and couldn't even look at sugar without getting all wound up).

i really love the bit about helping service-providers provide

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information