Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Israel Attacks Unarmed Aid Flotilla in International Waters, Several Dead

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    .and the fact that six million were murdered in the Holocaust, reducing the population by around 40 percent at least. I think that might be at the top of the reasons, and it also resulted in the almost complete destruction of the main Jewish area in Europe, the Pale of Settlement, one of the areas which would probably have seen the greatest growth in Jewish population and have the lowest 'out of faith marriages'. It just nearly gutted the Jews as a people, culturally, historically.

Thank God that at least about a third survived in Europe, and that so many had emigrated previously, especially to the United States.
    My point was that in modern times a big issue that is discussed extensively in the Jewish community, particularly in America, is marrying outside the faith, particularly by Jewish men. My sister-a gentile-married a Jewish man. His brother, three of his cousins and any number of his friends also married outside the faith, and it has led to many discussions and articles being sent around about the issue. Google it. There's tons of stuff written about this. This doesn't negate what happened during the Holcaust or what Stalin did, etc. But I was talking about more modern times.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, which is the blockade. The funny thing about the blockade is the stuff that has been banned from going into the territories. Stuff like potato chips and cookies. Because giving them danged terrorists junk food will help make them crazy I guess.

Here's an interesting article:

JERUSALEM — Israel eased a three-year blockade of Gaza Wednesday to allow in some previously banned food items in an effort to defuse the worldwide furor over its deadly raid on a Gaza-bound international flotilla. But critics said the step falls far short of what is needed in the impoverished Palestinian territory.
    In the first tangible step to temper the uproar caused by last week's raid, Israel only narrowly expanded the list of items that can enter by adding little more than snack foods and spices. It did not permit the most sought after items, such as cement, steel and other materials needed to rebuild the war-devastated territory and it was unlikely to ease international pressure.
    "The international community is united in seeking an urgent and fundamental change in Israel's policy of blockading Gaza," said Maxwel Gaylard, the U.N.'s most senior humanitarian official in the Palestinian territories. "A modest expansion of the restrictive list of goods allowed into Gaza falls well short of what is needed. We need a fundamental change and an opening of crossings for commercial goods."
    Israeli officials said the move was meant to defuse pressure for an international investigation of the May 31 raid. The clashes broke out after Israeli naval commandos boarded one of six ships on the flotilla and some of the hundreds of pro-Palestinian activists on board attacked them with pipes and other makeshift weapons. The Israelis killed nine.
    The clash drew attention to the blockade, imposed by Israel and Egypt to punish and isolate Hamas militants who seized power of Gaza in 2007. Hamas does not recognize Israel, and refuses to renounce violence. Israel also wants to put pressure on Hamas to release a captured Israeli soldier it has held for four years.
    The blockade prevents all but basic humanitarian items and consumer goods from getting in, bars exports and prevents the import of goods such as metal cans and tubs of margarine needed for industrial production.
    Israel says the restrictions are needed to prevent Hamas, a group that has fired thousands of rockets into Israel, from rearming. It claims construction materials such as cement or metal could be used for military purposes.
    Gaza has been mired in poverty for decades but the closure deepened the misery, erasing tens of thousands of jobs and preventing the area from repairing damage from a fierce Israeli military offensive last year launched in response to years of Hamas rocket attacks from the territory.
    Palestinian official Raed Fattouh, who coordinates the flow of goods into Gaza with Israel, said soda, juice, jam, spices, shaving cream, potato chips, cookies and candy were now permitted. He said military officials began approving the expanded list of permitted products in meetings with Palestinian liaison officials last week.
    Fattouh said Israeli officials rebuffed Palestinian requests for construction goods, raw materials for factories to operate and medical devices.
    "I think Israel wants to diffuse international pressure," said Fattouh. "They want to show people that they are allowing things into Gaza. But it's not important for Gaza. The important thing for us is construction materials, electrical goods, notebooks, many things."
    A Hamas spokesman, Sami Abu Zuhri, said the gesture was not worth commenting on.
    An Israeli government official said authorities would continue to ease the blockade but could not lift the embargo altogether as long as Hamas remains in control.
    The Israeli officials all spoke on condition of anonymity pending a formal government announcement.
    Some of the items banned from Gaza seem arbitrary. Basic foodstuffs such as instant coffee and coriander were barred as luxury items, while more expensive foods such as herbal tea, salmon steaks and low-fat yogurt were permitted.
    Sari Bashi, an Israeli human rights advocate whose group, Gisha, has led criticism of the blockade, called Israel's easing a "cosmetic" gesture.
    "We are pleased that juice and sesame paste are no longer considered threats to Israeli security, but Israel needs to let in raw materials necessary to allow Gaza residents to engage in dignified, productive work," she said.
    Israel has rejected calls for an international investigation into the raid, fearing it would be biased against the Jewish state. Instead, officials are working on a formula for an investigation to be run by Israelis while including some international observers. Israel has been seeking U.S. support for this approach, but so far has not been able to reach a formula.
    "We are conferring with various factors in the international community regarding the appropriate process of investigation that will expose the facts on the Gaza flotilla. We know the truth," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told an investors' conference.
    Netanyahu said he, along with top government and military officials, would be willing to appear before the probe, but said it must look at key questions about the activists that clashed with the soldiers. Israel alleges they were hired mercenaries.The Associated Press: Israel eases Gaza blockade on some banned foods
    And let's not forget the many people who can't get treatment for cancer and other diseases due to the blockade. But the Israelis are kind enough to let painkillers through for the cancer sufferers. Sweet of them, really.

