Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Susan G Komen ends Planned Parenthood grants

We have been distressed at the presumption that the changes made to our funding criteria were done for political reasons or to specifically penalize Planned Parenthood. They were not.
    needle on my bullshit meter just pegged and then smoke started belching out of it
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

I'm with you guys, I will still donate elsewhere from now on. They are bullies!

Elite Member

There is no way Brinkman or anyone on the board of directors didn't fully support the plan to cut out PP. If they were trying to cut ties to organizations under investigation, why pick PP first? Either they want the support of the Xtian Right, or at the very top of their organization Komen agrees ideologically with the Xtian Right agenda.

I don't believe Handel was the only player who wanted to cut funding, though she probably organized and fought it. I believe her when she says she met no resistance from Komen for her initiatives against PP.

Komen gave Handel a job knowing full well her positions on women's health and abortion. She ran for office for dog's sake! Why else would Komen hire Handel if they didn't want to begin sending out a political message by using their monetary clout?

Fuck'em.

Komen will probably survive just fine with their considerable corporate donations. No one should doubt that they have become a political slush fund rather than a charity, however.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

It's my understanding that there has been a huge volume of messages being sent to the corporate sponsors asking them to stop the donations. There was one petition for the pink lids for Yoplait where people were asking them to donate to the American Cancer Society instead.

My biggest fear is that people will forget about this now and allow Komen to regroup and continue with the right wing agenda.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I just got an email from my local affiliate in response to my email to them:

The Komen Philadelphia Affiliate is very happy that the leadership at our headquarters listened to our supporters and the one voice of the asserted by Komen Affiliates nationwide and decided to amend the grant policy.

The Affiliate thanks all those who stuck loyally by us through these past few turbulent days, and we welcome back those whose support may have faltered. Although none of this disrupted our service to the communities we serve, we certainly now look forward to forging ahead in our quest to save lives with an even stronger direction and strategy to lead the fight against breast cancer and to provide breast cancer screenings and services to every woman in need.

With your continued support, activism and trust the Philadelphia Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure looks forward to continuing our leadership and service excellence in the fight against breast cancer... doing whatever we can to fill the gaps of service and embrace as many communities as possible in the support, knowledge, treatment and hope that can save lives today and lay the foundations for a future where this horrible disease is no longer a threat to ANY life.

In thanks and hope,

Your Komen Philadelphia Affiliate Family

Statement from Susan G. Komen Board of Directors and Founder and CEO Nancy G. Brinker

We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women's lives.

The events of this week have been deeply unsettling for our supporters, partners and friends and all of us at Susan G. Komen. We have been distressed at the presumption that the changes made to our funding criteria were done for political reasons or to specifically penalize Planned Parenthood. They were not.

Our original desire was to fulfill our fiduciary duty to our donors by not funding grant applications made by organizations under investigation. We will amend the criteria to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political. That is what is right and fair.

Our only goal for our granting process is to support women and families in the fight against breast cancer. Amending our criteria will ensure that politics has no place in our grant process. We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants, while maintaining the ability of our affiliates to make funding decisions that meet the needs of their communities.

It is our hope and we believe it is time for everyone involved to pause, slow down and reflect on how grants can most effectively and directly be administered without controversies that hurt the cause of women. We urge everyone who has participated in this conversation across the country over the last few days to help us move past this issue. We do not want our mission marred or affected by politics - anyone's politics.

Starting this afternoon, we will have calls with our network and key supporters to refocus our attention on our mission and get back to doing our work. We ask for the public's understanding and patience as we gather our Komen affiliates from around the country to determine how to move forward in the best interests of the women and people we serve.

We extend our deepest thanks for the outpouring of support we have received from so many in the past few days and we sincerely hope that these changes will be welcomed by those who have expressed their concern.

Best regards,

Kathy McGarvey
    AKA, blah blah blah women blah blah komen blah blah breast cancer blah blah we're not actually changing anything blah blah blah, best wishes, kathy mcblah

We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants
    This was addressed earlier in the thread. They CAN'T take back the already-contracted grants. They can't, at least not without losing even more money than they are now. And yeah, anyone can apply... but who will get past the review board?

