Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prince Harry's cover in Afghanistan blown by Drudge Report

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Be fair. Clinton also avoided military service by going to school overseas... AND protesting the war while over there. Nor have either of the current Democrat front runners had any military experience. For the record, its a 'nice to have' but isn't necessary to be considered 'worthy' of the Presidency.

As for GWB, I have seen and read enough proof to know those accusations are false. In fact, as a member of the Texas National Guard, he DID want to go Vietnam and requested to do so. But the plane he was certified to fly, the F-102s, were not used for Vietnam, and we slowly being phased out.

I have a first hand account of the whole thing if you're interest.

Other than that, service in the US military is voluntary. I will add that I admire Israel for requiring military service

Military service is now voluntary. This was not the case during the Vietnam war, when there was a draft.

Clinton protested the war, as did a lot of others, to many Americans the war in Vietnam was wrong. History proved them right.

The F-102 was used in Vietnam. About 15 were even shot down.
    Bush joined the National Guard to avoid being drafted into another branch of the service. He was advised to learn to fly the F-102, as his Dad, then a Congressman, had knowledge it would be phased out. Also, he was rated as a commercial pilot, which qualified him to fly single or multi engine planes, using instruments without visual reference to the ground. He could have learned to fly something else if he wished to see active duty. Many others did.

This is just Bush spin on why he didn't serve.

Too bad he didn't, as what he might have learned could have spared us another failed land war in Asia like we have now.

BTW, Matt Drudge is a total asshole, as I have said in numerous other posts on the board.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Military service is now voluntary. This was not the case during the Vietnam war, when there was a draft.

Clinton protested the war, as did a lot of others, to many Americans the war in Vietnam was wrong. History proved them right.

The F-102 was used in Vietnam. About 15 were even shot down.
    Bush joined the National Guard to avoid being drafted into another branch of the service. He was advised to learn to fly the F-102, as his Dad, then a Congressman, had knowledge it would be phased out. Also, he was rated as a commercial pilot, which qualified him to fly single or multi engine planes, using instruments without visual reference to the ground. He could have learned to fly something else if he wished to see active duty. Many others did.

This is just Bush spin on why he didn't serve.

Too bad he didn't, as what he might have learned could have spared us another failed land war in Asia like we have now.

BTW, Matt Drudge is a total asshole, as I have said in numerous other posts on the board.
    Drudge is a tool.

As for GWB and service, you have your facts, I have mine. We'll leave it at that.

one set is actually correct. there's no 2 set of facts that are right.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    one set is actually correct. there's no 2 set of facts that are right.
    And well all know you think all republicans are idiots, contemptible, etc. so there's no need guessing which 'facts' you believe. SIGH.

I believe whichever ones are CORRECT. Actually, that's imprecise. Incorrect information is not 'fact'

Only correct information is fact.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by deckchick View Post
    What the "fuss" is about, is now he will have to be pulled out. He will be the #1 target of every insurgent in the country. I'm amazed that you can't see the problem.

I wish the American politicians had the moral fortitude to send their sons and daughters to the war they voted for instead of sending everyone else's kids.
    He will also be a target in the UK. The Royal family is under constant threat from all kinds of home-grown jihadists and nutters anyway. It's a daily fact of life for all of them, war or no war.

As for politicians sending their kids to war. Yes, it may place them on more solid moral ground but military service is still (so far) voluntary so unless they drag their kids kicking and screaming to the recruitment office there's not a lot they can do.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I think it's great that he actually went to Afghanistan. Although I do think now that the news is out it's safer for him to go home.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    I think it's great that he actually went to Afghanistan. Although I do think now that the news is out it's safer for him to go home.
    They pulled him out..on his way home, if he isn't there already.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Thumbs down

He seemed to be loving it from the news reports, he seems a nice guy.

Shame on whoever leaked it

A*O

I'm sure once the dust settles and he's been back in the UK for a while they will sneak him out there again. I do feel sorry him that he's had a few weeks of being a 'normal' bloke (if you can be normal in a warzone) and now he's back to being a rudderless royal. Hopefully this experience has made him grow up - he needed to - and realise that his life of pampered royal luxury isn't what real life and the big wide world is all about.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Harry the No 1 terror target as Al Qaeda threatens to take revenge for 'royal aggression against Muslims'

Last updated at 08:52am on 01.03.08
    Add your view

Prince Harry has been warned that serving in Afghanistan made him a prime target for terrorists.
    Muslim extremists say the young royal is a "legitimate target" after ten weeks secretly fighting the Taliban.
    This morning, the prince is on a troop transport plane bound for RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire, where he will be met by his father the Prince of Wales and brother William.
    Two Al Qaeda-affiliated websites are calling on jihadists to "slaughter" the third in line to the throne.
    There will now be an urgent review of his security and the prince may have to curb his fondness for nightclubs. Many UK Muslims have praised his sense of duty, however, even while condemning the war.
    Scroll down for more ...

