Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nazi sign stolen from Auschwitz Death Camp

Can I have extra butter?
    Act normal and the crowd will accept you. Act deranged and they will make you their leader

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by bomulll View Post
    i think it s alot of lol!
    because i cant see for which purpose anyone would take the "welcome sign"for auschwitz...
    And i dont understand why some jews find it upsetting anyway
    I'm sat here trying to think of a response to that and I can't. Well except for saying Sweet Fucking Hell!!!

Aaaanyway... Housemate is an ex-squaddie and comes from an army family and his dad was stationed in Germany for a few years so he lived out there as a kid. He's been to some of the places where the camps were and says it was a stunning (and not in a good way) experience, that you can virtually feel the pain and horror oozing out of the land where they were sited. I myself also firmly believe that intense actions and emotions leave their mark on the land, so I'm just thinking about the collosal amount of bad karma attached to that sign and I am hoping that it comes back on whoever took the sign and tears them to pieces, slowly, painfully and with a great amount of deliberation and malice.

thats exactly why i dont understand why anyone would take anything from that place!
    At the end of the war was a huge area of the camp destroyed because they wanted to get rid of "evidence"
    maybe this was another small attempt? i cant find an answer why anyone would do something like that

I'm just thinking about the collosal amount of bad karma attached to that sign
    Oh yeah. I wouldn't want that in my house. I'd bet there are a lot of Nazi memorabilia collectors who would pay a lot for it though.

Sickening.

Elite Member

thats exactly why i dont understand why anyone would take anything from that place!
    At the end of the war was a huge area of the camp destroyed because they wanted to get rid of "evidence"
    maybe this was another small attempt? i cant find an answer why anyone would do something like that
    which is really pointless I know a Sobibor survivor stated he still visits every year, he stated you can still find bones under the earth there.

Plus all the glasses, suitcases, teeth, hair ugh yeah you can't even begin to cover up what happened.

as i wrote in my first abit not so serious message on this thread:i have been there (thats why i even bothered to read about this story)!
    maybe they ll loose visitors now as the sign was sort of a "landmark"for the camp..

The Simon Wiesenthal Center, a leading Jewish human rights group, urged Poland to intensify its investigation and bring the thieves to justice. Rabbi Marvin Hier, the centre's founder and dean, said: "The 'Arbeit Macht Frei' sign has become the defining symbol of the Holocaust, because everyone knew that this was not a place where work makes you free, but it was the place where millions of men, women and children were brought for one purpose only – to be murdered."

Auschwitz theft 'was a professional job' - Europe, World - The Independent

Why jews care that it was stolen

Polish police retrieve damaged Auschwitz gate sign - Yahoo! News

WARSAW, Poland – Polish police found the infamous "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign that was stolen from the gate of the former Nazi death camp of Auschwitz after an intensive three-day hunt and arrested five suspects, police said early Monday. The sign was found cut into three pieces.
    Police spokeswoman Katarzyna Padlo told The Associated Press that the sign was found Sunday night in northern Poland, the other end of the country from the southern Polish town where the Auschwitz memorial museum is located and where it disappeared before dawn Friday.
    Padlo said police detained five men between the ages of 25 and 39 and took them for questioning to Krakow, which is the regional command of the area that includes the Auschwitz museum.
    Another police spokesman, Dariusz Nowak, said the 16-foot (5-meter) sign, made of hollow steel, was found cut into three pieces, each containing one of the words. The cruelly ironic phrase means "Work Sets You Free" and ran completely counter to the purpose of Auschwitz, which began as a concentration camp for political prisoners during the Nazi occupation of Poland and evolved into an extermination camp where Jews were gassed to death in factory-like fashion.
    The police refused to divulge any details of the circumstances in which the sign was found or to speculate on the motive of the perpetrators. They were expected to disclose more at a news conference in Krakow planned for 0800 GMT (3 a.m. EST) Monday.
    The sign that topped the main gate at the Auschwitz memorial site was stolen early Friday, setting off an international outcry at the disappearance of one of the most chilling and best known symbols of the Holocaust. State authorities made finding it a priority and appealed to all Poles for assistance.
    Museum authorities welcomed the news with huge relief despite the damage done to the sign. Spokesman Pawel Sawicki said conservation experts will have to determine how best to repair it and that the museum authorities hope to restore it to its place as soon as possible.
    Sawicki said the museum staff did not yet know who carried out the theft or why and were themselves waiting for more information from police.
    More than 1 million people, mostly Jews, but also Gypsies, Poles and others, died in the gas chambers or from starvation and disease while performing forced labor at Auschwitz, which Nazi Germany built in occupied Poland during World War II. The camp was liberated by the Soviet army on Jan. 27, 1945.
    Earlier on Sunday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called on Poland to act to find "these twisted criminals that desecrated the place where over a million Jews were murdered."
    "The sign is of the deepest historical importance to the Jewish people and the whole world, and is a tombstone for more than a million Jews," Netanyahu said.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post

Is that a real question ?

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    I have a feeling that it was mainly Jews that were killed in Auschwitz but don't quote me on that.

It was cut in 3 pieces?! Dickheads.

My high school's motto was "labor omnia vincit", meaning "work conquers all". Every time I looked at it, I couldn't help thinking of the sign above Auschwitz.

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    Is that a real question ?
    I don't think Honey meant that as a question. I thought she was highlighting the reason why they care about the sign getting stolen.

ive heard that the soviet regime replaced the sign long time ago so it wasnt the real one anyway

ive heard that the soviet regime replaced the sign long time ago so it wasnt the real one anyway
    Yeah, I'm sure. And why would they have bothered to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I don't think Honey meant that as a question. I thought she was highlighting the reason why they care about the sign getting stolen.
    Thank you Sarzy! It was a reply to an earlier post, there was no question mark after my statement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information