Login to remove the ads!
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Susan G Komen ends Planned Parenthood grants

Hahahaha, that would be awsome for her to get all of those thank you cards from pp.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida

This is the closing comment in the message I sent to SGK:

For the record, in the USA ,you are innocent until proven guilty yet you have chosen to punish Planned Parenthood because they are being investigated by a right wing group. They have not been proven to have done anything inappropriate but you took action anyway. I am now going to ask that SGK be investigated to determine if you have done anything to jeopardize your not-for-profit status and if there have been any misappropriation of funds.

I have now sent messages to the Senators from my state and well as the Congressman. Maybe if enough people ask that they be investigated they will get some heat.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

love it! ^^^
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Wall o'text should be outlawed. Paragraphs are everyone's friend.

If we can just keep this up and not waver, we will send a strong message and I hope, economic bad news to not only the SGK, but to every politician out there.
    They can learn quickly with enough outrage, especially since most of us are quietly in the background the rest of the time.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I fully support PP as well and any money that I would have given to SKG will go directly to PP from now on. I used PP when I was uninsured in college and again when I was 24 and lost my insurance. I found a lump and wouldn't have been able to have it checked by doctors if it wasn't for PP (fortunately it wasn't cancer). I know that they have helped countless women like me for little to nothing out of pocket.

I really don't think SGK fully support women's rights, so as a woman and mother of two girls, I can't support them even if they do end up reversing this decision.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    If we can just keep this up and not waver, we will send a strong message and I hope, economic bad news to not only the SGK, but to every politician out there.
    They can learn quickly with enough outrage, especially since most of us are quietly in the background the rest of the time.
    I feel bad because I have quietly watched the attempted vilification of PP in the last few years and have done nothing. They will now go on my yearly list to donate to.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    I fully support PP as well and any money that I would have given to SKG will go directly to PP from now on. I used PP when I was uninsured in college and again when I was 24 and lost my insurance. I found a lump and wouldn't have been able to have it checked by doctors if it wasn't for PP (fortunately it wasn't cancer). I know that they have helped countless women like me for little to nothing out of pocket.

I really don't think SGK fully support women's rights, so as a woman and mother of two girls, I can't support them even if they do end up reversing this decision.
    Understand completely. After two public uproars, you have to question their judgment.
    And what dullard ok'd the hiring of a political persona to lead this mess?
    I realize they are getting kudos from the far right. I just hope we triple that, at least.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I feel bad because I have quietly watched the attempted vilification of PP in the last few years and have done nothing. They will now go on my yearly list to donate to.
    You are not the Lone Ranger there! I,too am guilty. No more. We need to be more on guard and ready to pounce.
    Right now, if you can afford $5, any thing!

Donate to Planned Parenthood Online - Planned Parenthood Action

Alright - movement is happening. The Connecticut affliate of SGK has said they will continue to fund PP of new England. Please take a moment to send a message to your local affiliate too. I just sent one to Philly with a copy of the statement from CT and demanded that they follow suit. Keep the pressure on!

Susan G. Komen Loses Support After Planned Parenthood Decision

Susan G. Komen Loses Support After Planned Parenthood Decision

Stacey Tillman, a 47-year-old woman from Sandusky, Ohio, says she has donated over $300 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure each year for the past nine years. The issue is close to her heart, she says, because her aunt had breast cancer.

This year, however, following the news that Komen has pulled breast exam funds from Planned Parenthood for political reasons, Tillman is sending her money straight to the family planning provider instead.

"I donated $250 this morning, and then I'll see what I can do in a couple months if I can get more," she told HuffPost in a phone interview. "I've had family members in financial difficulty that have used Planned Parenthood for pap smears and breast cancer screenings. They're getting my money now because they help the needy and the people who fell through the cracks."

After partnering with Planned Parenthood for the past five years to provide cancer screenings to low-income patients, Komen announced on Tuesday that it would sever ties with the family planning provider because it is under investigation in Congress. However, the groups that prompted that investigation are anti-abortion advocacy organizations that have long criticized Planned Parenthood over the fact that some of its clinics offer abortions.

Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) and Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.) both criticized and revoked their support for Komen on Wednesday. "I was perplexed and troubled to see the decision by Susan G. Komen for the Cure to cut off funding for life-saving breast cancer screenings through Planned Parenthood because of a political witch hunt by House Republicans. I truly hope that they will reconsider this decision and put the needs of women first," Boxer said in a statement.

