Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Susan G Komen ends Planned Parenthood grants

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Komen is a great group, but politically speaking, they're no match for Planned Parenthood."
    The Komen insider agreed with Fleischer's assessment.
    "Komen's not equipped to spend its days fighting political battles," the source said. "Abortion is not our issue, and I think [leadership] tried to finesse a way out of it, and this investigation criteria was the solution. And it blew up in their faces. They were just naive in the face of [the] incredibly sophisticated Planned Parenthood operation."

I'm kind of offended by this statement, because it insinuates that PP created the uproar, instead of the average citizens, such as myself who donated to PP instead. It was the people the created the uproar, not PP. Truthfully, I think PP was a little shocked that they got as much support as they did.

ITA. I've seen similar comments from people on FB and around the web. Like PP started this mess and through political magic made SGK look bad. It's been really pissing me off. SGK is not the victim here, except of their own stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Komen is a great group, but politically speaking, they're no match for Planned Parenthood."
    The Komen insider agreed with Fleischer's assessment.
    "Komen's not equipped to spend its days fighting political battles," the source said. "Abortion is not our issue, and I think [leadership] tried to finesse a way out of it, and this investigation criteria was the solution. And it blew up in their faces. They were just naive in the face of [the] incredibly sophisticated Planned Parenthood operation."

I'm kind of offended by this statement, because it insinuates that PP created the uproar, instead of the average citizens, such as myself who donated to PP instead. It was the people the created the uproar, not PP. Truthfully, I think PP was a little shocked that they got as much support as they did.
    Yea, that's the line that jumped put at me too. It's patently ridiculous and shows just how political Komen IS that an insider tattle tale is buying that line too.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Gun Distributor, Komen Foundation Team Up To Sell Pink Handgun

Discount Gun Sales LLC, gun, Gun Control, partnership, Susan G. Komen foundation
    SEATTLE (CBS Seattle/AP) – The Susan G. Komen Foundation is teaming up with Seattle gun distributor Discount Gun Sales, LLC, to sell a pink handgun to help raise money for the breast cancer organization.

The gun, a Walther P-22, is already available for purchase at $429.99.

“Discount Gun Sales is proud to team up with the Susan B. Koman [sic] Foundation to offer the Walther P-22 Hope Edition in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month,” the page reads. “A portion of each P-22 Hope Edition will be donated to the Seattle Branch of the Susan G. Komen Foundation.”

The promotion is reportedly a limited time offer, according to the website.

The foundation has been the subject of a great deal of media scrutiny over the past few days after electing to pull funding from Planned Parenthood.

The subsequent resignation of top-seated officials within the foundation added fuel to the fire.

However, on Feb. 3, they announced the decision to reverse the call and reinstate funding for breast exams at Planned Parenthood centers throughout the nation.

“We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women’s lives,” a Komen statement said.

As first reported by The Associated Press on Tuesday, Komen had adopted criteria excluding Planned Parenthood from grants because it was under government investigation, notably a probe launched in Congress at the urging of anti-abortion groups.

Komen said Friday it would change the criteria so it wouldn’t apply to such investigations.

“We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants,” the statement said.

Attempts to reach representatives from Discount Gun Sales and the local Susan G. Komen Foundation chapter were not immediately answered.

assholes....
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    The NBC Nightly News just announced that Planned Parenthood has received 3 MILLION in donations in the last 72 hours. Thank you to the right wing, anti-choice assholes!!!!
    Good job! I'm proud to have had a part in this one and proud of everyone out there who said "Enough!". This is one of those occasions when people were paying attention and just weren't going to take this shit anymore! I love it. The first big business to be taught that lesson this year. I look forward to their demise and the rise of other cancer programs out there that have been overlooked due to SGK being a fucking money hoarding, political pig!
    Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    Gun Distributor, Komen Foundation Team Up To Sell Pink Handgun

Discount Gun Sales LLC, gun, Gun Control, partnership, Susan G. Komen foundation
    SEATTLE (CBS Seattle/AP) – The Susan G. Komen Foundation is teaming up with Seattle gun distributor Discount Gun Sales, LLC, to sell a pink handgun to help raise money for the breast cancer organization.

