Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Israel under fire

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has called for the accelerated construction of some 2,000 housing units in areas in the West Bank and around Jerusalem, an official statement said on Tuesday.

The statement came after Netanyahu called a special cabinet session to discuss the granting of full membership to the Palestinians by UNESCO, the U.N. cultural agency, a move opposed by Israel and the United States.

A senior government official said after the meeting that the cabinet had also decided to halt money transfers to the Palestinians Authority as a temporary measure until a final decision was made.

"You can't demand from the Israeli public to continue to show restraint when the Palestinian leadership continues to slam the door in their face," said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The statement said the new building will be in "areas that in any future arrangement will remain in Israel's hands."

The official said 1,650 of the new tenders are for units in eastern parts of Jerusalem, and the rest are for Efrat and Maale Adumim, Jewish settlements in the occupied West Bank.

In the absence of peace talks, which collapsed about a year ago in a dispute over settlement building, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has been seeking statehood recognition from the United Nations.

The Palestinians are looking to establish a state in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem, land Israel seized in the 1967 Middle East War.

On Monday, UNESCO granted the Palestinians full membership. Israel called the move a "tragedy" that would hurt peace efforts, and the United States said as a result it would stop funding the organization.

Israel routinely transfers funds it collects from customs and other levies on behalf of the Palestinian Authority.

Israel to speed up settlement building in West Bank | Reuters

eta: Then I guess because Netanyahu just endorsed building even more settlements, that makes him a part of the small group of idiots that doesn't represent Israel?
    Last edited by Dean James; November 1st, 2011 at 04:01 PM.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Quote Originally Posted by NHKMM View Post
    You still don't get that stettlement citizens DON'T REPRESENT ISRAEL? They're a small groups of idiots that cost nothing but trouble - and even so - - - they're million times better than any palestinian terrorist!
    if they're not representative of israel, then why does the government not take action against them and empty all the settlements? instead, it sends the army to protect them, like in the case of my friend's cousin who got killed defending one of these very settlements? trust me, his family (secular, from tel aviv and not supporters of the current government) hated the fact that their kid got killed at 20 defending these extremists and the government sent soldiers in to protect them instead of sending them in from the beginning to stop the settlement from happening in the first place.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

You still don't get that stettlement citizens DON'T REPRESENT ISRAEL? They're a small groups of idiots that cost nothing but trouble - and even so - - - they're million times better than any palestinian terrorist!
    Israeli citizens, living in recently constructed settlements after the Israeli government bulldozed palestinian homes that were already there, behind fences the israeli government builds, and protected by IDF soldiers, don't represent israel.

Ok then. The fuck are you smoking?

You're stealing what little land they have left. If that was me, I'd be firing rockets at your stupid ass too.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    if they're not representative of israel, then why does the government not take action against them and empty all the settlements? instead, it sends the army to protect them, like in the case of my friend's cousin who got killed defending one of these very settlements? trust me, his family (secular, from tel aviv and not supporters of the current government) hated the fact that their kid got killed at 20 defending these extremists and the government sent soldiers in to protect them instead of sending them in from the beginning to stop the settlement from happening in the first place.
    They did empty MANY settlements and I'm sure more in the future. If it was me I'd empty all of them.

STILL BETTER THAN KILLING INNOCENT PEOPLE ISN'T IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    If that was me, I'd be firing rockets at your stupid ass too.
    Well thank god you're nothing but a stupid, old, internet junkie who is bitching about everything all the time. Get a life.