"I have been a big booster of the Susan G. Komen organization, but not anymore," Speier said on the House floor.

One of Komen's own affiliates withdrew its support as well. The Connecticut affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure said in a statement on Wednesday that it "shares" people's frustration over the decision and that it will continue funding Planned Parenthood of New England.

"The decision regarding the funding of Planned Parenthood was made by Susan G. Komen for the Cure National Headquarters," the group posted on its Facebook wall. "Susan G. Komen for the Cure Connecticut enjoys a great partnership with Planned Parenthood, and is currently funding Planned Parenthood of Southern New England. We understand, and share, in the frustration around this situation. We hope that any investigation prohibiting Planned Parenthood from receiving Komen grants is promptly resolved."

Komen has faced a massive social media backlash since announcing the decision, with angry people flocking to its message boards and Facebook wall to announce that they will no longer donate to the breast cancer charity.

Many commenters on Facebook have complained that Komen is scrubbing some of the more negative comments from its wall, but a spokesperson for Komen said the organization is only deleting the profane ones.

"We have not and do not scrub negative comments from Facebook unless they include profanity," said Leslie Aun, vice president of communications for Komen. "There have been some serious misrepresentations of our position, which is unfortunate. The level of interest reflects the fact that people care deeply about breast cancer and women's health issues."

The main sentiment among the thousands of people posting online seems to be that regardless of one's position on the issue of abortion, it is wrong to politicize women's health. According to a new Polipulse analysis of online conversations about the issue, only 26 percent of people believe Komen made the right decision. Nearly a quarter of the people who expressed criticism of Komen's decision online said they were going to pull their donations from Komen.

In contrast, Planned Parenthood has seen a huge influx of financial donations in the 24 hours since Komen broke ties. While the organization has not officially released the new donation numbers yet, a source close to the issue said they've raised "hundreds of thousands" of dollars in individual donations during that period. That, combined with a donation of $250,000 from Texas oil executive Lee Fikes and his wife Amy for a "Breast Health Emergency Fund," could put the family planning provider on track to match or surpass the roughly $680,000 it received from Komen in 2011.

Planned Parenthood said it also saw a spike in people making appointments for breast examinations Wednesday.

"The silver lining is that more people than ever are aware that Planned Parenthood provides breast exams, and we're seeing more people calling us today to make an appointment," Tait Sye, a spokesperson for Planned Parenthood, told HuffPost. "Politics should not get in the way of women's health, and people respond powerfully when they see politics interfering with women's health."

UPDATE: 3:40 p.m. -- Planned Parenthood announced on Wednesday that it has received $400,000 from about 6,000 donors since Komen announced it was cutting funding to the organization on Tuesday afternoon.

The donations "send a message to stand up to bullying and protect access to health care," said Sye.

Sluce-that is so great! Thank you for sharing.

The Denver metro SGK has also stated they will continue to fund PP. I'm sure more regional offices will be doing so soon.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Top Komen Official resigns over Planned Parenthood cavein
    An entirely avoidable, and deeply regrettable, controversy has been raging this week over the decision by the (formerly highly esteemed) Susan G. Komen For the Cure foundation, the world's leading breast-cancer research advocacy group, to cut its support for Planned Parenthood, which used Komen dollars (about $600,000 annually) to pay for breast-screening exams for poor people. (The Atlantic's Nicholas Jackson has an excellent summary of the controversy so far.)

Komen, the marketing juggernaut that brought the world the ubiquitous pink ribbon campaign, says it cut-off Planned Parenthood because of a newly adopted foundation rule prohibiting it from funding any group that is under formal investigation by a government body. (Planned Parenthood is being investigated by Rep. Cliff Stearns, an anti-abortion Florida Republican, who says he is trying to learn if the group spent public money to provide abortions.)

But three sources with direct knowledge of the Komen decision-making process told me that the rule was adopted in order to create an excuse to cut-off Planned Parenthood. (Komen gives out grants to roughly 2,000 organizations, and the new "no-investigations" rule applies to only one so far.) The decision to create a rule that would cut funding to Planned Parenthood, according to these sources, was driven by the organization's new senior vice-president for public policy, Karen Handel, a former gubernatorial candidate from Georgia who is staunchly anti-abortion and who has said that since she is "pro-life, I do not support the mission of Planned Parenthood." (The Komen grants to Planned Parenthood did not pay for abortion or contraception services, only cancer detection, according to all parties involved.) I've tried to reach Handel for comment, and will update this post if I speak with her.

