Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Straight Same Sex Couple Get Married In NZ

A*O

Sigh. There is no harm. But the people who've been lobbying for gay marriage are getting bent out of shape because two straight guys got married. They seem to be saying it's OK for them but not others and that's illogical Captain.

Look, I don't care who does or doesn't get married if that's how they want to formalise their relationship (or not) but having fought long and hard for equal rights it's a bit hypocritical to start whinging that other formerly discriminated against couples use those legal rights too.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^^^
    totally agree. and i understand where you're coming from but the people whining about gays getting married know they're on the wrong side of history and i'm with you that the people whining about this coupling should stop wasting their time worrying about who's marrying who.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    as long as they're consenting adults, i don't give a crap who gets married and for what reasons.

I also do not see an issue here. I hope they have a prenup.
    No difference then a couple who marries for a green card.

I think the government should remove themselves out of defining partnerships all together. The law should be any adult can make any other adult their "dependent" (for tax and insurance purposes) You can change your beneficiary once per calendar year, and you may only keep one adult beneficiary. Boom. Problem solved. I have never thought it fair that married people get paid more (at least in the military) and married people get higher tax exemptions. That's complete bullshit to me (and I'm one who benefits from it) Why should you pay less taxes because you have an able bodied adult cohabitating with you?
    Also, why should you not be able to place your serious significant other on your health insurance? I don't know. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons that wouldn't work either, but it sounds good right now because I am irritated.
    Rusalka and chartreuse like this.

A*O

Marriage isn't only a religious institution - although less so these days - it's also a legal one and there's a lot of associated baggage. Much of it reflects the social conventions of the time the various bit of legislation were enshrined in a marriage contract and usually based on the fact that the husband (male) was the breadwinner and the wife (female) and kids his dependants. A spouse (either sex) still carries a lot of legal clout in areas like tax, insurance, inheritance, property rights and of course in divorce law and much of it is woefully outdated now.

My mother has a friend who divorced 20+ years ago, both kids grown and left home, but is still fighting her ex for what used to be quaintly known as "maintenance" (alimony). She chooses not to work and lives in the large matrimonial home which she still expects her husband to pay for along with all her other living expenses. Needless to say he's not keen but has to pay lawyers (his AND hers) to duke it out. My mother can't see anything wrong with this scenario because it's still 1953, right?

I'm very glad that gays now have the same right to marry as anyone else. It's long overdue. But I sometimes wonder whether in the rush to get the legislation through there hasn't been enough thought put into the complex and sometimes obscure legal ramifications.
    Dame Edna Everage

What rush? This has been a long time coming and should have happened ages ago.
    Fraudulent marriages (for visa/immigration purposes, for money, etc.) happen in man-woman marriages all the time. Unconventional, weird marriages with bizarre legal ramifications happen in man-woman marriages all the time. Why are these bizarre/unintended legal ramifications only a cause for concern when they happen in same sex unions?

Equality doesn't just mean the same happily ever after for gays and straights. It means the same right to exploit the institution of marriage, the same right to bitter, acrimonious divorces, the same right to abuse the right to marry in order for someone to get a visa, etc.
    Geest, Flygirl, Tati and 1 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

Oy, we are in furious agreement here. My point is that the "old" marriage laws, for better for worse, didn't seem to throw up the unforeseen or unanticipated scenarios that the "new" ones do. I think legislators have overlooked things the could have been clarified or anticipated. The same applies to any new laws I guess but when you are amending centuries old institutional law it requires a lot of careful drafting.
    stella blue likes this.
    Dame Edna Everage

IMO, what these guys have done is nothing more than participate in a stupid stunt for the sake of winning a contest. Their "marriage" has nothing to do with gay, straight, or whatever floats your boat marriage, there's no political agenda behind it. It's the equivalent of having your face tattooed so you can get concert tickets.
    sputnik, *DIVA!, kasippu and 2 others like this.

A*O

True. My issue is with the huffing and puffing from the gay rights lobby who say this stunt "marriage" undermines or demeans "real" gay marriage. Nonsense.
    Dame Edna Everage

Yes, but is that even a real lobby or just a couple of attention whores claiming to represent some larger group and being given far more press than they deserve?
    A*O and Kittylady like this.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Its no more insulting than KK's stunt weddings,
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Those are insulting!!

Two straight men fake marrying each other to win a prize takes away from all of the people who fought hard to have the right to marry the person they love!! Its
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Its no more insulting than KK's stunt weddings,
    KK is far more insulting. These guys didn't ask their friends gifts upto 2 million $.

^^but just like with KK's 72 day stunt.. This was also a loveless sham
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I dunno. Looks like they love each other far more than that. It just isn't romantic love; it's friendship.

Getting married in front of 60 family and friends ... Matt McCormick helps Travis McIntosh adjust his suit. Picture: The Edge Source: Supplied

I've never seen Kim K look that happy to be with someone.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information