As if that's the only issue. There are many many more.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

lol you need to get out of these threads because you're irrational and incapable of having a real debate about this.

israel started out with a lot of sympathy from a lot of people, especially in the u.s but it's losing a lot of it. and it's not the media's fault, and it's not anti-semitism. so maybe it's time to stop blaming everyone else and playing innocent victim and saying that the other side's worse and realise that there is no good or bad guy anymore, there is only a conflict that has gone on way too long and where both sides have committed atrocities and it's no use finger pointing any longer. also, it doesn't make any sense to keep trotting out what happened in ww2 when israel has done equally horrible shit to palestinians - you can't play the victim card anymore once you've been an oppressor too.

and the same goes for palestine too. trust me, in my job i've heard enough speeches by PLO spokespeople justifying terrorism and being just as blind and one-sided, to the point where i'd just roll my eyes, leave the conference room and go have a coffee when it was their turn to speak.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Well thank god you're nothing but a stupid, old, internet junkie who is bitching about everything all the time. Get a life.
    Grimmlok may be dyspeptic, but he's not stupid, that's for sure.

I think you should take the comments in here as a warning sign at how much good will Israel has squandered over the years encroaching into East Jerusalem and the West Bank, in the hopes of creating "facts on the ground" that allows for them to have a bigger piece of the land pie than they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    As if that's the only issue. There are many many more.
    israel started out with a lot of sympathy from a lot of people, especially in the u.s but it's losing a lot of it. and it's not the media's fault, and it's not anti-semitism. so maybe it's time to stop blaming everyone else and playing innocent victim and saying that the other side's worse and realise that there is no good or bad guy anymore, there is only a conflict that has gone on way too long and where both sides have committed atrocities and it's no use finger pointing any longer. also, it doesn't make any sense to keep trotting out what happened in ww2 when israel has done equally horrible shit to palestinians - you can't play the victim card anymore once you've been an oppressor too.
    So very true.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Am Israel Chai..
    Coffee is my happy drug

oh look, more settlements that only represent a tiny minority of israel and yet are fully backed by the government...

2 November 2011 Last updated at 02:54 GMT

Israel to speed up settler homes after Unesco vote

Almost 500,000 Jews already live in settlements on occupied territory
    Continue reading the main story Palestinian UN membership bid

Israel says it will speed up Jewish settlement construction in the West Bank and East Jerusalem - and temporarily freeze the transfer of funds to the Palestinian Authority.
    The announcement comes a day after the Palestinians won full membership of the UN cultural organisation, Unesco.
    Palestinian Authoirty President Mahmoud Abbas says the move will speed up the destruction of the peace process.
    The Israeli government has described the Unesco vote as a "tragedy".
    A spokesman for the Israeli foreign ministry, Yigal Palmor, told the BBC the measures were designed to increase pressure on the Palestinians.
    Mr Palmor said they were "a response to unilateral measures aimed at confronting Israel at the UN and elsewhere on the international scene".
    "They [the Palestinians] shouldn't be wasting time by all these manoeuvres. They should continue to negotiate," he said.
    The Israeli government said Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had called for the accelerated construction of about 2,000 housing units.
    It said the construction will be in "areas that in any future arrangement will remain in Israel's hands", according to a statement quoted by Reuters news agency.
    The BBC's Kevin Connolly in Jerusalem says the announcement will be seen as a punishment for the Palestinians and a warning to countries that backed their Unesco bid that Israel will react strongly if a similar application for Palestinian membership of the UN itself should prove successful.
    Peace talks between the Palestinians and Israel broke down more than a year ago. The Palestinians are demanding an end to settlement building.
    Almost 500,000 Jews live in settlements on occupied territory. The settlements are illegal under international law, although Israel disputes this.
    'Stealing money' The Palestinian presidency said the decision to speed up settlement construction amounted to a decision to "speed up the destruction of the peace process".
    Unesco is the first UN agency the Palestinians have sought to join since submitting their recognition bid.
    Nabil Abu Rudeina, the spokesman for Mr Abbas, said the decision to withhold funds collected by Israel on behalf of the Palestinian Authority was "stealing money from the Palestinian people."
    It will be the second time this year that Israel has withheld the revenues it collects on behalf of the Palestinian Authority.
    The money, which include duties on goods being imported to the Palestinian territories, amounts to about $100m each month - half of the PA's domestic revenue base.
    Israel withheld the revenues earlier this year after Mr Abbas concluded a reconciliation agreement with Hamas, the Islamist group that controls Gaza.
    The United States announced it was cancelling funding for the UN cultural body Unesco after it voted on Monday to grant full membership to the Palestinians.
    Membership dues paid by the US account for about a fifth of the organisation's annual budget.
    Unesco is the first UN agency the Palestinians have sought to join since submitting their bid for recognition to the Security Council in September.
    The UN Security Council will vote next month on whether to grant the Palestinians full UN membership.
    Are you Israeli or Palestinian? What are your thoughts on this story? Send us your comments using the form below.