The gun, a Walther P-22, is already available for purchase at $429.99.

“Discount Gun Sales is proud to team up with the Susan B. Koman [sic] Foundation to offer the Walther P-22 Hope Edition in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month,” the page reads. “A portion of each P-22 Hope Edition will be donated to the Seattle Branch of the Susan G. Komen Foundation.”

The promotion is reportedly a limited time offer, according to the website.

The foundation has been the subject of a great deal of media scrutiny over the past few days after electing to pull funding from Planned Parenthood.

The subsequent resignation of top-seated officials within the foundation added fuel to the fire.

However, on Feb. 3, they announced the decision to reverse the call and reinstate funding for breast exams at Planned Parenthood centers throughout the nation.

“We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women’s lives,” a Komen statement said.

As first reported by The Associated Press on Tuesday, Komen had adopted criteria excluding Planned Parenthood from grants because it was under government investigation, notably a probe launched in Congress at the urging of anti-abortion groups.

Komen said Friday it would change the criteria so it wouldn’t apply to such investigations.

“We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants,” the statement said.

Attempts to reach representatives from Discount Gun Sales and the local Susan G. Komen Foundation chapter were not immediately answered.

assholes....
    nice. you're proud to team up with the Susan B. Koman foundation.... Now, who is Susan B. Koman again? pink guns? come the fuck on, now!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I like this ( SGK might have been hacked late last night):
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Just saw on CNN that Karen Handel, Komen VP, resigned. It's only on the Breaking News ticker, no article yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

APNewsBreak: Komen official quits breast cancer charity over Planned Parenthood dispute

By Associated Press,
    ATLANTA — A high-ranking official resigned Tuesday from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure breast-cancer charity after a dispute over whether the group should give funding to Planned Parenthood, according to a letter obtained by The Associated Press.

Karen Handel, the charity’s vice president for public policy, told Komen officials that she supported the move to cut off funding for Planned Parenthood. She said the discussion started before she arrived at the organization and was approved at the highest levels of the charity.

“I am deeply disappointed by the gross mischaracterizations of the strategy, its rationale, and my involvement in it,” Handel said in her letter. “I openly acknowledge my role in the matter and continue to believe our decision was the best one for Komen’s future and the women we serve.”

Handel said in the letter that the now-abandoned policy was fully vetted by the Komen organization. Its board did not raise any objections when it was presented with the proposed policy in November, Handel said.

Officials with the Komen foundation and Planned Parenthood did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment.

Handel had supported a decision that Komen announced last week to exclude Planned Parenthood, which provides a range of women’s health care services including abortions, from future grants for breast-cancer screenings because it was under government investigation. The charity cited a probe launched by a Florida congressman at the urging of anti-abortion groups.

The breast cancer charity reversed course after its decision created a three-day firestorm of criticism. Members of Congress and Komen affiliates accused the group’s national leadership of bending to pressure from anti-abortion activists. Komen’s founder and CEO, Nancy Brinker, denied the decision was driven by pressure from anti-abortion groups.

Until Tuesday, Handel had publicly kept silent about her role in the dispute.
    In her letter, she said the controversy surrounding Planned Parenthood was long a concern to Komen officials.

“Neither the decision nor the changes themselves were based on anyone’s political beliefs or ideology,” Handel said in the letter. Rather, both were based on Komen’s mission and how to better serve women, as well as a realization of the need to distance Komen from controversy.

A source with direct knowledge of decision-making at Komen’s headquarters in Dallas said the grant-making criteria were adopted with the deliberate intention of targeting Planned Parenthood. The criteria’s impact on Planned Parenthood and its status as the focus of government investigations were highlighted in a memo distributed to Komen affiliates in December.

According to the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of repercussions, a driving force behind the move was Handel, who was hired by Komen last year as vice president for public policy after losing a campaign for governor in Georgia in which she stressed her anti-abortion views and frequently denounced Planned Parenthood.

Brinker, in an interview with MSNBC last week, said Handel didn’t have a significant role in the policy change.

