Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One in four Germans think Nazi rule was not all bad

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    Even if one single tiny thing did come good out of the nazi regime it was at minimum 100% evil and to suggest otherwise is idiotic.
    No, techically speaking it would not be 100% evil.

100% means ALL OF IT.

If one thing is not evil, it's less than 100% isnt it?

I question why anyone would suggest otherwise except for the 'fun' of the debate, not much fun really when you consider the subject.
    ... I'm aware of the subject, and the subject does NOT preclude a discussion thanks.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Scientific and technological advancements, along with all kinds of other opportunities for SOME people, are the natural outcome of most wars.

Reptyllicus, my husband read the book you mentioned and another one, Killing Hitler, recently that contained information that he hadn't known before, which is saying something since he is an expert on war crimes.

We've learnt one thing about the whole Autobahn thing . It's not true . I don't know if that's the truth or if our teacher just wanted to work against any "good things" feelings we might have.
    I know my grandmother who was born in 1929 thought we would win the war even after Hitlers death (I asked her once). My grandfather (born 1920) only talked about his time as a soldier with my mother when she was in her teens and it was not a real conversation. He was in Dresden when the city was bombed and he remembered adults shrinking to the size of children . According to my mother , he started to cry and she had never asked again.

The first autobahn was built in the Weimarer Republik, Hitler had nothing to do with it. Someone tell Eva Herman that.

Upon assuming power in January 1933, Adolf Hitler enthusiastically embraced an ambitious autobahn construction project. On 27 June 1933, the Reich government (Reichsregierung) enacted the "Law on the Establishment of a 'Reichsautobahn' Enterprise" (Gesetz über die Errichtung eines Unternehmens "Reichsautobahnen").[3] In accordance with Section 5 of this law, Hitler appointed Fritz Todt as Inspector General of German Roads (Generalinspektor für das deutsche Straßenwesen). Soon, over 100,000 laborers worked at construction sites all over Germany. Sections 1 and 5 of the same law assigned responsibility for the oversight of the "Reichsautobahn" enterprise to the German railway company, the Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft (DRG). However, this arrangement was terminated on 23 January 1935 by a decree transferring control of the enterprise to Todt, on the grounds that the DRG had not given the necessary priority to the project.[4]

As well as providing employment and improved infrastructure, necessary for economic recovery efforts, the project was also a great success for propaganda purposes. It has been said that another aim of the autobahn project, beyond creating national unity and strengthening centralized rule, was to provide mobility for the movement of military forces. This, however, overlooks the fact that gradients on autobahns built before the war were far too steep for the goods vehicles of the time[citation needed]. The autobahn's main purpose, then, was to enable a large proportion of the population to drive long distances in their own cars, enjoying the countryside along the way. This explains some of the autobahn's routing (as at Irschenberg on the A 8 from Munich to Salzburg) which offers spectacular views but is impractical for today's heavy goods traffic (see Nazi architecture).
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^ That doesn't mean that he built the first autobahn.

no no, there was a very loose and not very extensive autobahn built that had slid into decay due to the whole reparation payments and whatnot germany had to make for the first world war.. that, and until the 20's the car didn' really pick up that much as something people used extensively.

Exactly. Still, it's a popular myth that Hitler invented it, as Eva Herman claims for instance. The first Autobahn was opened in 1921 in Berlin. 1929-1932 the first actual Autobahn as we know it today was built from Cologne to Bonn. That was still in the Weimar Republic. Six more were planned, but not finished during that time.

Chilly, you realize we're having a DISCUSSION about the super-evil Nazis? There need to be more hysterics.

*runs around, arms flailing*

I hope I won't get fired from my job for this. The Nazometer is probably in overdrive already.

*runs after Grimm*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information