Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poor Haitians resort to eating dirt

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    If she can't afford food, what makes you think she can afford birth control? I know, I know, she shouldn't be having sex. Agreed; but how realistic is that?
    Yes I agree as well, and about the sex issues; well in most poor countried the education system is pretty unstable and non-existent so I doubt younger people are taught any sex ed. Add in the cost and unavailabity of birth control and you got more kids being born in a poverty environment.

Also, let's not forget about the droughts and climate changes that affect crops and food distribution. Haiti may have a tropical environment, but if there are more hurricanes and tropical storms resulting in damaged fields then nothing can grow and prices shot up the roof. I can only imagine what the Haitian farmers are dealing with, I bet they are'nt getting enough pay to even grow anymore cuz the people can't afford whereas mud is pretty much free.

^^also don't forget, the poorer a country is, the less rights and freedoms women have. She may have been overpowered or raped, she may have been ignorant...or maybe she just didn't want her crappy life to get in the way of having the happiness of her own family to love.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Unhappy Haiti’s Poorest Forced To Eat Dirt

As food prices soar, impoverished Haitians are resorting to eating cookies made of mud.

Made from dirt, salt and vegetable shortening, the cookies - which are regularly used by pregnant women and children as an antacid and source of calcium - have become a regular meal for Haitians desperate to satisfy hunger.

In Haiti, the poorest country in the western hemisphere, 80 percent of the population lives on less than $2 a day. The mud cookies sell for around five cents each, compared to 60 cents for two cups of rice.

What is the U.S. doing to help? Rep. William Thomas [R-CA] introduced the Haitian Hemispheric Opportunity through Partnership Encouragement (HOPE) Act of 2006 as part of the tax-and-trade bill. The bill never became law. Fortunately, that may have been a good thing. The Haiti Progres stated that the bill failed to imposes labor standards instead imposing patronizing, and burdensome conditions on the Haitian people:
    Although the undersigned Haitian activists welcomes the US bipartisan desire to assist Haiti with job creation that is evidenced by the passage of the legislation, we continue to denounce the legislation’s neoliberal conditions that enrich only the few while further impoverishing the many; its failure to ensure labor standards, workers’ rights, enforcement and employer accountability.
    According to Dan Beeton, International Communications Coordinator for the Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR) in Washington D.C.:
    “Throughout Haiti’s history, the U.S. has usually been a bad neighbor, invading and occupying the country several times, propping up dictators, and at times blocking economic assistance to the country. A number of economically damaging policy prescriptions have originated in Washington as well, including privatization of state industries and the promotion of export processing zones that hamper the development of Haitian industry and generate little revenue…Considering the history of the U.S.’ relationship with Haiti, Americans owe it to the Haitian people to support their right to organize independent trade unions and advocate for policies that will foster real and lasting economic development.”
    For ways you can help Haiti, visit the Lambi Fund of Haiti.

SOURCE: IHT, Haiti Progre
    If anyone can, please donate

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Normos View Post
    ^^also don't forget, the poorer a country is, the less rights and freedoms women have. She may have been overpowered or raped, she may have been ignorant...or maybe she just didn't want her crappy life to get in the way of having the happiness of her own family to love.
    Thank you for pointing this out and mentioning it.

Or she may not care if her offspring starves to death, or she may just like being selfish. There are a lot of what if's that could be said. The bottom line is I am sure some of these women get pregnant due to plain ole simple sex with the man they love, and to me, that is ignorant when you know you can't provide and support them.
    Sorry I am just a cold hearted person and think that people should support people in their own country before they try to clean up another.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

And that is why we have no business in Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    And that is why we have no business in Iraq.
    Too True
    Vegetarian - Old Indian word for "Bad Hunter"

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Okay so a 16 year old girl knew she was starving and had to eat dirt but yet she still decided to bring another life into this world. I don't feel sorry for her at all.
    If she can't afford food, what are the odds she can afford condoms or other birth control?

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    If she can't afford food, what are the odds she can afford condoms or other birth control?
    Read my prior post. This was discussed already.

^^ No offense Sweetie, but if abstinance doesn't works for the thousands of broke-ass North Americans, how will it magically take hold in Haiti?

I think you'd be hard pressed to find many parents these days who aren't struggling to make ends meet and not just because they decided a computer was a better purchase than diapers.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

If I was so poor that I had to eat mud, I'd be screwing my brains out constantly, pregnancy be damned. At least sex is free and it would take my mind off my dinner options.

Challenging Violence: Haitian Women Unite Women’s Rights and Human Rights

I can't say I know how reliable this source is, but it's disturbing if it's accurate.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information