Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel Attacks Unarmed Aid Flotilla in International Waters, Several Dead

Hearst Newspaper's White House correspondent Helen Thomas has weighed into the fray, though it might have been even better if she hadn't:

[YOUTUBE]7Kx8t6uW9Nk[/YOUTUBE]

Now here she is when she's minding her p's & q's

[YOUTUBE]2oQ4FwblzYY[/YOUTUBE]

Love that "nothing can bring them back" cheap cop out type remark. No use cryin' over spilled milk so what do you expect us to do? Even Mel Gibson says that you can't get the tooth paste back in the tube. Besides, it's easier to apologize than to ask for permission.

Now if the criminal courts might be so sanguine in murder cases, our judicial system could become even more farcical!
    Last edited by AgentOrange; June 5th, 2010 at 12:38 AM.

Hrm yeah, that's not practical. Pull back to the 1967 borders. That is acceptable.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

No starvation in Gaza, nevermind that 1/2 the food needed isn't getting through and that's from the UN's own report! How do you respond to that? Is the UN lying? Are the people eating grass doing it just because they like the taste?

I look forward to you answering ANY of this with any kind of fact.

Danish Report: No Food Crisis in Gaza

Elder of Ziyon provides a translation of a first-hand account by Danish reporter Steffen Jensen of the non-existent humanitarian crisis in Gaza which has international activists risking their lives illegally running a blockade:

Judging from the media, the situation in Gaza is desperate, everything is about to collapse, and the community is on the brink or at the level of a third world country. The Palestinian community's immediate downfall has been prophesied numerous times in the media. People have nothing to eat, we sometimes know. The UN must from time to time to stop food distribution, either because their stocks are running low, or because they can not get diesel for their trucks, and therefore can not carry food in. And so on.
    Yesterday I drove into the Gaza Strip. I don't do this as often as before [because it takes much longer to get through the checkpoints now.]
    This time, I had expected to see real suffering, because with all the fuss in recent days about bringing tons of humanitarian relief in - so much that people actually sacrificed their lives for it - there certainly had to really be a deep, desperate situation in the Gaza Strip. No food. Long queues in front of UN food stocks. Hungry children with food bowls.

But this was not the picture that greeted me.
    When I yesterday morning drove through Gaza City, I was immediately surprised that there are almost as many traffic jams as there always has been. Is there not a shortage of fuel? Apparently not. Gasoline is not even rationed.
    Many shops were closed yesterday, Hamas has declared a general strike in protest against Israel's brutal and deadly attack on the Turkish flotilla with pro-Palestinian activists on board. So it was difficult to estimate how many products were on the shelves. Therefore I went over to the Shati refugee camp, also known as Beach Camp. Here is one of Gaza's many vegetable markets that sell much more than just fruits and vegetables.
    I will not say whether, in better times has been a larger product range than there was yesterday. But there was certainly no shortage of vegetables, fruits or any other ordinary, basic foods. Tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, watermelons, potatoes - mountains of these items in the many stalls.
    I must admit I was a little surprised. Because when I call down here to my Palestinian friends, they tell me about all the problems and deficiencies, so I expected that the crisis was a little more clear.
    And the first woman we interviewed in the market confirms this strange, contradictory, negative mindset:
    "We have nothing," she said. We need everything! Food, drinks ... everything! "
    It disturbed her not at least that she stood between the mountains of vegetables, fruit, eggs, poultry and fish, while she spun this doomsday scenario.

Yousuf al-Assad Yazgy owns a fruit and vegetable outlet here in the market. All his fruit is imported from Israel.