WTG everyone on this board and elsewhere who ain't taking this $hit.

Feet doing happy dance - however, I also do not plan to give them any more money. Wonder how big their annual walks will be from now on.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Distressed? Go clutch your pearls somewhere else bitches.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    I'm with you guys, I will still donate elsewhere from now on. They are bullies!
    Glad you're back posting!! Love your avatar. Nothing makes me happier than the ugly Kim K Kry.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Glad you're back posting!! Love your avatar. Nothing makes me happier than the ugly Kim K Kry.
    Hi! Thanks, my youngest is almost 20 months now and just started sleeping through the night (was up every 2 hours) and is finally not following me everywhere. I actually have a few minutes to myself during the day and time alone at night! Finally! And I had to steal the Kim K. ugly crying picture and make an avi. SO UGLY! Hahahahaha

I hate this bitch so much.

Karen Handel calls Planned Parenthood a 'gigantic bully'
    By Rosie Mestel, Los Angeles Times / For the Booster Shots blog
    February 10, 2012, 11:15 a.m.

For those who haven't reached the saturation point regarding the fracas surrounding Susan G. Komen for the Cure’s decision — and then reversal — to cease awarding grants to Planned Parenthood for breast-health services, here’s one more snippet of news.

Karen Handel, former senior vice president for public policy at Komen, blasted Planned Parenthood in an interview with the Daily Beast, calling the organization a “gigantic bully, using Komen as its own personal punching bag.”

Handel, who declared her antiabortion views during an unsuccessful run for Georgia governor in 2010, resigned from her Komen position earlier this week. She has since acknowledged her role in the move to drop Planned Parenthood from receiving future Komen grants. In the Daily Beast interview, she said it was “no secret that for some years — long before my time — Komen was dealing with a controversy regarding Planned Parenthood grants …. We needed to find some options for moving to neutral ground. I was tasked with doing that.”

Handel also said that Planned Parenthood and Komen forged a “gentle ladies’” agreement in December that neither group would go public about the funding withdrawal and that, in return, Planned Parenthood would continue to receive funds that had already been awarded.

Handel said Planned Parenthood orchestrated a social media campaign against Komen, which "doesn’t have the strength in the area of social media.”

The report includes Planned Parenthood’s rebuttal to Handel's comments. (They say “anti-choice” groups released the information first.)

Copyright © 2012, Los Angeles Times

Karen Handel calls Planned Parenthood a 'gigantic bully' - latimes.com
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Again, this pisses me off. PP didn't create the social media frenzy, the social media did. Komen would have the same backing for them if they didn't fuck up.

I don't doubt that Komen had their own agenda before Handel came in. That is now very apparant.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Ya know, if you are anti-choice and want to push that agenda, go for it. That's your right. But own that shit, bitch. First she comes up with a plan that is underhanded. Then she lies about it. Then she denies some more and now she's a victim trying to smear the other side. I hate cowards and that's what this conniving piece is all day long.

Is she actually trying to make SGK some underdog mom-n-pop shop without social media resources or savvy? The Susan G Komen Foundation? Seriously? The conservative religious right just gets fucknuttier and fucknuttier. I often wonder if they actually believe what they say or if they clench their nether regions and hope no one calls them on their blatant atrocities against common sense.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Is she actually trying to make SGK some underdog mom-n-pop shop without social media resources or savvy? The Susan G Komen Foundation? Seriously? The conservative religious right just gets fucknuttier and fucknuttier. I often wonder if they actually believe what they say or if they clench their nether regions and hope no one calls them on their blatant atrocities against common sense.
    I don't think reality facing is her strong suit.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I agree. I think her head really IS stuck that far in the sand. To her, it's impossible that that many people conceivably have a different opinion for her. And not only a different one, but one different enough for them to stand up for.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Thread Information