Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Libya: Defiant Moammar Gadhafi vows to die a 'martyr'

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Well the U.S. certainly didn't seem to give too much of a concern to sending in ground troops and whatnot to stop genocides, massacres, rapes, and other atrocities occurring in many African nations.

But once they get a sniff of that oil, we gotta send in the military to "save" the poor, unfortunate people.
    I was just about to say, if it's about saving people from being slaughtered then why the hell aren't 'we' in Zimbabwe trying to get rid of Mugabe? Atrocities have and are happening in lots of places.
    How likely is it that Gaddafi will get wiped out by the air strikes? It'll be the innocent people as usual that pay for it.

It's interesting to note that the US isn't doing this in regimes it backs that are experiencing similar. I guess it's not about freedom even if people are being mowed down by their own government as they protest, as long as said government serves a strategic purpose.

Bard.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    It's probably a combination of many things. His insanity, the killing of innocent people, his oil lines, the West's support of anything perceived to be a step toward democracy, probably all play a factor.

ETA: Celeb you do realize that this is a UN coalition effort right? The U.S. didn't go running in there, we are acting as part of the Security Council.
    Yes, but the UN security council only passed a resolution for a no-fly zone (which also authorized 'any necessary measures').

As far as I know there's nothing in that resolution which directs the United States to commit any military forces in support of this. There's nothing saying the U.S. absolutely has to be there.

I heard on my local news that the U.S. is "leading" the assault. I thought it was France that was doing the leading. Who is in charge of this entire operation cause it's not coming across as a UN sort of deal.

Yes, but the UN security council only passed a resolution for a no-fly zone (which also authorized 'any necessary measures').

As far as I know there's nothing in that resolution which directs the United States to commit any military forces in support of this. There's nothing saying the U.S. absolutely has to be there.
    The US isn't required to provide military forces but neither is France or Italy or Canada, etc and they have as well. But obviously, someone has to in order to enforce the resolution.

Yet the criticism goes to the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    I heard on my local news that the U.S. is "leading" the assault. I thought it was France that was doing the leading. Who is in charge of this entire operation cause it's not coming across as a UN sort of deal.
    It is France as far as the reports I've read. But ya know, good, bad or otherwise, it's the U.S.'s fault.

It usually is anyway.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The US isn't required to provide military forces but neither is France or Italy or Canada, etc and they have as well. But obviously, someone has to in order to enforce the resolution.

Yet the criticism goes to the U.S.

It is France as far as the reports I've read. But ya know, good, bad or otherwise, it's the U.S.'s fault.
    I don't think I was blaming the U.S. or saying anything was America's 'fault.'

I was questioning the need for our policy makers to be intervening in Libya. If it's because of 'humanitarian' reasons, then why not act on behalf of other people around the world who have suffered just as badly as Libyans, if not worse? As pointed out before we are not the world's police force, and hasn't Iraq/Afghanistan taught us anything? I still say that the minute anything to do with oil comes into the picture, the government of the U.S. will surely intervene (not all politicians of course would agree to intervene anywhere).

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I know this is not supposed to be funny but I'm watching the news and they're all "you can watch the rest of this coverage on click2houston" and they show a screen shot that had the most retarded banner that read "mideast" and had a bunch of silhouettes holding signs; it was just so awful I laughed out loud.
    Posted from my iPhone

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah its true ^ i wish we/god/someone somehow would have intervened in the Congo and Darfur, the genocide and other atrocities there is beyond hell on earth

1 1/2 million for each missle we launch. This will be expensive. $65 million just yesterday. And longgg. And no ground troops will be used? We are supposed to believe you Obama? I'm betting ground troops will enter if this lingers. Id like to see how they think a new government is going to be formed there. Who would take over IF Gadhafi falls?
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

^ Do you want him to remain in power?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

2 weeks ago nobody gave a shit

..., the West's support of anything perceived to be a step toward democracy,...
    we say we are supportive, but in all honesty isn't that the last thing the west wants?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I was just about to say, if it's about saving people from being slaughtered then why the hell aren't 'we' in Zimbabwe trying to get rid of Mugabe?
    because any involvement will directly affect the price of precious metals. zimbabwe is well known for its platinum mining.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    It's interesting to note that the US isn't doing this in regimes it backs that are experiencing similar. I guess it's not about freedom even if people are being mowed down by their own government as they protest, as long as said government serves a strategic purpose.
    this. we're not intervening for humanitarian reasons.

I don't think I was blaming the U.S. or saying anything was America's 'fault.'

I was questioning the need for our policy makers to be intervening in Libya. If it's because of 'humanitarian' reasons, then why not act on behalf of other people around the world who have suffered just as badly as Libyans, if not worse? As pointed out before we are not the world's police force, and hasn't Iraq/Afghanistan taught us anything? I still say that the minute anything to do with oil comes into the picture, the government of the U.S. will surely intervene (not all politicians of course would agree to intervene anywhere).
    I agree with this. I posted earlier that I thought oil was a factor. I'd just point out it's not just the U.S. that responds more quickly to oil rich countries.

As for "blame" I was more responding to the media reports already calling this the "U.S. led" whatever. Yes, we took the lead on the missile launch yesterday because we are the only country involved with the capability to do it.

But Obama has gone to great pains to point out this is a UN mission and the U.S. will play a supporting role only. Who knows what will actually happen, but I hope that is true.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Bahrain too, those citizens need help too...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information