Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Iran to sponsor Holocaust cartoon contest.

A*O

Default Re: Iran to sponsor Holocaust cartoon contest.

But Hazel, I am sure you can see why so many people have a stereotypical view of Muslims being violent fanatics because the only images we see in the media reinforce those stereotypes. It's partly the media's fault of course, but I still think that non-Muslims would have a lot more respect for, and trust in the 'peaceful' beliefs and practices of Islam if moderate, tolerant, reasonable Muslims like you and thousands of others stood up to be counted instead of letting the maniacs grab the headlines all the time.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O
    But Hazel, I am sure you can see why so many people have a stereotypical view of Muslims being violent fanatics because the only images we see in the media reinforce those stereotypes. It's partly the media's fault of course, but I still think that non-Muslims would have a lot more respect for, and trust in the 'peaceful' beliefs and practices of Islam if moderate, tolerant, reasonable Muslims like you and thousands of others stood up to be counted instead of letting the maniacs grab the headlines all the time.
    But you know, that is how it works in politics.

All it comes down to here is that this is all about the issue of representation. In the West, the eastern hemisphere is depicted as "the Other" and as inferior. If you notice, the powerful Western nations tend to be in wars with nations from the eastern hemisphere. That is how the West identifies itself, with what it is not. This is all a propaganda tactic by the Western press and why when there is a "War on Terror" they let radical Muslims overpower the headlines.During the Cold War, there was all these negative stereotypes imposed on Soviets, and communists. Same with the Japanese. It is all In this world and age, it is also the nations with the most power that get to represent and define others since they have the means to. Thus, in this case, the West depicts Islam in this negative light since they have the advantage to. History is written by the victors.

The thing that people need to realize is that these radicals only use Islam as a political tool to pursue their sickening agendas. People need to learn to disassociate Islam with these negative stereotypes. So, if it was not for religious fundamentalism, it could have been communism or marxism with distorted ideals they could have used if this was in the era of the Cold War.

For example, in American society, sometimes African Americans are depicted as thieves,gangsters and killers in their media. So why take these negative stereotypes and reinforce them to be about African Americans?After the 1992 LA riots which were sparked because of the acquittal of Rodney King, some out there used the excuse of riots to reinforce their beliefs on the stereotypes of African Americans.

That is why these cartoons were found to be offensive to the Muslim community. They were connotated with negative and prejudicial sense and which IS dangerous because then they are used to justify certain discriminatory behaviours about Muslims. What they do is they exaggerate to the point where it becomes repulsive or ridiculous. That is what feeds discrimination, racism and intolerance in this world.

The thing though is that I don't see a lot of moderate non-fundamentalist Muslims ever coming out in the news and condemning the fundamentalists. Like, isn't there a "National Muslim Association of America" or like something to that effect which has a president or spokesperson who could say something? I mean, if the other Muslims don't do anything to dispel this notion, then people will come to their own conclusions regardless of any cartoon. Obviously people had these feelings before the cartoons were even published, so the Muslims who do not agree that the violent actions taken were appropriate or necessary, should speak out about it because staying silent is the worst possible thing to do.

SVZ

Lol, and what about every single cartoon that depicts asian people? I'm sorry, but not all our eyes are straight lines, and we don't all wear lab coats and carry around mathetmatic boards. And we also don't also say "Wasooooooooooo"

Does Asia riot? No, they breed with Westerners and build better technology

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohmygoodness
    The thing though is that I don't see a lot of moderate non-fundamentalist Muslims ever coming out in the news and condemning the fundamentalists. Like, isn't there a "National Muslim Association of America" or like something to that effect which has a president or spokesperson who could say something? I mean, if the other Muslims don't do anything to dispel this notion, then people will come to their own conclusions regardless of any cartoon. Obviously people had these feelings before the cartoons were even published, so the Muslims who do not agree that the violent actions taken were appropriate or necessary, should speak out about it because staying silent is the worst possible thing to do.
    There is condemnations from Muslim officials and leaders.
    Appeals for calm over cartoon row
    Muslim leader joins U.N., EU in condemning violence

(CNN) -- The leader of the world's largest Muslim organization has joined other world leaders in condemning violence over the publication of cartoon caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed.

Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, head of the Organization of the Islamic Conference, joined with U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan and Javier Solana, the European Union's foreign policy chief, in calling for calm, saying they were "deeply alarmed at the repercussions" the cartoons have caused.

