Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Susan G Komen ends Planned Parenthood grants

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post

So glad I've never worn a pink ribbon or bought into their whole cure marketing. You almost feel guilty during Komen Month for not contributing.
    i used to think the same thing, until i got BC. I began to look into the different organizations that deal with bc charities. I've never been a supporter of Komen, but i do support Making Strides and of course the American Cancer Society.

Also, even though the pink ribbon started with Komen, its recognized around the world as a symbol for breast cancer. I proudly wear my pink ribbon. There's so much more to it than just SGK. In fact, now i wear it as a sign that it beat SGK
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    [YOUTUBE]3QPZfcYTUaA[/YOUTUBE]
    "Billions of dollars have been raised through the tireless efforts of women and men devoted to putting an end to breast cancer. Yet, breast cancer rates in North America have risen to 1 in 8. "What's going on?" asks Barbara Brenner in Pink Ribbons, Inc. a new film coming in 2012.

This feature documentary visits some of the massive fundraising runs and questions where the money goes and asks 'who really profits from pink ribbon campaigns?'. We meet women with metastatic breast cancer from the IV League support group of Austen, Texas who openly tell us their stories."

For more information: Playlist : Pink Ribbons, Inc. - NFB
    Like the NFB on Facebook: NFB | Facebook
    Follow the NFB on Twitter: Twitter

This post deserves a bump, I will be watching this documentary and telling everyone I know about it.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Such perfect timing for it to come out too!
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

I won't be happy until Karen Handel has been fired.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I want her out on her ass too, but even that gesture won't change my mind about sgk at this point. I'm done with them.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I want her out on her ass too, but even that gesture won't change my mind about sgk at this point. I'm done with them.
    So am I; so are a lot of other people. Pro-lifers are rallying around them I guess, but they are welcome to SGK now, as they see PP as one giant abortion clinic.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    i used to think the same thing, until i got BC. I began to look into the different organizations that deal with bc charities. I've never been a supporter of Komen, but i do support Making Strides and of course the American Cancer Society.

Also, even though the pink ribbon started with Komen, its recognized around the world as a symbol for breast cancer. I proudly wear my pink ribbon. There's so much more to it than just SGK. In fact, now i wear it as a sign that it beat SGK
    You do know they stole the pink ribbon from a little old lady, right?

Aside from that, I do think the ribbon transcends sgk and I don't have a problem with its continued use, in fact I would encourage it. Just go get your ribbon from the fabric store and make your own.

another dissection about how this is not a victory

The Susan G. Komen Foundation released a statement moments ago that many are greeting as a reversal of their decision to cut funding to Planned Parenthood. On Twitter, the Breaking News feed called it a “pledge to continue funding Planned Parenthood,” while Glenn Greenwald called it “an amazing, Internet-driven victory.”

But it’s not.

The new statement does not pledge Komen to reverse its funding decision, and it does not promise Planned Parenthood any new funding. Let’s look at the relevant passage:

“We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants, while maintaining the ability of our affiliates to make funding decisions that meet the needs of their communities.”
    Komen had never intended to renege on its existing grant commitments to Planned Parenthood, as PP themselves noted in their press release announcing the break between the two organizations:

“In the last few weeks, the Komen Foundation has begun notifying local Planned Parenthood programs that their breast cancer initiatives will not be eligible for new grants (beyond existing agreements or plans).“

Komen’s statement that Planned Parenthood will be “eligible” for new grants is a new development, but it commits Komen to nothing. There’s no reversal of the funding cutoff here, and no promise to reinstate Planned Parenthood funding.

This isn’t a victory. Not yet.

Komen Statement on Planned Parenthood is a PR Move, Not A Policy Reversal Student Activism
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

They can bullshit all they want, but the tweet Greysfang posted confirmed where their heads were at. Remember this

Just like a pro-abortion group to turn a cancer orgs decision into a political bomb to throw. Cry me a freaking river.
    2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply
    Retweeted by karenhandel
    https://twitter.com/#!/karenhandel

They can delete all they want, but it's there and we won't forget.
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    [YOUTUBE]3QPZfcYTUaA[/YOUTUBE]
    "Billions of dollars have been raised through the tireless efforts of women and men devoted to putting an end to breast cancer. Yet, breast cancer rates in North America have risen to 1 in 8. "What's going on?" asks Barbara Brenner in Pink Ribbons, Inc. a new film coming in 2012.

This feature documentary visits some of the massive fundraising runs and questions where the money goes and asks 'who really profits from pink ribbon campaigns?'. We meet women with metastatic breast cancer from the IV League support group of Austen, Texas who openly tell us their stories."

For more information: Playlist : Pink Ribbons, Inc. - NFB
    Like the NFB on Facebook: NFB | Facebook
    Follow the NFB on Twitter: Twitter
    Busted!!! And I ain't just talking about that face!

I agree the pro-lifers and right wingers taking over and this wont be the end. Also checked out SKG's Facebook page and it is really depressing. But SO GLAD they were brought down by this shitty decision and it may be a good thing in the long run because this isn't about contraception or even about abortion at the heart of this matter. It is about controlling women's reproductive rights. Abortion is a smokescreen for these nutbags and if they really want to protect unborn babies then why they don't give a shit about post birth ones who are underprivileged? And attacking an organization that offers cheap or free birth control prevents abortions from happening fucktards!

The NBC Nightly News just announced that Planned Parenthood has received 3 MILLION in donations in the last 72 hours. Thank you to the right wing, anti-choice assholes!!!!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    I don't know deb. Ribbons and bumper stickers aren't really my thing. I wonder, with all this money being made through Komen and others why we still don't have blood tests to detect it like prostate cancer has. No, we got to have our boobs squished and irradiated. Even then, mammograms are better at detecting benign lumps than cancer.

All this money and support, I just don't see what it's producing, whether all that dough has been effectual in increasing detection and survival rates of breast cancer.

Good for you for winning the fight! I can't imagine what that was like.

My last donation was to Wikipedia. The next is to PP.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I won't be happy until Karen Handel has been fired.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    They can bullshit all they want, but the tweet Greysfang posted confirmed where their heads were at. Remember this

https://twitter.com/#!/karenhandel

They can delete all they want, but it's there and we won't forget.
    I'm looking around to see if anyone got a screen shot (maybe at Reddit?) of all the tweets Handel deleted from Sept to Jan. No luck yet.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

I'm looking around to see if anyone got a screen shot (maybe at Reddit?) of all the tweets Handel deleted from Sept to Jan. No luck yet.
    I'm finding shots of individual tweets but just a smattering.

http://phoenixwoman.files.wordpress....pg?w=562&h=337

http://images1.dailykos.com/i/user/426/PP_SGK.jpg

her political contributions:
    The Federal Campaign Giving History for Susan G. Komen Founder & CEO Nancy G. Brinker | The Awl
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

I see now it was a retweet (I don't do twitter), but still she endorsed the comment. Here's a screen capture

It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information