Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are there just too many people in the world?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    People act like large families are something new. Actually the number of children per household has dropped over the years.
    That's true but life expectancy was much shorter in the past, and infant/child mortality rates were much higher. The high birth rate was balanced by a high death rate.

The world is definately overpopulated, and it is becoming worse as the population is exploding in third world countries. I am a strong believer in motherhood, but something has to be done to institute family planning programs in these countries. Dirt poor women don't have the means to raise 5+ children. These countries can't sustain the high rate of population growth. It will only lead to more starvation, death, unemployment, violence, poverty, wildlife extinction, environmental destruction, etc.

I also agree that the world doesn't have enough resources for the 1.3 billion Chinese to live a Western lifestyle. It sometimes scares me to think what kind of world my grandchildren are going to grow up in. We're totally fucking the environment (and indirectly ourselves by doing so), and causing one of the largest mass extinction events in history. It's just sad thinking of a world where majestic mammals like tigers, pandas and apes no longer roam free in the wild because of human selfishness.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Considering the strain it puts on the environment and resources, the number of children each family has should be limited. In that regard, China has the right idea.
    Yeah...except then their rich people just up and immigrated to other countries without that law.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Exclamation C.I.A. Chief Lists Population as a Top Concern

C.I.A. Chief Lists Population as a Top Concern

May 1, 2008, 12:26 pm
    By Andrew C. Revkin

Gen. Michael V. Hayden, the director of the Central Intelligence Agency, yesterday described three troublesome trends that distinguish this century from the last, and the exploding populations of poor places topped his list. Interestingly, energy shortages (and climate change) were not on his list. (The other trends were growing divisions between the United States and Europe and China’s emergence.) I’ve sent a query to the agency’s press office to find earlier statements on fossil fuels and security.
    As for population, General Hayden, speaking at Kansas State University, said:
    Today, there are about 6.7 billion people sharing our planet. By midcentury, the best estimates point to a world population of more than 9 billion. Most of that growth will occur in countries least able to sustain it, a situation that will likely fuel instability and extremism, both in those areas and beyond.
    Many poor, already fragile states — where governance is difficult today — will grow rapidly. In Afghanistan, Liberia, Niger and the Democratic Republic of Congo, the population is expected to triple by midcentury. The number of people in Ethiopia, Nigeria and Yemen will more than double. Furthermore, all of those countries will have large concentrations of young people. If their basic freedoms and basic needs — food, housing, education, employment and so on — are not met, they could be easily attracted to violence, civil unrest or extremism.
    A hillside shanty town in South Africa (Credit: Vanessa Vick for The New York Times)
    He also stressed the significance of China’s emergence as a superpower:
    If Beijing begins to accept greater responsibility for the health of the international system, as all global powers should, we will remain on a constructive, even if competitive, path. If not, the rise of China begins to look more adversarial.
    This all echoes an early post here in which I interviewed Joseph Chamie, the former head of the United Nations population office, who described an extraordinarily variegated world of imploding and exploding populations, and inevitable rivers of migration and sources of conflict.
    It’s no accident that the subheading of Dot Earth is “Nine billion people. One planet.” That prospect holds questions far beyond how much biodiversity will remain, and what the temperature will be.

C.I.A. Chief Lists Population as a Top Concern - Dot Earth - Climate Change and Sustainability - New York Times Blog

Gold Member

You think there are too many illegal migrants in the US and Europe now? It's only going to get worse in the future, as desperate people from these poor, overpopulated countries migrate en masse. I saw an illustration of the projected mass migration of Middle Easterners and Africans who will come to Europe in this century, where the population is actually aging and declining, due to low birth rates. This is bound to inflate racial and ethnic tensions and nationalism.

I hate to say it, but I think there is going to be some kind of natural disaster or disease that wipes out a huge chunk of the world's population in this century. The rate of population growth in third world countries is simply unsustainable.

Johann Hari: Are there just too many people in the world?
    A rebel serial killer with a cause.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information