Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Plight of Women In Afghanistan: A Disturbing Picture- Maybe NSFW

Elite Member

But who are we to tell another country how to live and what laws to have? I hate the mentality that the US is always right, democracy everywhere, blah blah. This is their way of life. You think you are helping them but look at this girl-she probably would have thought twice about running away if the notion that she should leave/could run away and that her way of life is wrong had not been put into her mind by what she heard/ saw through this war. She wanted to be empowered and look what happened! She would have been better following her own rules.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by SunShine23 View Post
    But who are we to tell another country how to live and what laws to have? I hate the mentality that the US is always right, democracy everywhere, blah blah. This is their way of life. You think you are helping them but look at this girl-she probably would have thought twice about running away if the notion that she should leave/could run away and that her way of life is wrong had not been put into her mind by what she heard/ saw through this war. She wanted to be empowered and look what happened! She would have been better following her own rules.
    You ask ANY average American, they will tell you we do not want to be 'over there' killing off our young generation by the thousands. The USA is like an emergency room for the world's ills. It's other countries which pine for our help, and like good little nurses and doctors we go.

When we resisted Bosnia and Rowanda, we were criticized for standing back. Then more whinning occured 'over there', we went, then criticized for being 'over there'. Tell ya what Europe, Middle East, Southeast Asia, and Africa loose our phone number, please.

Of course when it comes to this middle east fiasco, I blame Bush. He is the complete cause of this whole mess. He used our military for his own narcisstic insanity.

Yes, she clearly brought this on herself. She deserved to have her nose cut off. In fact, they should have killed her. That would really teach her.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; August 1st, 2010 at 09:30 AM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    WTF.

To think the taliban were at one point on the ropes and fleeing the country. Now they are back and stronger than ever.
    The Taliban was fleeing after the first invasion, before Bush diverted our military attentions to Iraq.

I was just discussing this with a retired Army officer this weekend. He is livid that we didn't stay in Afghanistan and finish the job there the first time. He claims that everything was in place to make a quick end to the Taliban. Bush fucked up.

I love it when a career military officer and I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    The deformation of this woman is not a reason to be at war if for no other reason than we can't statistically beat down every misogynistic, backass regime.

But to try and redefine the Taliban image as if it's just another legitimate political movement that deserves a seat at the table ... that's ludicrous.
    The West ended Apartheid in South Africa with lots of pressure and threats. The issue was racial. When has The West ever confronted a country for similar treatment of women? Never.

She would have been better following her own rules.
    Her own rules?!!!! Are you serious or joking?

Quote Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post

Of course when it comes to this middle east fiasco, I blame Bush. He is the complete cause of this whole mess. He used our military for his own narcisstic insanity.
    Yep. Don't forget god. Bush took his orders from the big man while he and Karen Hughes held marathon prayer sessions.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

I don't think Sunshine is joking, unfortunately.
    This poor woman, that picture makes me sad.

She wanted to be empowered and look what happened! She would have been better following her own rules.

Yeah, that idiot, how could she not be happy with a life of slavery being beaten up by every male relative she had?
    What a cunt !
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Elite Member

You are not interpreting my post correctly. Perhaps before the war she would have thought she had no options and stayed with the family that was brutalizing her, as opposed to having thestrength to run away. However, by running away she got nose cut off. So yes, she would have been better off staying there as opposed to cutting her nose off in my opinion. Just because women are ready to fight for themselves doesn't mean their culture is ready to accept it. Another woman may have been killed for doing the same thing. So is it better to fight the world you live in and end up with no nose or ears, or be be submissive to save your life?

You are not interpreting my post correctly. Perhaps before the war she would have thought she had no options and stayed with the family that was brutalizing her, as opposed to having thestrength to run away. However, by running away she got nose cut off. So yes, she would have been better off staying there as opposed to cutting her nose off in my opinion. Just because women are ready to fight for themselves doesn't mean their culture is ready to accept it. Another woman may have been killed for doing the same thing. So is it better to fight the world you live in and end up with no nose or ears, or be be submissive to save your life?
    So, she should have stayed, rolling the dice that they wouldn't go too far and maim her or kill her someday, (Nevermind that it was guaranteed that they were crushing her spirit daily) instead of taking a chance at getting away?

And damn it, it's all the west's fault for making those Afghan hussies all uppity, thinking that they might be human beings with rights and dignity.

You are not interpreting my post correctly. Perhaps before the war she would have thought she had no options and stayed with the family that was brutalizing her, as opposed to having thestrength to run away. However, by running away she got nose cut off. So yes, she would have been better off staying there as opposed to cutting her nose off in my opinion. Just because women are ready to fight for themselves doesn't mean their culture is ready to accept it.
    Shouldn't Afghan women, who have been battling for decades, BTW, have an equal say in their culture? Why do men get to decide the culture? And BTW, at what point in any culture's history has an oppressed minority successfully sat down and said, "welp, I guess you guys aren't just ready for change yet, let us know when you are"? If people followed your logic we'd still be a country in slavery since during the Civil War a large portion of the culture wasn't "ready to accepts" that black people are human beings.

