Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Susan G Komen ends Planned Parenthood grants

Thank you for contacting me about insurance coverage for birth control. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As you know, President Obama's administration moved forward on an ObamaCare mandate that requires faith- based institutions to offer employees insurance coverage for all FDA approved contraceptives, abortion -inducing drugs , and sterilization. T he Department of Health and Human Services issu ed the mandate and exclude d religious entities and universities from the exemption for religious employers.

I favor "conscience protections" for health care providers who act on religious or moral convictions , and I do not believe that those who are morally and religiously opposed to abortion should be forc ed to pay for these prescriptions. While we disagree on this issue, I sincerely appreciate you r comments .

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about other issues important to you.

My response from David Vitter what a douche
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Susan G Komen Executives Resign Amid Reports os Internal Troubles

Posted: 03/20/2012 5:18 pm Updated: 03/20/2012 5:49 pm

Two top executives at Susan G. Komen for the Cure have announced their resignation, amid reports that the breast cancer charity is struggling to raise money and repair its reputation after its decision to defund Planned Parenthood and subsequent reversal.

Katrina McGhee, Komen's executive vice president and chief marketing officer, privately announced several weeks ago that she will be stepping down on May 4, and Dara Richardson-Heron, CEO of Komen's New York City affiliate, announced her resignation on Tuesday. Both cited "personal" reasons and declined to elaborate.

Komen founder Nancy Brinker informed the staff about McGhee's resignation in an internal email, sent Feb. 28 and obtained by The Huffington Post.

"For personal reasons, she feels it time to make a change," Brinker wrote. "We are thankful she has agreed to do some project work on an ongoing basis in order to stay engaged with Komen."

Richardson-Heron wrote in her resignation letter that she had made the "personal decision to leave ... to pursue new career opportunities," but that it was "not an easy decision."

Komen has been struggling to repair its reputation since the public backlash over its decision, at the beginning of February, to pull cancer screening grants from Planned Parenthood because some of its clinics perform abortions. Komen ultimately decided to restore Planned Parenthood's eligibility for grants, but the public had already soured on the charity for focusing on abortion politics rather than detecting and treating breast cancer.

Susan G. Komen Greater New York City recently decided to postpone its annual fundraising gala because executives "were not certain about our ability to fundraise in the near term," spokesperson Vern Calhoun said in a statement.

A Komen insider told HuffPost that "employee morale is in the toilet" since Komen leadership made the controversial decision to defund Planned Parenthood, one of the nation's most prominent women's health and family planning organizations. The move was led by anti-abortion executive Karen Handel, then Komen's senior vice president for public policy, who has since resigned.

"Brinker in complete meltdown," the source wrote to HuffPost. "People want her to resign but she won't."

Brinker did not respond to a request for comment.

A number of Komen affiliates are reporting lower than usual revenues, including the Baton Rouge, La., Greater Fort Worth, Texas and Southern Arizona chapters. Participation in Race For The Cure, Komen's signature fundraising event, is down. Jaimie Leopold, the executive director of Komen Southern Arizona, told the Arizona Daily Star on Friday that its race had only raised $200,000 of its $700,000 goal so far.

"If 30 percent of the grants we want to give out won't be funded, I think that's a crisis, especially given the recession," Leopold said.

Leslie Aun, Komen's national spokeswoman, said it was "too soon to tell" whether the controversy has had any real impact on Komen's financial situation.

"There has been some lower participation rates in some areas, but also some where we've seen it increase," she said. "We're hoping folks will come back and support the local communities and support the great work of Komen."