Three sources told me the organization's top public health official, Mollie Williams, resigned in protest immediately following the Komen board's decision to cut off Planned Parenthood.
    The decision, made in December, caused an uproar inside Komen. Three sources told me that the organization's top public health official, Mollie Williams, resigned in protest immediately following the Komen board's decision to cut off Planned Parenthood. Williams, who served as the managing director of community health programs, was responsible for directing the distribution of $93 million in annual grants. Williams declined to comment when I reached her yesterday on whether she had resigned her position in protest, and she declined to speak about any other aspects of the controversy.

But John Hammarley, who until recently served as Komen's senior communications adviser and who was charged with managing the public relations aspects of Komen's Planned Parenthood grant, said that Williams believed she could not honorably serve in her position once Komen had caved to pressure from the anti-abortion right. "Mollie is one of the most highly respected and ethical people inside the organization, and she felt she couldn't continue under these conditions," Hammarley said. "The Komen board of directors are very politically savvy folks, and I think over time they thought if they gave in to the very aggressive propaganda machine of the anti-abortion groups, that the issue would go away. It seemed very short-sighted to me."

Hammarley explained that the Planned Parenthood issue had vexed Komen for some time. "About a year ago, a small group of people got together inside the organization to talk about what the options were, what would be the ramifications of staying the course, or of telling our affiliates they can't fund Planned Parenthood, or something in-between." He went on, "As we looked at the ramifications of ceasing all funding, we felt it would be worse from a practical standpoint, from a public relations standpoint, and from a mission standpoint. The mission standpoint is, 'How could we abandon our commitment to the screening work done by Planned Parenthood?'" But the Komen board made the decision despite the recommendation of the organization's professional staff to keep funding Planned Parenthood.

Hammarley was laid off by Komen last year as part of a reorganization of the group's media division, but he says he has no bitter feelings toward the group: "This organization has saved lives and raised consciousness all over the world. It's an extraordinarily successful story, and I couldn't find a single bad word to say about its work. But it has had some growing pains in its politics and we see that with the Planned Parenthood story."

He called the controversy over Planned Parenthood funding "a burr in the saddle of Komen, but it withstood the issue for years and years." Hammarley said the issue became newly urgent after Handel was brought on last year. "The internal debate on a senior level rose in the past eight months or so, coinciding with her hiring."

Another source directly involved with Komen's management activities told me that when the organization's leaders learned of the Stearns investigation, they saw an opportunity. "The cart came before the horse in this case," said the source, who spoke to me on condition of anonymity. "The rule was created to give the board of directors the excuse to stop the funding of Planned Parenthood. It was completely arbitrary. If they hadn't come up with this particular rule, they would have come up with something else in order to separate themselves from Planned Parenthood."

Komen officials have denied that the decision has had anything to do with external pressure. In an internal Komen memorandum I obtained entitled "Updated Granting Criteria/Reactive Statement and Talking Points," distributed in December, Komen officials deny to their employees that politics had anything to do with the decision. The memo, written as a Q&A, reads in part:

Q(uestion) 7: Is Komen giving into pressure from the Catholic Church/anti-abortion groups/the political right in making this change?

A(nswer) 7: Komen's decision to fund ANY grant is based on our mission priorities, a thorough community assessment, and strict eligibility and performance standards. Our granting criteria reflect our dedication to our mission and our consistent effort to invest our donors' dollars responsibly in support of our efforts to end breast cancer.

Q8: Planned Parenthood provides health services in many of the nation's poorest communities. How does your new policy align with your mission of serving women who lack resources to pay for important breast health services?

A8: Susan G. Komen is deeply committed to providing breast health services to women throughout the U.S. It is our belief that where a woman lives should not determine whether she lives. Komen provided funds for 700,000 breast screenings last year alone, and provided financial and social support to another 100,000 women, as part of our $93 million investment in education, public health outreach and service to vulnerable women last year alone. That work will continue. We believe these new standards will further enhance the integrity of our granting process and strengthen our overall community health program.

Another memo, this one from Elizabeth Thompson, the president of Komen, outlines to employees the new grant-making criteria:

In order to align the terms of the grant contract with our grant eligibility criteria and to ensure that our granting meets the highest standards, several important updates will become effective January 1, 2012. Specifically:

Currently, a Komen grant may be terminated if, among other things, the grantee loses or changes its tax exempt status, is barred from receiving federal or state funds, or if we learn of any financial and/or administrative improprieties. Going forward, these same standards will now also be used in determining eligibility for Komen grants.