"Not all fruit and all vegetables come from Israel. Ours does. They come from Israel. But in the Gaza Strip there is not very much fruit cultivated. Mostly tomatoes, potatoes and vegetables. So here with me are the vegetables and watermelon were from Gaza. All the fruit comes across the border from Israel," he explains, but also says that there can be long periods when the border is closed, and which therefore fruit does not come in. On the way out of the Shati camp we stop at a small grocery store. Not any fancy, expensive business. Just a small, humble local store. The proprietor Sun Mohammed Abu Nada says they would not be able to do business if it were not for contraband goods from Egypt.
    He takes us on a brief tour of the shelves and shows everything that comes from Egypt. It turns out to be much more than half of the goods. 75-80 per cent. I would estimate. Several other products - including long-life UHT milk - comes from Israel, but is also smuggled through tunnels from Egypt.
    The products are more expensive, he says. Many people cannot afford to buy them, or only to buy certain things sometimes. But all the while that even such a small, poor-looking grocery store on the outskirts of a refugee camp still has so many relatively expensive smuggled goods on the shelves shows nevertheless that many of the customers at least be able to afford to buy them. Otherwise, the merchant of course could not even afford to invest in unsold inventory.
    This story I have written to postulate that there are problems in the Gaza Strip, because that would be untrue. There are problems. Many problems indeed. But it is not lack of food, which primarily concern people down here. The biggest problem is the lack of jobs and a sustainable domestic economy.

CAMERA Snapshots: Danish Report: No Food Crisis in Gaza

..uh.. did you even read that article? LOL

ALso, here you go, a UN report.. this is a year old, so things have gotten worse. Not that you'll even give it a glance.

http://www.ochaopt.org/documents/Och...09_english.pdf

Oh, another one:

http://unispal.un.org/pdfs/GSclosure.pdf

even older

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Gaza's humanitarian crisis

Or the whole thing wrapped up in one site

United Nations Fact Finding Mission on the Gaza conflict
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Oh look, more lies from the IDF..

"The Times (UK) now reports that one commando killed six civilian activists, and he is now in line to receive a “medal of valor” for his supposed bravery in shooting in the head multiple civilians. This new spotlight on Staff Sergeant S, as he is referred to in order to protect his identity (valor indeed!), gives him a marvelous opportunity to earn himself an actual award—for helping to prove just how false is the IDF version of events.

In his testimony, he explains how he came to murder so many people. As reported by The Times:

'As he landed on the ship’s top deck, he said he saw three of his superior officers who had landed ahead of him lying wounded, one with a bullet wound to the stomach, another shot in the knee and the third beaten unconscious.

Taking charge, he formed his men in a perimeter around the wounded, pulled his 9mm Glock pistol and opened fire on passengers.'

Did you catch that? He told The Times that he pulled out his 9mm Glock pistol.

Yesterday, however, we were informed by a navy officer that navy commandos don’t carry 9mm guns, and that the empty 9mm casings were proof that the humanitarian activists had brought guns with them. Oops, someone forgot to tell Sergeant S. Then, of course, Michael Oren parroted a recital of this “evidence” on the op-ed pages of the New York Times, unchallenged by any differing opinions or contradictory testimony, as usual..."

Testimony of rogue commando who killed six civilian activists further undermines official IDF story
    LOL

Hit By Ban Bus!

Rachel Corrie Ship Now Boarded, And Under Arrest

Posted on June 4, 2010 by dandelionsalad

5th Jun 10 at 03:44

Rachel Corrie Ship Now Boarded, And Under Arrest

Rachel Corrie boarded, equipment jammed

by Free Gaza team
    Freegaza
    5 June, 2010

Press Release – Wed 5th June, 3.30am

The IPSC has been contacted by the MV Rachel Corrie in the past few minutes. Jenny Graham reported that they had been followed by Israeli ships for about 2 hours, and that in the last few minutes 2 ships were approaching from the port side. Ms Graham said that equipment on board had been jammed by the Israeli navy, and that they expected their satellite phone (number below) to be jammed soon as well. The line was bad, and we were unable to determine the exact location of the Rachel Corrie relative to their destination.

On hearing of the news, Freda Hughes of the Ireland Palestine Solidarity Campaign (IPSC) said: “We all hope that those on board the Rachel Corrie will remain safe and that there will be no repeat of Monday’s terrible attack on the Freedom Flotilla. Our hearts are with you.”

The Rachel Corrie is flying their Irish, Malaysian and Filipino flags at half mark as a mark of respect for their murdered comrades from the Mavi Marmama which was hijacked on Monday by Israeli commandos in an attack that left at least 9 people dead.