Susan G. Komen Executives Resign Amid Reports Of Internal Troubles
    greysfang likes this.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Ah, I love the smell of schadenfreude in the morning!
    lurkur likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

heeheehee I love it
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

I've heard they are way behind on registrations for the Mother's Day, Race for the Cure, in Philly. I pulled my group and several others who have the same.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Awww, I got a lovely thank you card from PP tonight. Suck it SGK.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

It sounds like they're going down hard. They won't recover from this. At least they will never come near the power and prominence they had before.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Yes, all their numbers are way down. There are calls here for Susan's sister (I block her name) to bite the bullet and resign.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Default Susan G. Komen’s Ill-Advised Partnership With a Dictator’s Daughter

The breast cancer charity that managed to make almost everyone angry by defunding and then reinstating funds to Planned Parenthood earlier this year is involved in another poorly thought out venture — its partner charity in Uzbekistan is run by Gulnara Karimova, the ruthless child labor-exploiting fashion designer/pop star daughter of the country's dictator (a dictator who, by the way, has recently come under fire for forcibly sterilizing tens of thousands of his country's women). And so Susan G. Komen for the Cure's attempt to make itself look like its run by a bunch of drunk elementary schoolers continues apace.

Registan blogger Nathan Hamm noticed the ties between Komen and Fund Forum, a charity run by Gulnara Karimova in the Uzbek press. Apparently Karimova's organization received training from Komen officials after signing a partnership deal in January, and since then, Karimova has festooned her personal webpage with Komen marketing logos and used the brand to promote her own image as a fancy international jet setting lady of class and sainthood. Like the Mother Theresa, if Mother Theresa were a sexy pop singer who flew in magical cars to castles in the mountains.

[YOUTUBE]qd8BVcmj0B8[/YOUTUBE]

But Karimova's far from the People of Uzbekistan's Hot Mom she tries so very hard to be. In fact, according to many reports, she's kind of a cruel jerk like her dad. When she divorced her husband in 2001, he was charged with crimes in Uzbekistan, some of his relatives were arrested, and his assets were seized. She was granted full custody of the couple's two children by Uzbek courts. According to Wonkette, Karimova's fashion show was scrapped from New York Fashion Week last fall after human rights protesters made a big deal about how her clothing is made using child labor.

And Wikileaks cables released in 2010 revealed that Karimova's unquenchable vanity and bottomless cruelty have made her "the most hated woman in Uzbekistan." There's also the whole matter of her father, Islam Karimov, secretly running a government program that forcibly sterilizes thousands of women without their knowledge as a sort of fucked up eugenics-free form of population control. Gulnara currently lives in an $18 million dollar house in Switzerland. She's a real life Disney villainess. She's even got a Disney villainess name.

Komen, predictably, has responded to criticism of their ties with Fund Forum by doing the public relations equivalent of covering their eyes with their hands and bursting into tears, and then throwing up all over themselves. A spokesperson for the charity told Hamm that Komen doesn't support Fund Forum, it partners with the National Breast Cancer Association of Uzbekistan, which they believe is a "credible organization doing good work." However, Hamm points out that the National Breast Cancer Association is a subsidiary of the Women's Assembly, an organization that Gulnara helps run. The Women's Assembly's address is the same address as the address for Fund Forum, and the staff at Fund Forum and the Women's Assembly is, uh, the same. So while Komen may not have thought that they were partnering with Fund Forum, they kind of were.

Frankly, I'm at a loss for what people at Komen actually do besides film inspiring cheerleadery commercials designed to make it look like they're trying to cure breast cancer. They're not vetting their partner organizations, they're not thinking through funding decisions, and they're certainly having a tough time rebuilding their image. I can't imagining a partnership with the daughter of an iron-fisted despot will help bring Race for the Cure registrations back.

Clueless rich ladies doing clueless rich lady things has kind of become Komen's modus operandi of late, but unless the charity wants to stupid itself right into the ground, they're going to have to change the way they vet organizations they support. Or maybe they should stop trying to cure breast cancer, and focus on launching a pop music career. It worked (kind of) for Gulnara Karimova.