Another woman may have been killed for doing the same thing. So is it better to fight the world you live in and end up with no nose or ears, or be be submissive to save your life?
    Depends on if you value your life. First of all, you're assuming that she was safe and wouldn't have died had she stayed. She likely would have - that's why she was fleeing, because she feared her family's torture would kill her. Secondly, a lot of people believe (rightly, IMO) that a life of constant torture, slavery and oppression is nothing worth saving in the first place, and they would gladly risk that for a chance at freedom.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
    You ask ANY average American, they will tell you we do not want to be 'over there' killing off our young generation by the thousands.
    Preach it!

That is disgusting and I am glad that we are now being made aware of it.

oh look, it's our own little ray of sunshine, spouting ignorant, reactionary nonsense. what a shock.

do you even know anything about afghan history and the taliban? up until the 80s, there was a large middle class in afghanistan, women went to school and university and had more rights than they do now. the taliban started as a fringe movement, mostly in pakistan, and then worked its way into the country. my afghan friend says that at first, people made fun of them, the way we would mock jehovah's witnesses, going door to door and spewing religious nonsense. but then, aided by foreign money (in large part saudi) and the geo-political situation (afghanistan has always been strategically important and has been invaded and coveted by pretty much every empire since alexander the great - in the most recent scuffles, soviets invaded, the US helped the mujahideen, many of whom were religious fanatics, because they were against the soviets), plus rising poverty and ignorance (which meant they recruited many more to their cause) and before you know it, they were running the country.
    the taliban are not representative of afghan culture and religion as a whole. taliban run afghanistan is not what the country was like historically and it's not what their governments were like historically either - they've run the gamut from monarchy, republic to communist state. so no, it's not the americans who are telling afghans to change their values since the taliban happened only recently to their country.

Just because women are ready to fight for themselves doesn't mean their culture is ready to accept it. Another woman may have been killed for doing the same thing. So is it better to fight the world you live in and end up with no nose or ears, or be be submissive to save your life?
    but again, afghanistan doesn't have a centuries long tradition of being run by the taliban. and if there aren't people who are willing to fight for change, when will change ever happen? this is the history of the world. no change has ever happened without bloodshed and suffering. but do you think people should just shut up and take it? do you think blacks in the US should just have shut up and continued to put up with being thought inferior to whites? it was (and still is) a struggle. maybe they should have put their heads down and just put up with it, huh, what do you think?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

An Afghan teenager who was horribly mutilated by her husband under Taliban rule was all smiles as she unveiled her new prosthetic nose for the first time.
    Aisha, 19, shocked the world when she appeared on the cover of Time Magazine to lift the veil on the plight of many women in Afghanistan.
    Yesterday, she bravely faced the public wearing a prosthetic nose - one that gives her some idea of how she will look after having reconstructive surgery.

Brave: Aisha, 19, pictured wearing a type of prosthetic nose often used by film actors. Her nose and ears were hacked off by brutal in-laws after she was promised in marriage aged 12

She went before the TV cameras to receive the Enduring Heart award at a benefit for the Grossman Burn Foundation - the Los Angeles-based organisation that paid for her surgery.
    She was given the award by California first lady Maria Shriver.
    Arnold Schwarzenegger's wife told the audience: 'This is the first Enduring Heart award given to a woman whose heart endures and who shows us all what it means to have love and to be the enduring heart.'
    Aisha, whose surname has not been revealed, replied: 'Thank you so much.'
    When Aisha was 12, her father promised her in marriage to a Taliban fighter to pay a debt. She was handed over to his family who abused her and forced her to sleep in the stable with the animals.
    When she attempted to flee, she was caught and her nose and ears were hacked off by her husband as punishment.
    'When they cut off my nose and ears, I passed out. In the middle of the night it felt like there was cold water in my nose.
    'I opened my eyes and I couldn't even see because of all the blood,' she told CNN reporter Atia Abawi.

Left for dead in the mountains, she crawled to her grandfather's house and her father managed to get her to an American medical facility, where medics cared for her for ten weeks.
    They then transported Aisha to a secret shelter in Kabul and in August she was flown to the U.S. by the Grossman Burn Foundation to stay with a host family.
    This month, she had a prosthetic nose fitted at the non-profit humanitarian Grossman Burn Center at West Hills Hospital in California as part of her eight-month rehabilitation.
    Dr Peter H Grossman said they hoped to give Aisha a more 'permanent solution'.
    This could mean reconstructing her nose and ears using bone, tissue and cartilage from other parts of her body.
    Dr Grossman's wife Rebecca, the chair of the Grossman Burn Foundation, said Aisha was just one of the thousands of women who are treated with appalling harshness.
    She said: 'Aisha is reminded of that enslavement every time she looks in the mirror. But there are still times she can laugh. And at that moment you see her teenage spirit escaping a body that has seen a lifetime of injustice.'

Recovering: Aisha has received counselling following her traumatic experiences
    The UN estimates that nearly 90 per cent of Afghanistan's women suffer from some sort of domestic abuse.

However, the Taliban have released a statement rejecting this.
    'The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan rejects this fabrication by the Americans, who are publishing these lies to divert attention of the people from their clear and disgraceful defeat,' said a spokesman.
    'In sacred Islamic law, cutting off human ears and noses whether the human is alive or dead is illegal and prohibited.'

Read more: Afghan girl Bibi Aisha who had nose and ears hacked off under Taliban rule gets new face | Mail Online

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information