Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there just too many people in the world?

Relax. This planet will be around LONG after it's shaken us off. I'll bet the rest of the animals will breathe huge sighs of relief once we're gone.
    Even if we nuke it, life will survive, if it's lucky, we won't.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Considering the strain it puts on the environment and resources, the number of children each family has should be limited. In that regard, China has the right idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Considering the strain it puts on the environment and resources, the number of children each family has should be limited. In that regard, China has the right idea.
    What they have wrong is their traditional beliefs that if they don't have a son, their family name will die...so they abort female fetus and leave female infants to die because they can only legally have one child...but I've heard that they can pay a penalty and have more children, and I've also heard in rural china they don't report some births and keep the children that way...

Quote Originally Posted by Rica View Post
    What they have wrong is their traditional beliefs that if they don't have a son, their family name will die...so they abort female fetus and leave female infants to die because they can only legally have one child...but I've heard that they can pay a penalty and have more children, and I've also heard in rural china they don't report some births and keep the children that way...
    True, but imbeciles like the Duggars or others who feel they can have as many children as they want are not tolerated.
    Last edited by ConstanceSpry; May 22nd, 2008 at 09:30 AM. Reason: grammar correction

People act like large families are something new. Actually the number of children per household has dropped over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    People act like large families are something new. Actually the number of children per household has dropped over the years.
    People used to have large families because they needed/wanted cheap labor for farming, harvesting, etc. They also wanted someone to take care of them in their old age. None of these reasons are valid nowadays.

^ There were also no birth control pills or condoms in the 1800s and earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    People used to have large families because they needed/wanted cheap labor for farming, harvesting, etc. They also wanted someone to take care of them in their old age. None of these reasons are valid nowadays.
    Who's to say what's valid? I know a lot of people that still have chidren because they feel that they need someone to take care of them in their old age. It's not my place to say why or how many children a person is entitled to have. The way I see it, I will have the number I want, and everyone else can have the number they want. If someone wants 16 children it's no skin off my back; I don't have to feed, bathe, change their diapers, support or look after them. And this bullshit of harming the world is bullshit in itself....this world has always been f*cked up and always will be, no matter how many people occupy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Who's to say what's valid? I know a lot of people that still have chidren because they feel that they need someone to take care of them in their old age. It's not my place to say why or how many children a person is entitled to have. The way I see it, I will have the number I want, and everyone else can have the number they want. If someone wants 16 children it's no skin off my back; I don't have to feed, bathe, change their diapers, support or look after them. And this bullshit of harming the world is bullshit in itself....this world has always been f*cked up and always will be, no matter how many people occupy it.
    I totally disagree, but I respect your opinion.

Hit By Ban Bus!

The world is not fucked up, its what you make of it...

yes
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

Yeah, stuff like this makes me glad that I don't want to have kids. I'm part of the solution: the breeding stops here!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    ^ There were also no birth control pills or condoms in the 1800s and earlier.
    most infants didn't survive to childhood either

^Yeah, the world population didn't reach a billion until somewhere in the 30s. Imagine that! Planet earth with only 1 billion people on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    ^Yeah, the world population didn't reach a billion until somewhere in the 30s. Imagine that! Planet earth with only 1 billion people on it!
    lies and slander!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information