Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: The Migrant/Refugee Crisis In Europe

Would terrorists camouflage themselves as refugees to get into Europe and wreak havoc? Is that the fear?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

A*O

Yes they would. They arrive as totally anonymous "refugees" with no ID documentation, real or fake. They can claim to be Mr Syrian Schoolteacher - there's no way of telling. So they are given the benefit of the doubt and live in their host community planning God knows what. If the authorities have a good idea what these bastards look like they may be able to apprehend them but otherwise they remain at large and potentially dangerous.
    BITTER likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hungarian Camerawoman Fired for Kicking and Tripping Migrants Running from PoliceÂ*

A camerawoman for a Hungarian news station has been fired after other reporters filmed her kicking and tripping migrant refugees, including children, as they ran from police. The incident happened near the Hungarian-Serbian border, where hundreds of refugees broke through police lines and ran to hide in nearby wheat fields after being detained for hours.

Agence France-Presse reports that the camerawoman, identified as Petra Laszlo of the station N1TV, was caught on camera tripping a man running with a child in his arms, then kicking another running child. Laszlo is in blue in the video and photographs captured on video and put on Twitter.

The refugees, mainly from Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan, are part of thousands of people who have come through Hungary in recent weeks,trying desperately to reach Germany and other Northern European countries. They aren’t trying to remain in Hungary, both because it’s deeply economically depressed and hideously xenophobic. Ultra right-wing Prime Minister Viktor Orban has displayed an unapologetic hostility towards the refugees, writing in a recent editorial, “We do not want a large number of Muslims in our country. No one can force us to accept more than we want.”
    That hostility is also echoed by some Hungarian citizens. The migrants fled Hungarian police today after being detained without explanation in a field for hours. Laszlo filmed the refugees as they ran, but dropped her camera to kick and trip them. N1TV wrote on Facebook that she “behaved unacceptably” and her employment has been terminated.

It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Charming.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Would terrorists camouflage themselves as refugees to get into Europe and wreak havoc? Is that the fear?
    One argument that I read regarding this is that ISIS is a large organisation and are more likely to just fly people over with fake documents, or something. Why would they risk so much to have people enter Europe the slow way? And it's not like ISIS needs to infiltrate Europe, look at how many second generation immigrants go from Europe straight to ISIS. If ISIS wanted to start terrorist activity here they'd have little trouble recruiting people with European citizenship.
    BITTER and stef like this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

A*O

There is a LOT of fear and anger among the local communities, some justified, some not. I can totally see how this will galvanise the extreme rightwing nut job groups into taking direct action, especially as the various Govts response has been so disorganised, tepid and useless.
    BITTER likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    The refugees, mainly from Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan, are part of thousands of people who have come through Hungary in recent weeks,trying desperately to reach Germany and other Northern European countries. They aren’t trying to remain in Hungary, both because it’s deeply economically depressed and hideously xenophobic. Ultra right-wing Prime Minister Viktor Orban has displayed an unapologetic hostility towards the refugees, writing in a recent editorial, “We do not want a large number of Muslims in our country. No one can force us to accept more than we want.”
    That hostility is also echoed by some Hungarian citizens. The migrants fled Hungarian police today after being detained without explanation in a field for hours..
    The constant vilification of Hungary from some outlets really isn't helpful.

Poland also doesn't want to take many immigrants. I watched plenty of TV chats with politicians and people close to the topic, and it's a mess. But people are mostly worried about terrorism, about possible rapes and crime rise, and just the fact that Poland is a poor country with very little to offer it's own citizens. And yes, it's also xenophobic and whatever else applies.

But back to immgrants, I see a lot of propaganda online, just by viewing my facebook, 1/5 of my friends are pro-immigrant and think they should get help, and the rest is posting videos of muslims behaving like vandals, stories about how UK muslims are saying "we can't accept the laws of UK because it's not a muslim country" etc etc...