Speaking about Minister Micheal Martin’s statement earlier in which he said that those on board the Rachel Corrie had rejected a so-called deal that would involve them docking in the Israeli port of Ashdod, Jenny Graham said: “We will have no part in a deal that involves us legitimising the siege of Gaza. We intend to continue on our mission to deliver our cargo of aid and supplies to the people of Gaza. This has always been our intention.”

Yup. Boarded 30 KM out, in international waters. Another act of war and piracy.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Gaza is ILLEGALLY occupied by Israel. It's population is severely overcrowded in a tiny strip of land. Over 90% are refugees who were stripped of all their property and human rights so that foreign colonists could set up a racist "Jewish state" on Palestinian land. The people of Gaza are the destitute victims of Israeli ethnic cleansing, theft and terrorism from 1948 onward. Given the statistics about toxic dumping in Gaza and deliberately induced malnutrition, not to mention the denial of clean water and adequate medical equipment and services to this imprisoned population of refugees, they are the victims of de facto genocide, as well. Under international law and ALL relevant UN resolutions, Israel is the aggressor and the Palestinians are the victims of its belligerency, racism and greed.

These blockade runners, these heroic individuals of conscience are attempting to do what many governments are too cowardly to do: break a siege that is being imposed in violation of the law and all norms of human decency by a rogue, racist, terrorist state, in violation of more international laws and UN resolutions than any other state on the planet. Israel receives billions of dollars' worth of advanced weaponry annually from the world's biggest military superpower and uses it primarily and overwhelmingly against a captive population of civilian victims of its own ethnic cleansing. If there were any justice at all, it would be the massive shipments of weapons to Israel that would be stopped, not shipments of food and medicines and construction materials and schoolbooks for children to the Palestinians imprisoned in Gaza.

Malnutrition is skyrocketing and children, who make up more than 50% of Gaza's population, are suffering from stunted growth, anemia and PTSD, according to all independent observers on the ground. Why does Israel prevent lentils, tea, macaroni, shoes, clothing, school-books, paper and cement for reconstruction? Children need homes to live in, and schools to study in, but instead they get to live in cloth tents or the bombed rubble of their homes, eating food that is often spoiled due to lack of refrigeration, or cooked on fires made with salvaged wood, courtesy of Israel's "humanitarianism". By destroying Gaza's only power plant and water purification plant, Israel prevents access to clean drinking water or even toys for the children of Palestinians in Gaza, while ILLEGAL Jewish colonies on the Palestinians' stolen land are equipped with swimming pools and playgrounds, subsidized by American "aid".

This blockade is not LEGAL in the first place, it is a war crime, just as the Apartheid Wall that surrounds Palestinians in the West Bank was declared illegal by the International Criminal Court at the Hague. It is the Palestinian people who need defending from their Israeli tormentors and killers and jailers. As prisoners of a brutal military occupation, they need the rest of the world to grow some balls and enforce the Palestinians' legitimate HUMAN rights, including the right of return and reparations for the horrors they have been subjected to for over 60 years, for the sole reason that they are NOT Jewish.

See:

Norman Finkelstein
    Jeffrey Blankfort
    If Americans Knew

The U.S. wanted them to port at Ashdod and trust that Israel would deliver the goods to the people they are now starving. Unbelievable. The ship was searched prior to leaving and they said they welcome UN inspectors to search again when they reach Gaza to make sure they aren't delivering weapons. Not good enough for Israel, obviously. Instead they want to continue with an illegal blockade on illegally occupied territory. They say their sole intention is to stop weapons from being delivered into Gaza, yet that is not an issue here. The fact of the matter is that they want to stop humanitarian aid from reaching Gaza, and for the activists to not see the living conditions there. That is what it has always boiled down to. Like they said, "we are putting Gazans on a diet." God forbid anyone tries to help those who are suffering.

Israel has continued to illegally build Jewish-only settlements on the hilltops of Gaza in strategic formations, which is giving the Geneva convention the middle finger. It is illegal to for an occupier to build in occupied territory. They have built strategically, to block Gazans from their natural resources and control the water supplies. It is maddening to see nice homes built on the rubble of others' bulldozed houses. These settlements are assuring that Israel retains power in the region and lords it over the Gazans. They have taken everything from them and continues to do so. Can you imagine coming into another country, bulldozing their houses, and then building your own settlements on their land, in which members of only a certain faith can reside? The thought of it is unbearable.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Hit By Ban Bus!