Susan G. Komen's Ill-Advised Partnership With a Dictator's Daughter
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Komen has done more to fuck themselves this year than I could've imagined. keep up the good work, you ignorant fucks!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

One of my co-workers whom I typically love dearly went off the other day in a convo when I said I refused to support Komen because they were going to cut grants to Planned Parenthood and she said that's exactly why she didn't support them previously, but now did. I had an enlightening talk with her about what Planned Parenthood really provided to women and how cutting funding to PP wasn't helping save anyone and only screwing over women with real health needs. We still don't see entirely eye to eye, but she budged a little. I agree Mel, I hope they continue with the footbullets.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Komen president resigning, founder shifting roles - CenturyLink™

Looks like they continue to implode.

DALLAS (AP) — The president and the founder of Susan G. Komen for the Cure are both stepping down from their roles, the nation's largest breast cancer foundation said in announcing a major leadership shakeup Wednesday. The high-profile departures come in the wake of continuing fallout from Komen's decision earlier this year to briefly end funding for Planned Parenthood.

President Liz Thompson will leave Komen next month and founder Nancy Brinker, who has long been the public face of the charity, will relinquish her chief executive's role for a position focused on fundraising and strategic planning, according to a statement from the Dallas-based organization.

It's the latest shakeup since news emerged in January that Komen had decided to eliminate its funding for Planned Parenthood for breast-cancer screening. Komen said it made the decision because Planned Parenthood was the focus of a congressional investigation, which was launched at the urging of anti-abortion activists.

Komen restored the funding after a three-day firestorm, but it didn't quell the criticism. At least five other high-ranking executives also have resigned, and organizers of many Race for the Cure events saw their participation numbers drop.

Brinker founded the organization in 1982, two years after her sister, Susan G. Komen, died of breast cancer. Thompson joined the group in 2008 to head research and scientific programs, and she was promoted to president in 2010.

According to the statement, which makes no reference to the Planned Parenthood decision or fallout, Thompson said the time was right for her to pursue other opportunities. She hailed the organization's leadership in pursuing a cure for breast cancer and for helping women and men with cancer screening, diagnosis and treatment.

"That legacy will continue. It has been a privilege and an honor to serve in this role," she said.

Brinker praised Thompson's work in expanding Komen's influence in scientific, community health, advocacy and global programs. As for her changed role, Brinker said she assumed the chief executive's duties at the request of the foundation's board in 2009.

"Three years into that role, and 32 years after my promise to my sister to end breast cancer, I want now to focus on Susan G. Komen's global mission and raising resources to bring our promise to women all around the world," she said.

Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, praised both women for their "profound contributions to women's health" and for helping elevate the importance of breast cancer detection and prevention. She also noted that "the Komen-funded Planned Parenthood programs have helped thousands of women in rural and underserved communities get breast health education, screenings, and referrals for mammograms. We are proud to continue this work together."

Some Komen affiliates were among those publicly opposed to cutting off Planned Parenthood. In the days after Komen decided to restore the funding, Komen policy chief Karen Handel resigned. She had opposed abortion as a Republican candidate for Georgia governor and had become a target of those angry about the decision to halt funding to Planned Parenthood.

Her resignation was followed, in quick succession, by Katrina McGhee, executive vice president and chief marketing officer; Nancy Macgregor, vice president of global networks; and Joanna Newcomb, director of affiliate strategy and planning.

And organizers of individual Race for the Cure events — 5K runs and walks that account for most of the charity's fundraising — saw participation decline by as much as 30 percent. Most also saw their fundraising numbers sink, although a couple of races brought in more money.

Race organizers have acknowledged the effect of the Planned Parenthood debacle, which angered people on both sides of the abortion debate.

In response to questions Wednesday about the controversy, Komen spokeswoman Andrea Rader said "I think Liz (Thompson) made clear in her statement that we feel that we've moved past that."

The foundation has invested $1.3 billion in community programs over 30 years to pay for screenings, education, and financial and psychological support for those fighting breast cancer, according to Komen's statement.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Hehe! I love it!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

ha. suck it, bitches.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Somebody call the wahmbulance! Bitches crying everyone's predictions came true.

Thread Information