Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PETA is human abuse

Well, I'll just have to expand my Sunday barbecue menu...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by marina View Post
    53 billion chickens, turkeys, ducks, pigs, cattle, and sheep are killed each year for food. If this all suddenly stopped today, some of them might get adopted, some of them would die.

But there would not be the 53 billion needed to be bred for next year, or the year after, or the year after and so on, there would be a huge drop in greenhouse gases, water pollution, soil erosion, and energy expenditures, and the world would be a cleaner, better place.
    53 billion... so the majority would die as they were bred as food, therefore would be considered feral and unfit as "pets". And since there's no need to continue breeding them they would die out thereby making chickens, turkeys, ducks, pigs, cattle & sheep extinct. Except maybe sheep would be spared because of their wool, unless it's cruel to give them a haircut, if so let's let them die off too.

There would also be a huge drop in greenhouses gases, et al. if everyone stopped driving, stopped buying unrecycle products, stopped buying processed foods, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    um, lots of other cultures eat dogs, cats and parrots, but revere cows and goats

yup, if you're ever in the Phillipines don't eat any 'aso'...woof woof
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

that version of sentience is pretty much only used by animal right nuts to bolster the validity of their argument

Secondly, plants react in a variety of ways to injury.. there was a study done with some plant hooked up to a lie detector.. the scientist lit a match and brought it near the plant, which registered signs of panic.
    I believe you about the plants, but the definition of sentience I'm offering comes right from the dictionary--present-day--and from the word's history.

But it is true that sentience is a core concept in animal-rights thinking; there, the term is used to mean "able to experience suffering." This line of thinking has a fairly long history and isn't really limited to PETA. IOW, just because PETA is annoying doesn't mean that everything they think is completely wrong.

Apparently the term means different things to people in various specialized fields.

But I also discovered just now on Wikipedia that one important distinction is the word sentience from the word sapience, the latter referring more to self-consciousness. I do think they have a different kind of consciousness than humans. Animals do not philosophize, for example; they need PETA to do that on their behalf.

I personally believe that animals are sentient by any definition I encounter, yet I eat them anyway. I try to buy kosher meat or from free-range animals, though.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Animals NEED neither PETA or anybody else to philosophize for them, such things are anthropomorphic in nature, a human construct. They never care nor have the ability or development to care.

Registering PAIN, which can be whittled down to nerve impulses carrying a signal, is something 99% of the organisms on this planet can experience.

How that signal is interpreted by the brain, depending on the level of development, is something else.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I believe all the creatures of the earth have a place in this world...

and it's between the mashed potatoes and green beans and under some gravy!

I'm all for less cruelty to animals, and more controls on what livestock are fed and injected with.

However, I think it is a gross distortion to say that giving your kids meat is unhealthy or, to go even further, abuse. Humans have been eating animals for tens of thousands of years, all the while increasing average longevity, health, and expanding the realm of human knowledge. And there are plenty of fat, unhealthy vegetarians. I personally know a number of them, in fact, and they do not help the vegetarian cause.

It would be a more productive, and less polluting, use of agricultural space to use it for non-livestock purposes. But that is a separate issue. It sounds like this ad shows that PETA is more about shock and grandstanding than education.

I don't understand why people are shocked by this...It's the same group of people that throws paint on people wearing fur?

They're a bunch of shock-tards looking to scare and intimidate people into not eating meat.
    The nice thing about being a celebrity is that when you bore people, they think it's their fault. ~Henry Kissinger~

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by western View Post
    53 billion... so the majority would die as they were bred as food, therefore would be considered feral and unfit as "pets". And since there's no need to continue breeding them they would die out thereby making chickens, turkeys, ducks, pigs, cattle & sheep extinct. Except maybe sheep would be spared because of their wool, unless it's cruel to give them a haircut, if so let's let them die off too.
    No, lets breed more so that more animals can suffer. Does that make sense?

There would also be a huge drop in greenhouses gases, et al. if everyone stopped driving, stopped buying unrecycle products, stopped buying processed foods, etc.
    Certainly we should be doing all those things. In addition to the biggest thing--

FAO reports that the single greatest contribution to global warming is livestock.

There's a lot of cognitive dissonance on this board.

How that signal is interpreted by the brain, depending on the level of development, is something else.
    That's absolutely correct. And you can read many papers on how these sentient animals suffer in technical journals. Including fish. Opioid receptors have existed in jawed vertebrates for 450 million years.

But some invertebrates are also sentient: cephalopods.
    Last edited by Tati; November 1st, 2008 at 07:43 PM.

You misinterpreted what i said. Registering pain is one thing. Being conscious of pain, as an emotional state, is another.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Kitten of the Sea

PETA's Latest - Fish Shall Now Be Called "Sea Kittens" - Slashfood

As if Jessica Simpson weren't confused enough already.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Its amazing the same ole douche bags are on here talking about the same ole things.

Don't make me post pictures of skinned baby seals again. Didn't you learn your lesson the first time?

"If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

! YES! ITS BEEN TO FUCKING QUIET 'ROUND HERE LATELY

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information