Further, should Komen become aware that an applicant or its affiliates are under formal investigation for financial or administrative improprieties by local, state or federal authorities, the applicant will be ineligible to receive a grant. An organization may regain its eligibility once the investigation is concluded if the organization and its related affiliates are cleared of any wrongdoing.

This last condition, of course, is troubling on its face. Any legislator or prosecutor opposed to any aspect of a breast-cancer-care organization's work could affect its Komen funding merely by announcing the opening of an investigation. (Please read this Atlantic piece by Linda Hirshman for more on the dangerous politics of this decision.) The whole episode is troubling, and quite sad, because it will inevitably affect Komen's ability to do its work, which is of paramount importance to the cause of women's health.

Update: Mollie Williams, the Komen official who resigned to protest the organization's decision to de-fund Planned Parenthood, just sent me this statement, which I am reprinting in full:

Thank you for contacting me. As a public health professional, I must honor the confidentiality of my former employer, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, and for this reason, I 'm not responding to questions about Komen's decision to no longer fund Planned Parenthood.

However, anyone who knows me personally would tell you that I am an advocate for women's health. I have dedicated my career to fighting for the rights of the marginalized and underserved. And I believe it would be a mistake for any organization to bow to political pressure and compromise its mission.

I have deep admiration for Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the millions of women who benefit from Komen's work. It was an honor to oversee and expand their public health efforts during my six years there. At the same time, I respect the work of Planned Parenthood, including their lifesaving efforts to detect cancer in its earliest stages.

The divide between these two very important organizations saddens me. I am hopeful their passionate and courageous leaders, Nancy Brinker and Cecile Richards, can swiftly resolve this conflict in a manner that benefits the women they both serve.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Understand completely. After two public uproars, you have to question their judgment.
    And what dullard ok'd the hiring of a political persona to lead this mess?
    I realize they are getting kudos from the far right. I just hope we triple that, at least.
    I want to help with breast cancer, but I don't think SGK is the only way to make a difference. I hope others support PP or donate their money directly to other breast cancer charities that don't have a political agenda. That retweet from their VP is unprofessional and confirms that she is right-wing and against pro-choice. I don't think SGK should be punishing women in need because people on their board don't believe in a woman's right to choose.

And I don't have much extra money at this time, but I just donated money on the Planned Parenthood website and signed the petition on page 3. Now I need to email my local SGK chapter to continue their PP relationship. I hope others do the same.

Judy Blume: “Susan Komen Would Not Give In To Bullies”

• by Kristina Chew
    • February 2, 2012
    • 6:51 am

Susan Komen would not give in to bullies or to fear. Too bad the foundation bearing her name did. Support @PPact. Save lives.
    That’s what writer Judy Blume said on Twitter yesterday about the Susan G. Komen Foundation withdrawing financial support for breast cancer screenings from Planned Parenthood and its affiliates. Blume also said this:

Tell @komenforthecure: Don’t throw @PPact under the bus!http://bit.ly/xKr21O @CREDOmobile #p2 #fem2

Blume is telling it like it is, something that her readers are more than familiar with. Books such as Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret offered a straightforward account of being an adolescent girl in a changing, maturing body. The teenager characters in Blume’s books are neither princesses or Pollyannas but young people wondering about their sexuality and dealing with complicated, messy feelings, from desire to disgust to crushing sorrow. Forever contained sexually explicit scenes between two teenagers; Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing showed that, yes, kids often don’t like their siblings; Blubber, that kids can be very, very mean.

For being unflinchingly honest and writing books about the things kids actually talk about and experience, Blume has drawn plenty of admirers and a bucketload of critics. Her books have been widely banned, censored, labeled indecent, ridiculed, dismissed.

So when Blume says, as she did on Twitter, that “Susan Komen would not give in to bullies or to fear,” the Komen Foundation should take heed and stop kowtowing to anti-choice groups — to anti-choice bullying.

source: Judy Blume: "Susan Komen would not give in to bullies" | Care2 Causes

Love Judy.
    "Creepy, like when Tom Cruise laughs." - Bloodhound Gang

"I don't know anyone who likes Justin Bieber." - Seth Rogen

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread Information