In action: Harry radios orders from the turret of his armoured vehicle

Harry is due back in Britain on an RAF flight this morning. He will be met by Prince William then head for Highgrove and a reunion with his father Prince Charles.
    After news of his presence in Afghanistan leaked out, senior defence chiefs quickly agreed that allowing him to stay would increase the risk to his fellow soldiers.
    Taliban insurgents were already vowing to step up attacks on British forces.
    The prince was said to be bitterly disappointed that his posting to Helmand had to be cut short after a U.S. website broke an international media agreement not to reveal it.
    Security sources said the terrorist threats against Harry were being taken seriously.
    The prince is guarded, even while he is on Army duties, by a team of officers from the Metropolitan Police's elite SO14 Royalty and Diplomatic Protection Department.
    Members of the squad went with him to Afghanistan, although they stayed on an army base, leaving Harry alone in the field.
    These Scotland Yard bodyguards are also responsible for protecting the prince during his frequent nightclub forays, though these may now have to be cut back.
    Scroll down for more ...

It's no pushover: Tough going on the sand as Harry tries to bump-start the bike

Concerns about Harry's safety were deepened when firebrand preacher Anjem Choudhary, of the extremist Al Muhajiroun group, accused him of endorsing an "illegal war".
    He said: "I think it is inevitable that anyone who engages in these activities is going to draw attention to themselves. He will be seen as part of the enemy and so he is a target.
    "For Harry to participate has absolutely no justification. For people to say he is being brave and doing his job is simply wrong.
    "Many wiser and braver men have decided not to participate and have objected and demonstrated against these wars. They should be the ones declared as heroes."
    Hate preacher Omar Bakri, now in Lebanon, said: "Harry should condemn the fact that British forces are in a strange land fighting strange people who speak a different language."
    But many worshippers arriving for Friday prayers at London's Regent's Park mosque praised the prince.
    Accountant Adham Adam, 42, said: "I am against the war and Britain going there but Prince Harry is just doing his duty.
    "I hope extremists will not target him because they don't have the right. I don't believe in extremist Islam. They are not doing good things for Muslim Brits."
    Sheriff Folami, 65, said: "It shows he is an honourable person. It shows he is a true prince." Hussein Elazghal, 74, echoed the sentiment, adding: "It is very courageous that he is doing his duty. He is a British citizen and he is doing his service."
    Hotel manager Nesar Siddiqui, however, said: 2I would be more comfortable if Harry wasn't there. There were legitimate reasons to go to Bosnia, but in Afghanistan there are not those reasons."
    Scroll down for more ...

Above: Riding a motorbike he has found, he goes past two carriers fitted with anti-grenade steel mesh 'skirts' and draped with camouflage netting

Catherine Heseltine of the Muslim Public Affairs Committee warned that many might find Harry's "glorification" of war offensive. She said: "It is not the way to talk about a war where so many Muslims have lost their lives - men, women and children, innocent civilians. It is not an adventure, it is not exciting."
    As Harry was moving out, the Queen spoke with pride of her grandson, saying he had "performed a good job in a very difficult climate".
    Prime Minister Gordon Brown said Harry had served with "great distinction" and the country owed him a "debt of gratitude".
    He also revealed that he agreed with the decision to pull the prince out, saying: "Security considerations come first."
    Sources close to the 23-year-old Prince said he had been devastated by the decision to bring him home so quickly after news of his frontline deployment leaked out.
    The news blackout agreed by many UK and worldwide media - including the Daily Mail - collapsed on Thursday after details of the top-secret posting were published on a U.S. website.
    One friend said: "He was absolutely loving it out there and was so proud to be doing, at long last, what he has trained for.
    "That said, he always knew that if word leaked out the chances were he would be brought back home immediately. The last thing he wanted to do was to put his men at even greater risk, so he knew in his heart he had to go.
    "Harry has lived in these guys' pockets for the last two and a half months and was even prepared to die alongside them, so he was sad to say such a hurried goodbye.
    "He has already made plans to meet them when he gets back, though, and says all he wants now is a bath, a burger and to sleep."
    Scroll down for more ...
    At war and at play: Silhouetted against the evening sky, Harry (right) checks the machine gun on his Spartan armoured personnel carrier

