Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: President Nicolas Sarkozy says burqas are 'not welcome' in France

I just don't want this to be a slippery slope. I intensely dislike the idea of all religious symbols being outlawed and/or censored. The burqa and the niqab are different because there are significant security risks along with the whole oppression aspect. But the Sikh turban, Muslim hijab, Jewish yarmulke or the law of the Halacha(?) which requires Jewish women to cover their hair, the Amish bonnet...I think these things should be respected. I don't honestly give a shit what others wear as a hair covering to suit their religion and/or their personal beliefs. If I want to wear a freaking crown because my religion says I'm queen of Xenu, then whatever. The government shouldn't tell me what to do. Its when it starts robbing you of personal identity, such as the covering of your face, that for me it moves to a much different ground.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I just don't want this to be a slippery slope. I intensely dislike the idea of all religious symbols being outlawed and/or censored. The burqa and the niqab are different because there are significant security risks along with the whole oppression aspect. But the Sikh turban, Muslim hijab, Jewish yarmulke or the law of the Halacha(?) which requires Jewish women to cover their hair, the Amish bonnet...I think these things should be respected. I don't honestly give a shit what others wear as a hair covering to suit their religion and/or their personal beliefs. If I want to wear a freaking crown because my religion says I'm queen of Xenu, then whatever. The government shouldn't tell me what to do. Its when it starts robbing you of personal identity, such as the covering of your face, that for me it moves to a much different ground.
    I agree. If they stay with the argument of it being a security risk for obvious reasons (and use the overwhelming statistics to back it up) then that is one argument. The other religious symbols that don't pose a security problem should stay.

I can't look at a burqa or niqab without feeling sick - purely on the grounds of how the women in that situation are dehumanized.

In Bavaria, they have crucifixes in courtrooms and classrooms. I find that disgusting, too. So, there's no justice for non-believers? No education for Jews? Nice.

I think public spaces should be free of that crap. It's the job of the government to make sure no one tries to force their belief on anyone else. Even if that's being done in a subtle way.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    As usual, you make eloquent points on the topic.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

It might be slightly off topic but anyway

=> BBC NEWS | Europe | French pool bans 'burkini' swim
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    In Bavaria, they have crucifixes in courtrooms and classrooms. I find that disgusting, too. So, there's no justice for non-believers? No education for Jews? Nice.

I think public spaces should be free of that crap. It's the job of the government to make sure no one tries to force their belief on anyone else. Even if that's being done in a subtle way.
    So do you think, then, that there should be a formal separation of church and state in Bavaria (and if I understand correctly, Germany in general), where presently there is none?

Or wouldn't that just create a lot of problems?
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information