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6536MF20100604 99% killed shot multiple times at close range.Autopsy reports evidence of executions

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6536MF20100604 99% killed shot multiple times at close range.Autopsy reports evidence of executions
    I thought I'd post the article, thanks for sharing.

Autopsy shows Gaza activists were hit 30 times: report

LONDON (Reuters) - Nine Turkish activists killed in an Israeli raid on a Gaza-bound aid ship were shot a total of 30 times and five died of gunshot wounds to the head, Britain's Guardian newspaper reported on Friday.
    World
    Autopsy results showed the men were hit mostly with 9mm bullets, many fired at close range, the Guardian said, quoting Yalcin Buyuk, vice-chairman of the Turkish council of forensic medicine which carried out the autopsies on Friday.
    Israeli commandos stormed a flotilla of aid ships planning to break the Israeli sea blockade of Gaza on Monday. The deaths, which all took place on one ship, the Mavi Marmara, drew widespread condemnation.
    Israel said the marines who rappelled onto the Mavi Marmara fired in self-defense after activists attacked them with clubs and knives as well as two pistols snatched from the commandos.
    The autopsy results showed that a 60-year-old man, Ibrahim Bilgen, was shot four times in the temple, chest, hip and back, the Guardian said.
    A 19-year-old, named as Fulkan Dogan, who also has U.S. citizenship, was shot five times from less than 45 cm (18 inches) away, in the face, the back of the head, twice in the leg and once in the back, it said.
    Two other men were shot four times. Five of those killed were shot either in the back of the head or in the back, the Guardian quoted Buyuk as saying.
    In addition to those killed, 48 others suffered gunshot wounds and six activists were still missing, he added.
    Israel said the multiple gunshot wounds did not mean the shots were fired other than in self defense.
    "The only situation when a soldier shot was when it was a clearly a life-threatening situation," the Guardian quoted a spokesman for the Israeli embassy in London as saying.
    "Pulling the trigger quickly can result in a few bullets being in the same body, but does not change the fact they were in a life-threatening situation," the spokesman said.
    The newspaper quoted Haluk Ince, chairman of the council of forensic medicine in Istanbul, as saying that in only one case was there a single bullet wound, to the forehead from a distant shot, while every other body showed multiple wounds.
    He said all but one of the bullets retrieved from the bodies came from 9mm rounds. Of the other round, Ince said: "It was the first time we have seen this kind of material used in firearms. It was just a container including many types of pellets usually used in shotguns. It penetrated the head region in the temple and we found it intact in the brain."
    No-one at Turkey's forensic laboratory could immediately be reached for comment.
    Turkey, Israel's only Muslim ally, stepped up its rhetoric over the killings on Friday, accusing the Jewish state of betraying its own biblical law.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Yup. Boarded 30 KM out, in international waters. Another act of war and piracy.
    'War & Piracy' are relative terms - meaning 'depends who your friends are'. Israel isn't Somalia or anything - meaning they've got America to back them up, so they can get away with a lot of shit.

Of course some might point out that Israel is getting more out of this relationship than America.

Came across this on ONTD Political - its a report on the details of the blockade - Apparently coriander is banned but cinnamen isn't - this blockade does not make sense and I also like how they define how much Gaza can live on. There was an Israeli official who said that Gazans 'should go on a diet'. If this was a European/Western country other countries would have intervened by now.

Details of Gaza blockade revealed in court case
    BBC News has seen documents, submitted to an Israeli Court, which give more detail than ever before about how and why Israel maintains its Gaza blockade.

In one document, Israel describes the import curbs as "a central pillar in the armed conflict with Hamas".

It also confirms estimates were made of how many calories Gazans need, but says these were not used for policy-making.

Israel says the blockade is to pressure Hamas, which does not recognise Israel and backs attacks on its citizens.

Three years ago, after the Islamist Hamas movement seized power, Israel and Egypt tightened their closure of Gaza's borders, leaving the territory's 1.5 million inhabitants facing acute shortages.