Harry had already indicated, in an interview in Afghanistan, that he did not particularly relish the prospect of returning home. He said: "I don't want to sit around in Windsor" and made the surprising admission "I generally don't like England that much and, you know, it's nice to be away from all the press and the papers."
    The prince, a second lieutenant in the Blues and Royals, part of the Household Cavalry, is said to now be more keen than ever to pursue a career in the army.
    Lance Corporal Frankie O'Leary, who was with him in Afghanistan, said: "At the minute he's got a small team to command. He wants to go on and command a squadron, maybe one day a regiment."
    Senior Army commanders considered several options for Harry's immediate future, with some arguing that withdrawing him from Afghanistan handed the Taliban a propaganda coup.
    One insider said the danger to him would have remained "modest" if he stayed at an unspecified British base for the rest of his battlegroup's tour of duty. But at a meeting yesterday morning, the chief of the armed forces, Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup, and the head of the Army, General Sir Richard Dannatt, agreed that Harry must be withdrawn as soon as practicably possible.
    Just like last year, when they vetoed the prince's deployment to Iraq, they attached more importance to the safety of soldiers around him. There were fears that the Taliban would step up their activities - ambushes, roadside bombs, mortar and rocket attacks on bases - in the hope of killing the young Royal.
    If that led to other soldiers being killed or maimed, Harry and his commanders would be open to intense criticism.
    In their first public reaction, the Taliban said Harry's presence in Helmand meant the Royal Family had joined the "aggression against Muslims" and encouraged their fighters to launch more attacks.
    A spokesman said: "Instead of fighting and killing the innocent people, the prince should try to influence his Government to withdraw its forces from Afghanistan."
    The Defence Ministry said the withdrawal decision had been taken "primarily on the basis that the worldwide media coverage of Prince Harry in Afghanistan could impact on the security of those who are deployed there, as well as the risks to him as an individual".
    Brigadier Andrew Mackay, Commander of Task Force Helmand, paid tribute to Second Lieutenant Wales and revealed that he took part in a major operation to disrupt Taliban communications.
    The brigadier said: "He has shared the same risks, endured the same austerity and undergone the same moments of fear and euphoria.
    "He has flourished in this most demanding of environments, relished the opportunity to serve his regiment and his country, and is deservedly immensely proud of his contribution."
    Harry's deployment to Afghanistan puts him in line for an operational medal.
    The prince is the first member of the Royal Family to fight on the front line since his uncle, the Duke of York, was involved in the Falklands War.
    Harry is set to receive the Operational Service Medal for Afghanistan on his return to Britain.
    He will be able to wear it alongside his Golden Jubilee Medal, given him by the Queen in 2002. He has previously worn this on parade at Sandhurst.
    An MoD spokesman said he believed Harry would receive his service medal with the rest of his regiment, but could not say when that would be.

Harry the No 1 terror target as Al Qaeda threatens to take revenge for 'royal aggression against Muslims'| News | This is London

Hit By Ban Bus!

What the "fuss" is about, is now he will have to be pulled out. He will be the #1 target of every insurgent in the country. I'm amazed that you can't see the problem.

I wish the American politicians had the moral fortitude to send their sons and daughters to the war they voted for instead of sending everyone else's kids.
    It won't be the first time the Windsors have been targeted by jihadists. A fatwa has been issued against Queen Elizabeth for knighting Rushdie.

If Drudge didn't publish this story, the NYT or other big news outlets would have. Don't use Drudge as your scapegoat.
    Last edited by Incognito; March 1st, 2008 at 07:47 PM.

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Prince Harry is due to land at the Royal Air Force's Brize Norton base "within the next few hours," a British defense ministry spokesman said Saturday morning.

His father -- Prince Charles -- and his brother -- Prince William -- will be waiting for Harry as he steps off the plane a day after he was quickly withdrawn from Afghanistan because of the media's disclosure of his deployment there, the British Ministry of Defense said Friday.

The prince has been deployed to Afghanistan since December. Major news outlets agreed to keep the information secret for security reasons, but a Web site broke the news blackout Thursday.

That prompted the British military to withdraw the prince for security reasons.

"This decision has been taken primarily on the basis that the worldwide media coverage of Prince Harry in Afghanistan could impact on the security of those who are deployed there, as well as the risks to him as an individual soldier," the Ministry of Defense said in a statement issued Friday.