^Was on the news this morning. Stupid goverment. Definitely a silly move.

(No, I don't think my country's decisions are perfect)

lol you need to get out of these threads because you're irrational and incapable of having a real debate about this.
    That's absolutely not true. I'm VERY aware and against stupid moves my goverment does (and yeah, it happens unfortunately) - - - but some of the people in here are very misinformed and it really irritates me.

While I do think the Palestinians HAVE A VALID POINT against the damn settlements - - - - - - I am sorry - - - - - NOTHING justifies TERROR and killing people. Which is unfortunately what happens. THAT'S MY POINT.

Anyway, these discussion don't do me much good, I'm done. Believe what you want guys - until you live in here you know nothing.

I wouldn't say we know nothing. But I also don't agree that you shouldn't be a part of this discussion. You are impassioned because you are in the middle of it and that is understandable. From the outside, though, we see decisions on the part of Israel's government like this one and its very hard to see this as anything other than apartheid, which is especially awkward considering the idea of a zionist state was supposed to be in response to Jewish oppression in the diaspora. The Israeli government is kind of culturally schizophrenic, no? To respond to Jews being oppressed in other countries by feeling justified in oppressing within their own?

Just like one feels frustrated that the Palestinian government is not doing enough to dissuade terrorism from its people, one is frustrated that the Israeli govt is reigning terrorism as well. Why are the Israeli people allowing this to happen? Why is the US funding it.

The other discussion on the other thread, though. I can understand both Grimm and Just Kill's position. The fallback of Israel in her supporters seems to be to accuse racism and anti-semitism of anyone who doesn't agree with their actions. What justification is there for that? What precisely did Grimm say that was racist? Crass, yes. Grimm is undeniably crass, but racist? I'm not so sure.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

PRE-ISLAMIC PALESTINE: WHO IS OCCUPYING WHOM?

The Jewish religion preceded Christianity which preceded Islam. The first temple in Jerusalem was built by the Hebrews in 957 BCE and afterwards Islam was founded in 622 CE, about 1579 years later. Jewish-Palestinians choose to call themselves Israelis as a reference to ancient Israel just like Muslim-Palestinians in Jordan choose to call themselves Jordanians. The two Islamic mosques in Jerusalem, the Dome of the Rock and Al-Asqua Mosque, were built on top of the sacred ruins of Temple Mount, Judaism's holiest site, as a monument to the Islamic conquest and occupation. Israel has never occupied the Muslim-Palestinian land since there were no Muslim-Palestinians in pre-Islamic Palestine to begin with but in 1948 Israel legitimately reclaimed a small portion of its ancestral homeland that dates back to ancient Jerusalem. Due to the demographic population growth of the Muslim-Palestinians in Israel, a practical two state solution is inevitable, and if those looking at this conflict only from the Muslim-Palestinian point of view attempt to learn the full history of the region then perhaps they would stop their animosity of Jews, Christians and other religions and start living in peace.

Let us note, UNESCO has accepted the coalition of Hamas-PLO Union as members, while consider the IslmicJihad, PFLP and DPFLP as legitimate opposition within "Palestine": All components, coalition and opposition, of "Palestine", call for the demise of a member state of UNESCO, that is Israel, and the demise of any trace of Jewish existence in this cradle of Jewish civilization and the national home of the Jewish people for the past 4,000 years with Jerusalem/Zion at its center.

This is the decision reached by an organization that considers itself a promoter of culture and education as well as the heritage of peoples and civilizations...

What a cynical world...!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information