I don't even know what side I'm on... I probably just can't really care, seeing pictures of dead kids does nothing... seeing gay being thrown from roofs does nothing... I think it's because I've seen to many big bellied dead African child pictures since being a kid and it neutralizes any empathy? I feel so bad for saying that, but it must be like being from the US and hearing about shooting here, shooting there, people dead, a deep thought for a minute and then move with yo life?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Slushie View Post
    The constant vilification of Hungary from some outlets really isn't helpful.
    So tell me then, exactly which part of that paragraph isn't true? are you seriously trying to claim the Hungarian government isn't far-right and xenophobic and that Hungary doesn't have a high incidence of xenophobia, intolerance and racism?
    How is Hungary being vilified? By stating facts?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Mark Steyn (who's been predicting exactly this scenario for years).
    He would. He's a rabid, paranoid bigot.
    witchcurlgirl and sputnik like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I read on Buzzfeed that the people throwing stuff onto the tracks were protesting. They want to go to Austria, but were stopped and held in Hungary to be registered, as they should be. Then continue on their way. I do not know if that story is true or not.

It seems that they are ungrateful. Would they rather starve, and die of thirst than do the correct thing. Anything should be better than being at their home where violence is. But it seems they are creating violence themselves. And I wonder how many of them wanted the care packages and water. Many of them are following others by yelling, and throwing stuff.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

I never thought I'd see an immigration process that would make ours look orderly by comparison, but here we are....
    Clubber Lang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    So tell me then, exactly which part of that paragraph isn't true? are you seriously trying to claim the Hungarian government isn't far-right and xenophobic and that Hungary doesn't have a high incidence of xenophobia, intolerance and racism?
    I'm not denying that Orbán's a bollocks and that xenophobia is a much bigger problem in Hungary than in Western Europe (so I'm not really sure why I quoted that part of the article to make a point), however I'd say it's doing its best in dealing with this crisis which is putting an unnecessary strain on their already inferior economy. This isn't a rich country yet is the EU border point for this influx and therefore has to register everyone entering in order to be in accordance with EU law, even though most of these migrants will then move elsewhere i.e Germany, a country which is showing disregard for pretty much everyone else in this "union".

If Germany/the EU membership wants to house so many refugees or even to correct the supposed shambles that Hungary is making, then it has to start collecting them directly from the camps in Turkey, Lebanon etc. Under the current system of numerous border crossings, this is influx is putting too much of a strain on countries that just can't handle it and who simply don't want it (Greece and Hungary being the primary cases in mind), and it's inviting human trafficking and illegal immigrants from areas like the Balkans. Still, I guess under that system Merkel would have more trouble kicking out the ones she doesn't want whereas now she can send them back to Budapest without much thought.

Also, Orbán's comments about maintaining borders and being wary of Muslim immigration weren't unfounded, even if they were poorly worded.

This is happening in here for years now..First we had the Albanians,now they made some money,there are no jobs in here and most of them are back already.Then there is a steady flow from the middle east and turkey,Curds and pakistanis and afganis.The fucking country is flooded.Some of them work.Some of them are pimps and dealers.Of course there are criminals among them.Old people are mugged and killed or raped..Greek society is VERY tolerant and deeply democratic..we also know what migrants go through,elder generations migrated all over to support families..We so far suffer the most,either from damned EE policies in economy or being the far border of them all.We have elections,again in a couple of weeks.We are sick and tired.Screw EE and all rotten politicians..i hate each and every one and i am not taking part in this election..damned be all..
    Kathie_Moffett and LaFolie like this.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post

Just something to put out there:
    Hungary Orban
    Hungarian people≠ Orban and his policy

He can't be kicked out because the parties on the left shot themselves in the leg and disintegrated. There isn't an alternative for voters. The only party gaining power is surprise surprise, the far far right. The ruling party wants to keep those votes, so acts more hardcore on these issues to seem patriotic enough.
    Protests after protests are held almost daily (#notinmyname and others), tremendous amount of civilians take on the government's job to look after the refugees.

To be honest, Hungary has the most diverse population in Europe. A true melting pot since its members are oblivious to how mixed they are

I think the new addition is religion. The 150year occupation of the Turks (who didn't want to turn the population muslim) was a long ago and people are afraid of Muslims per se since they only know about Islam from the news and it's aint pretty. Hungarian Muslims blend in so well, you hardly hear about them.

Anyway, what I read in the news is that refugees have to apply for a status in Hungary, while standing on a no man's land (transit), which the govt will refuse in three hours and send them back to Serbia (or Croatia, Romania). Those who try to sneak in or break through will be apprehended, tried (fast lane) and deported back to Serbia. It's going to be ugly

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread Information