Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Six million Britons are living in households where nobody works

^^There isn't one. There will always be the losers who take advantage of the system, any system. There are lots of corporate welfare bums out there too and nobody criticizes them for working the system.

Hmm, see in Canada you get, at most, 520 bucks a month to live (without kids).. for rent, food, and transport. In toronto, that won't even cover a ROOM let alone an apartment.

Of course, like every other welfare program, they tell you that you will have to do some volunteering or take some training courses.. but that never happens. Once you're signed up you never hear from them again.

What's needed is vastly more rigorous checking up on people in the system, MAKING them adhere to the requirements, etc. Until that happens, people will bilk the system all they can.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

Australia has just introduced stricter rules including the expectation that single mothers living on welfare must find some kind of work (I think it's about 15hrs per week min so hardly draconian) once their youngest child starts full-time education. Brilliant! So let's wait for another baby boom in 9 months time.

Another inspired idea was to give mothers a Baby Bonus of around $2000 when their first child is born. The money was designed to enable them to remain home a little longer looking after their newborn and perhaps spending it on essentials like diapers, formula, etc. In fact they spent their Govt windfall on plasma screen TVs, iPods, DVDs, PS2s and cellphones (usually at the insistance of their deadbeat babydaddys) and the only people who benefitted were the shareholders in electronic goods companies. The brainiacs in Canberra have now changed it so the mothers get either vouchers that can only be redeemed on things like diapers, food, clothing and payments are being made in installments. Genius.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

pitiful. you won't find an immigrant illegal or legal household like that in the US!
    Last edited by AliceInWonderland; July 24th, 2007 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Hmm, see in Canada you get, at most, 520 bucks a month to live (without kids).. for rent, food, and transport. In toronto, that won't even cover a ROOM let alone an apartment.

Of course, like every other welfare program, they tell you that you will have to do some volunteering or take some training courses.. but that never happens. Once you're signed up you never hear from them again.

What's needed is vastly more rigorous checking up on people in the system, MAKING them adhere to the requirements, etc. Until that happens, people will bilk the system all they can.
    Interesting that in Canada, you can get money if you have no children. Most states in the US don't give aid to childless people, unless you are disabled or mentally ill.
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

Most states in the US don't give aid to childless people, unless you are disabled or mentally ill.

Having children to bilk the system is a huge flaw here.

There are lots of corporate welfare bums out there too and nobody criticizes them for working the system.
    This is all that we have in the US, as you refer to it 'corporate' welfare.

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    Um...am I the only one calling BS that the US is only at 5%? Call me crazy but it sure seems higher to me.
    If you add the homeless to that jobless number I'm sure it'll rocket past the UK one. The UK just manages to put their people up better.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

^Well, and they also don't call people mentally ill if they are homeless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information