The British Ministry of Defense confirmed to CNN that Harry was en route late Friday from Afghanistan to Great Britain.

The ministry termed "regrettable" the decision of "elements of the foreign media" to reveal Prince Harry's service in Afghanistan.

"Whilst it had been intended that Prince Harry should return in a matter of weeks with the remainder of the Household Cavalry Regiment Battlegroup," the ministry said, "the situation has now clearly changed."

Gen. Richard Dannatt, the chief of Britain's General Staff, said in a statement released Thursday that he judged it safe to send the prince to Afghanistan -- so long as the media didn't reveal his location.

"I am very disappointed that foreign Web sites have decided to run this story without consulting us," Dannatt said. "It was my judgment that with an understanding with the media not to broadcast his whereabouts, the risk in (deploying him to Afghanistan) was manageable."

British Defense Secretary Des Browne said Friday that Prince Harry was able to deploy to Afghanistan only "because of the cooperation of the media, who exercised a degree of discipline and I think that they should be commended for the fact that they have allowed him that space and time so we could manage the risks associated with that."

He added, "It is disappointing that the story has broken in the way in which it did."

Withdrawing Prince Harry from Afghanistan was "a decision that has been made by the defense staff, and I think everybody will respect that to be the right decision," British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said Friday. "What matters is the safety of Prince Harry."

He added, "I think the whole country owes Prince Harry a debt of gratitude for his service, his courage, his bravery, under the most difficult of circumstances in Afghanistan."

The 23-year-old prince holds the rank of cornet -- equivalent to a second lieutenant -- and serves as a forward air controller with a group called Joint Tactical Air Control, or JTAC.

"At the end of the day I like to sort of be a normal person, and for once I think this is about as normal as I'm ever going to get," he said in a recent interview. "As far as I'm concerned, I'm out here as a normal JTAC on the ground and not as Prince Harry."

Queen Elizabeth II, who was visiting an elderly care home in Windsor on Friday, acknowledged a resident's compliment of her grandson.

"Can I say to you, ma'am, I'm very proud of Harry, Prince Harry, of the job he's doing," said the man, a former soldier who was not identified.

Because of the unique circumstances of the deployment, CNN, as well as other news organizations, chose to honor an embargo requested by the military.

His duties included calling in airstrikes and air support when necessary, guaranteeing the accuracy of bombing on the ground and guarding against incidents of friendly fire.

Prince Harry is the younger son of Prince Charles, the heir to the British throne, and the late Princess Diana, who died in a Paris car crash in 1997.

Last year, the military ruled he could not be sent to Iraq because publicity about the deployment could put him and his unit at risk.

But Dannatt said the experience has demonstrated "that it is perfectly possible for Prince Harry to be employed just the same as other Army officers of his rank and experience."

"His conduct on operations in Afghanistan has been exemplary," the general said. "He has been fully involved in operations and has run the same risks as everyone else in his battle group. In common with all of his generation in the army today, he is a credit to the nation."

Shortly after the news of the prince's deployment broke, several Islamist Web sites posted messages alerting their "brethren" in Afghanistan to be on the lookout for the royal soldier.

"O brothers of monotheism, if you find anyone with unusual security in his battalion, know that this could be the Prince Harry. We ask God that he gets caught on your hands," one such posting read.

Several members of the British royal family saw combat in the past century. Prince Harry's grandfather, Prince Phillip, served aboard warships in World War II; his great-grandfather -- the future King George VI -- took part in the World War I naval battle of Jutland; and Prince Andrew, Prince Harry's uncle, flew Navy helicopters during Britain's 1982 war with Argentina over the Falkland Islands.

Prince Harry's brother, Prince William, is also an army officer. But as second in line for the throne, he is specifically barred from combat.

The last sitting British monarch to lead troops in battle was George II, who defeated a French force at the Battle of Dettingen in 1743.

Prince Harry due home from Afghanistan - CNN.com
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Gold Member

That is excellent tk, I know that a lot of them do have kids in the conflicts, but way too many of them don't. The fact that your "Commander in Chief" had his Daddy pull strings to get him in the National Guard then blow that off bugs me to no end.
    It bothers a lot of us too.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post
    I think it was obviously the wrong thing to do. I can't believe that ozzie magazine didn't think for a moment before publishing this fact.
    Me either, but they're getting off scot free; everyone's blaming the US media.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information