Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Susan G Komen ends Planned Parenthood grants

They will never recover from this stupidity. Nor should they.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

they got what they deserved and I hope it is a reminder to other organizations. in this day and age, when you do something shitty, your ass gets called out on the carpet. you pull funding, people pull their funding from you. now, piss off!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

So what will the fallout be for Texas now that a court has ruled they can cut off funding for Planned Parenthood?

It's going to be a little more challenging to fight these fuckers than it was SGK.... get a load of this shit:
    http://ktar.com/23/1512800/Court-Tex...renthood-funds
    We appreciate the court's ruling and will move to enforce state law banning abortion providers and affiliates from the Women's Health Program as quickly as possible," Stephanie Goodman, a spokeswoman for the state Health and Human Services Commission, said in a statement.
    The ruling is the latest in the ongoing fight that has pitted Texas against the federal government. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services says that the new state rule violates federal law. Federal funds paid for 90 percent, or about $35 million, of the $40 million Women's Health Program until the new rule went into effect. Federal officials are now phasing out support for the program.
    Gov. Rick Perry has promised that Texas will make up for the loss of federal funds to keep the program going without Planned Parenthood's involvement. In a statement, Perry called Tuesday's ruling "a win for Texas women, our rule of law and our state's priority to protect life."
    "Texas will continue providing important health services for women through this program in spite of the Obama Administration's disregard for our state law and unilateral decision to defund this program," he said.
    Cecile Richards, president of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, said the case "has never been about Planned Parenthood- it's about the women who rely on Planned Parenthood for cancer screenings, birth control and well-woman exams."
    "It is shocking that politics would get in the way of women receiving access to basic health care," Richards said in a statement.
    The case began when Planned Parenthood sued, saying the new Texas law violated its rights to free speech. Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott countered by arguing that lawmakers may decide which organizations receive state funds.
    A federal judge in Austin ruled that the funding should continue pending the trial on Planned Parenthood's lawsuit, saying there's sufficient evidence the state's law is unconstitutional.
    But the three-judge appellate panel disagreed, unanimously finding that Planned Parenthood was unlikely to prevail in future arguments that its free-speech rights were violated.
    Abbott cheered the decision, noting that it "rightfully recognized that the taxpayer-funded Women's Health Program is not required to subsidize organizations that advocate for elective abortion."
    It comes as conservative groups across the nation try to pass and enforce laws to put Planned Parenthood out of business and make getting an abortion more difficult. Earlier this year the same court upheld a new Texas law requiring doctors to perform a sonogram and provide women with a detailed description of the fetus before carrying out an abortion.

How in the fuck is this a win for women??? I cannot even describe how much I hate these fucking Texas politicians!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Why don't they just go all the way and pass a law making it so any woman who has had an abortion must have a big scarlet A tattooed on her forehead? Talk about trying to push things back into the bad old days.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Elite Member

I know there is another Komen thread but this is all that came up in the search -

Komen breast cancer charity cancels walks in seven U.S. cities

Komen breast cancer charity cancels walks in seven U.S. cities | Reuters

(Reuters) - Breast cancer charity Susan G. Komen for the Cure, which suffered a publicity backlash last year after it sought to cut funding to Planned Parenthood, said on Tuesday it was canceling fundraising walks next year in seven cities where money goals have not been met.
    The organization, which says it is the largest non-government funder of breast cancer research, said it was cutting three-day walks for 2014 in Phoenix, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Tampa Bay, San Francisco and Washington. The event will continue in seven other places.
    "The difficult decision to exit these markets was not made lightly, as we know this bold and empowering event has touched the lives of thousands of participants like you," the Dallas-based group said in a message on its Facebook page.
    A Komen spokeswoman said in an email that participation in the three-day walks declined by 37 percent in the past four years, without specifying whether that was the number of participants or dollars raised. The group decided to remove the cities from next year's schedule that have not been meeting fundraising goals, the spokeswoman said.
    It was unclear what the group's fundraising targets were for the walks. Each participant is required to raise a minimum of $2,300 and walks about 60 miles over the three days.
    The charity sparked an outcry last year when it said it would cut funding to Planned Parenthood, a provider of birth control, abortion and other women's health services.
    Komen, which supports Planned Parenthood's efforts to provide access to breast-cancer screening, reversed that decision within days and said it would restore the funding.
    After the controversy, several of the group's leaders stepped down, and the group's founder, Nancy Brinker, stepped down as CEO, though she continued to hold a management role.
    Brinker founded the organization in 1982, two years after her sister, Susan G. Komen, died of breast cancer.
    Komen's signature event is the Race for the Cure, which includes 5 kilometers and marathon races as well as the walks. The group says the events involve more than 1.7 million participants each year.
    Komen will continue to hold walks in Atlanta, Dallas/Fort Worth, Michigan, Philadelphia, San Diego, Seattle and Minneapolis-St. Paul.
    (Editing by Edith Honan and Cynthia Osterman)
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

What a surprise.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

I was unaware that every participant in these walks is required to raise $2300 from personal supporters. Why does anyone sign up for that?
    CHILLY FREE!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    I was unaware that every participant in these walks is required to raise $2300 from personal supporters. Why does anyone sign up for that?
    I was just thinking that myself. Shouldn't a charitable organisation be happy with whatever they get? My OH has taken part in charity walks for Diabetes UK and nobody there told him he couldn't have his participants medal because he didn't reach a set sponsorship target. Hell, they even gave his mum's dog a medal too because she'd done the walk with him!

These arseholes really are in it purely for the money and this news is going to cut into their funding into research even more (because it sure as shit won't cut into any executive salaries) as more people become disgusted with the way they are conducting themselves.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

well, if EVERY participant can't bring in at least $2300.00, how will they give Nancy another 64% raise next year? I hope these bastards continue to "not meet fundraising goals". The reason they are NOT reaching these goals is that we've caught onto your shit! You aren't interested in a "cure", you're after money... you don't care about women at all, you care about lining your pockets! FOAD, bastards!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Side note: a friend of mine was the personal accountant to Dear Susan for a couple of years before her death. She was at her house daily to handle bills,etc. Dear Susan was a total first class bitch to every single person that crossed her path. Her sister is no different,nor was she back then.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Side note: a friend of mine was the personal accountant to Dear Susan for a couple of years before her death. She was at her house daily to handle bills,etc. Dear Susan was a total first class bitch to every single person that crossed her path. Her sister is no different,nor was she back then.
    That probably answers the question I've always wanted to ask Nancy Brinker - Would your sister be proud of the way you've whored out her death for personal wealth?
    Kittylady and greysfang like this.
    CHILLY FREE!

Ha I love it. Pretty soon you will have no support fuckers.
    Bluebonnet and Kittylady like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I refuse to give money to cancer "research". I don't trust any of these "foundations". I'd rather help a cancer patient out personally. Drive them to their treatments, buy groceries for them, encourage them, etc.
    Kittylady and Quazar like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

czb

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    the women i know did this walk in particular because they had a connection to BC - either a mom, sister, or other loved one who died from it and this was their way to honor the person. the people i know also felt they were helping BC research and didn't mind raising the $$$. plus i think the event itself was fun for them and it was a way to connect with BC survivors. kind of like a club and they kept in touch on FB. all these women stopped doing the SGK walks after the PP incident, though.

Thread Information