But Israel has never published a list of banned items, saying it approves requests on a case-by-case basis.

Items allowed have changed over time, which has left humanitarian organisations and commercial importers constantly attempting to guess what will be approved.

The court case has been brought by the Israeli human rights group, Gisha.

The group has been trying, for more than a year, using freedom of information legislation, to squeeze information from the state about what exactly is allowed for import to Gaza, and why.

In January, Gisha, took the Israeli authorities to court, to try to force them to provide the information.

Gisha's director, Sari Bashi, says she is no security expert, "but preventing children from receiving toys, preventing manufacturers from getting raw materials - I don't see how that's responsive to Israeli security needs."

And she says that some of the prohibitions appear to be absurdly arbitrary: "I certainly don't understand why cinnamon is permitted, but coriander is forbidden. Is there something more dangerous about coriander? Is coriander more critical to Gaza's economy than cinnamon? This is a policy that appears to make no sense."

She argues that if there is a logic behind such decisions, the military should reveal what it is.

'Conflict against Hamas'

Now, after several months' waiting, the state has given its response to the court, in a written submission, seen by the BBC.

It throws a small pool of light on the process behind the blockade.

The overall rationale is set out, in bold type: "The limitation on the transfer of goods is a central pillar in the means at the disposal of the State of Israel in the armed conflict between it and Hamas."

The Israeli authorities also confirm the existence of four documents related to how the blockade works: how they process requests for imports into Gaza, how they monitor the shortages within Gaza, their approved list of what is allowed in, and a document entitled "Food Consumption in the Gaza Strip - Red Lines" which sets out the minimum calorie intake needed by Gaza's million and a half inhabitants, according to their age and sex.

This paper was however, the state insists, just a draft power-point presentation, used for "internal planning work", which "never served as a basis for the policy of the authority".

But while the first three documents promise a great deal of detail, that detail is not delivered.

In each case, the state argues that disclosure of what is allowed in and why would, in their words, "damage national security and harm foreign relations".

It offers, instead, to reveal the contents of the documents to the court in a private session with the judge.

'Collective punishment'

The lack of clarity causes immense frustration not just among Gazans, but among aid groups, diplomats, and the United Nations - which has described Israel's blockade as "collective punishment"

The problem, they say, is not just the shortages themselves, but the unpredictability and changing nature of what is permitted for import.

Israeli officials have said, in the past, that they are concerned that building materials in particular could be misappropriated by Hamas for military ends.

But some Israeli commentators - even those who advocate a tough stance against Hamas - say that the strategy behind the much wider blockade is ill-defined, and harmful to Israel's international standing.

The BBC has received information from reliable sources that there are currently 81 items that are approved for import - from kidney beans to tinned meat - and as of March, shoes.

Among the large range of goods currently forbidden are jam, chocolate, wood for furniture, fruit juice, textiles, and plastic toys.

The 13-page submission by the Israeli authorities to the Tel Aviv District Court raises more questions than it answers.

It does set the context for the blockade: in what Israel considers to be its existential conflict with Hamas.

But it will not satisfy those calling for Israel to be more open about one of its most contentious policies.
    BBC News - Details of Gaza blockade revealed in court case

Well thank God nobody was hurt or killed in this latest vessel 'seizure' at least.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Well thank God nobody was hurt or killed in this latest vessel 'seizure' at least.
    Apparently not, but I for one will be waiting to see what condition the passengers are in when released and what accounts they give of their captivity. All eyes are on Israel right now and that may be staying their hand, but it remains to be seen how deeply their true arrogance runs and whether they will treat those held according to international laws and guidelines.

There has already been so many tales told by official Israeli sources that have since been debunked that I don't feel comfortable believing that the people seized are safe or will be properly treated.

Also, has there been any confirmation that the Rachel Corrie was boarded in international waters? I'm not trying to be argumentative about this, I just want to be certain of whether this was the case or not. If this is indeed the case and this second act of privateering goes unchallenged and unpunished then what is to stop military forces of ANY country doing the same to any merchant/private vessel passing near their territory? Or does it only not count if it's Israel or a 'friend of America'? A dangerous precedent is being set if this continues to go unchallenged.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information