Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The short, disgusting life of the Hummer - a retrospective

My refrigerator has a filter system and I buy reusable water bottles to use. We also bought solar power Christmas lights, and they work really well.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by katerpillar View Post
    I haven't bothered to get my license yet. I definitely can't afford to buy and maintain a Hummer, anyway. If I could, though, I would.

Most of the schmucks I see moralising about petrol-guzzling cars also tend to eat red meat with almost every meal and won't drink any liquid, including water, that hasn't come out of a plastic bottle. They leave as many lights and appliances on as possible and live in box shaped McMansions with out so much vegetation as a single bonsai. I'd sort of get an evil kick out of provoking all the hypocrites who fancy themselves some kind of hippie just because it's trendy. They're just bourgeoisie in denial... it's as if half-heartedly buying "green" products and pretending you care is the new conspicuous consumerism.

I rarely eat red meat, I drink tap water, I recycle, I (try) to grow plants, I turn lights off if I'm not in the room, etc. I do these things because I actually give a shit, not because I want everyone to admire how awesomely environmental I am. Unlike driving a Prius or having a sign on my lawn declaring "we use bore water!", no one will see those acts.
    You can do all that stuff, and, you know, not buy a Hummer too.

So I suppose part of the reason I want a Hummer is just to take the piss out of the eco-phonies who act all greener-than-thou when it makes them look smarter/kinder/fashionable...I can be all like "Hey! My Hummer can run over your moral high horse, bitch!" Actually, I think I've just had an epiphany about myself here... brb, off to psychoanalyse myself.
    I actually don't think I've ever met an "eco-phony". Most people I know who live "green" do it because they're genuinely concerned about the environment... as you claim to be. They just also happen to go the extra mile of driving a sane and sustainable vehicle. But whatever helps you stick it to some hippies, I guess. That's clearly the larger moral imperative.
    Last edited by Tati; December 15th, 2008 at 02:31 PM.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Wtf Is Bore Water? Lol
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Wtf Is Bore Water? Lol
    Actually, I'm not sure. I think it's water they get from under the ground or something? *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Tati
    You can do all that stuff, and, you know, not buy a Hummer too.
    Or... I could buy a Hummer.

Not that I'll be able to afford one anytime in the next decade or so. I might as well be weighing up the environmental cost of a Ferrari or a private jet.

^ Always go with the jet. It's way faster, duh.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information