Can we also remember that roughly 70% of Palestinian families live on less than ONE DOLLAR a day? And that unemployment is closing in on 50%, mainly because people are not allowed permits out of the occupied territories to work or that the infrastructure has been so destroyed in teh occupied territories that there has been irreversable job loss? Soj, I do not argue with Israel's right to exist. I argue with their right to destroy generation after generation of people. It can't go on. It needs to stop.
    Last edited by buttmunch; June 9th, 2010 at 04:21 PM.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Thumbs down

Israel apologizes for sending link to flotilla parody - Yahoo! News

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOGG_osOoVg&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

The Israeli government has apologized for sending the press a link to an online video parodying last week's deadly commando raid on a flotilla of pro-Gaza activists.The video, which promptly went viral, has stirred up further outrage about the fallout from the raid, with some calling for the video's apparent creator, a Jerusalem Post columnist, to be fired for spoofing the circumstances of an attack claiming nine fatalities.

The video shows people dressed up as Gaza activists, some in Arab-looking attire, singing "We Con the World" to the tune of the Michael Jackson hit "We Are the World" with the "we" being the activists seeking to break Israel's blockade of Gaza. Waving knives and batons, the faux-activists sing: "We'll make the world abandon reason / We'll make them believe that the Hamas is Momma Teresa," and, "As Allah has shown us / For facts there's no demand."

The link had been "sent for our perusal" and "was not intended for general release," Israel's Government Press Office announced in its apology statement. "The contents of the video in no way represent the official policy of either the Government Press Office or of the State of Israel."

Israel maintains that the activists initiated the violence, and its footage from the attack shows Gaza activists waving knives and using batons.

The music video may have been released inadvertently, but it has since become a viral hit online, clocking nearly 2 million hits on YouTube. CNN reports that the parody was the work of Jerusalem Post columnist Caroline Glick, who served in the Israel Defense Forces.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Israel apologizes for sending link to flotilla parody - Yahoo! News

Israel maintains that the activists initiated the violence, and its footage from the attack shows Gaza activists waving knives and using batons.
    The key term being "its [Israel's] footage". Now, expect a whitewash internal investigation that would bleach the Gulf of Mexico.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Democracy Now is playing a "sneak preview" of footage onboard the Mavi Marmara, it's supposed to be shown fully at some UN thingy later today.

On a side note, I keep hearing it as "Marimar"
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I love Democracy Now. It saved me when I lived in Oz: 8-9.30am it was played, followed by China Today. I couldn't have survived without it.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Here's one hour of raw, unedited footage by a Brazilian on the ship. Decide for yourself what happened.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwsMJmvS0AY&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

--Sinclair Lewis

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread Information