Handel, a Republican, ran for Georgia governor in 2010, winning an endorsement from former vice presidential candidate and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. Handel then lost a primary runoff to former Georgia Congressman Nathan Deal, who won the general election.

Throughout the campaign, Deal accused Handel of being soft on abortion.
    Deal repeatedly attacked Handel over a 2005 vote she took while serving on a metro Atlanta county commission to give more than $400,000 to Planned Parenthood, though not for abortion services. The Georgia affiliate of Planned Parenthood said the money went to a downtown clinic for services such as cervical cancer screenings, testing for sexually transmitted diseases and birth controls.

A longstanding law bans using federal money to pay for abortions except in cases of rape, incest or to protect the health of the mother.
    ___
    AP National Writer David Crary contributed to this story.
    Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    APNewsBreak: Komen official quits breast cancer charity over Planned Parenthood dispute - The Washington Post
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

still not enough. sorry, sgk will forever be tainted by this scandal. never another penny from me no matter what they do now.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I'm happy that evil bitch is out of a job, but SGK is still dead to me.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I agree. They won't get one more cent of money from me. I'll be looking to see what products are sponsored by them and I'll avoid them.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I also will not give them one more penny. There is nothing they could do now to change my mind.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I also will not give them one more penny. There is nothing they could do now to change my mind.
    Yes, because they are not really sorry--if they could have gotten away with it they would have done nothing different.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    Yes, because they are not really sorry--if they could have gotten away with it they would have done nothing different.
    Oh, I think they are sorry alright! Look at the loss of money and prestige. They are not going to recover from this. They have dropped to a new low.
    They never really grasped how many people support all women and thier own choices.
    No woman is forced to have an abortion. No woman should be forced NOT too.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I just got an email from my local affiliate in response to my email to them:

The Komen Philadelphia Affiliate is very happy that the leadership at our headquarters listened to our supporters and the one voice of the asserted by Komen Affiliates nationwide and decided to amend the grant policy.

The Affiliate thanks all those who stuck loyally by us through these past few turbulent days, and we welcome back those whose support may have faltered. Although none of this disrupted our service to the communities we serve, we certainly now look forward to forging ahead in our quest to save lives with an even stronger direction and strategy to lead the fight against breast cancer and to provide breast cancer screenings and services to every woman in need.

With your continued support, activism and trust the Philadelphia Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure looks forward to continuing our leadership and service excellence in the fight against breast cancer... doing whatever we can to fill the gaps of service and embrace as many communities as possible in the support, knowledge, treatment and hope that can save lives today and lay the foundations for a future where this horrible disease is no longer a threat to ANY life.

In thanks and hope,

Your Komen Philadelphia Affiliate Family

Statement from Susan G. Komen Board of Directors and Founder and CEO Nancy G. Brinker

We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women's lives.

The events of this week have been deeply unsettling for our supporters, partners and friends and all of us at Susan G. Komen. We have been distressed at the presumption that the changes made to our funding criteria were done for political reasons or to specifically penalize Planned Parenthood. They were not.

Our original desire was to fulfill our fiduciary duty to our donors by not funding grant applications made by organizations under investigation. We will amend the criteria to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political. That is what is right and fair.

Our only goal for our granting process is to support women and families in the fight against breast cancer. Amending our criteria will ensure that politics has no place in our grant process. We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants, while maintaining the ability of our affiliates to make funding decisions that meet the needs of their communities.

It is our hope and we believe it is time for everyone involved to pause, slow down and reflect on how grants can most effectively and directly be administered without controversies that hurt the cause of women. We urge everyone who has participated in this conversation across the country over the last few days to help us move past this issue. We do not want our mission marred or affected by politics - anyone's politics.

Starting this afternoon, we will have calls with our network and key supporters to refocus our attention on our mission and get back to doing our work. We ask for the public's understanding and patience as we gather our Komen affiliates from around the country to determine how to move forward in the best interests of the women and people we serve.

We extend our deepest thanks for the outpouring of support we have received from so many in the past few days and we sincerely hope that these changes will be welcomed by those who have expressed their concern.

Best regards,

Kathy McGarvey
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Thread Information