"We call on the authorities of all countries to protect all diplomatic premises and foreign citizens against unlawful attack," read the statement released by the three world leaders.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/as...toon.protests/

I just don't understand how any stupid cartoon can be considered so offensive that it causes people to riot and kill people because of it. It's just a cartoon, that is all. Not worth human life.
    Keep passing the open windows.

The people rampaging are not very concerned about that, they're religious fundie nutjobs.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O
    It's my understanding that Islam forbids the pictorial representation of ANY human or animal figure, let alone that of the Prophet. Is this correct?
    Not as such, as far as I can determine. It is definitely discouraged, however. I have a book on the history of Islam that is full of images of humans, animals and the prophet himself. Mind you, many of the images predate medieval times. However, depictions seemed to continue into the 1600's with some interesting changes. In the later depictions, the artists become more and more careful not to give offence. In order to avoid inaccurate paintings, Muhammed and his family are shown veiled and he is wreathed in a halo of flames.

The Koran evidently has no explicit directive forbidding depictions of Allah or his prophet. The tendency toward not painting images seems to have evolved over time. However, the Koran does say in chapter 42, verse 11: "[Allah is] the originator of the heavens and the earth... [there is] nothing like a likeness of Him."

Muslims have taken this to mean that the beauty and grandeur of Allah cannot be captured in a man made image. To try to do such a thing would be taken as an insult to Allah. The same is then extended to the prophet.

Also: Chapter 21, verses 52-54 of the Koran read: "[Abraham] said to his father and his people: 'What are these images to whose worship you cleave?' They said: 'We found our fathers worshipping them.' He said: 'Certainly you have been, you and your fathers, in manifest error.'"

This seems to have led to the belief that images can cause idolatry. The divine being should be the object of veneration rather than the image. Baptists I have met employ the same argument in condemning Catholics.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy
    Not as such, as far as I can determine. It is definitely discouraged, however. I have a book on the history of Islam that is full of images of humans, animals and the prophet himself. Mind you, many of the images predate medieval times. However, depictions seemed to continue into the 1600's with some interesting changes. In the later depictions, the artists become more and more careful not to give offence. In order to avoid inaccurate paintings, Muhammed and his family are shown veiled and he is wreathed in a halo of flames.

The Koran evidently has no explicit directive forbidding depictions of Allah or his prophet. The tendency toward not painting images seems to have evolved over time. However, the Koran does say in chapter 42, verse 11: "[Allah is] the originator of the heavens and the earth... [there is] nothing like a likeness of Him."

Muslims have taken this to mean that the beauty and grandeur of Allah cannot be captured in a man made image. To try to do such a thing would be taken as an insult to Allah. The same is then extended to the prophet.

Also: Chapter 21, verses 52-54 of the Koran read: "[Abraham] said to his father and his people: 'What are these images to whose worship you cleave?' They said: 'We found our fathers worshipping them.' He said: 'Certainly you have been, you and your fathers, in manifest error.'"

This seems to have led to the belief that images can cause idolatry. The divine being should be the object of veneration rather than the image. Baptists I have met employ the same argument in condemning Catholics.

Yes,you have done your research well. Even though it is not clearly stated in the Qur'an, that is what has been made of it and interpreted for it to be. They consider prophet figures too holy to emulate in drawings. This can be said for Jesus,Moses,etc..and all the other prophets. In Islamic culture there is no drawings of Gods or Prophets. Even the movie, The Messenger that was made about Prophet Mohammed,you do not see him, it is just the camera implying it is Prophet Mohammed.

So, it is embedded more in culture rather than actual Islamic interpretation of the Qur'an and law. It is also from hadiths, which are sayings and proverbs of the Prophet's companions or the Prophet himself which imply that drawing God or prophets is considered to be blasphemous and adultery. BUT, with hadiths, they should not be taken so literally because they are trangressed sayings. But, some Muslims take them as word even though sometimes they can contradict the Qur'an.

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgow53
    I just don't understand how any stupid cartoon can be considered so offensive that it causes people to riot and kill people because of it. It's just a cartoon, that is all. Not worth human life.
    Yes, I agree it is unjustifiable,but I guess they let their rage take over and let this be blown way out of proportion.

When you live in improvierished countries, under oppressive regimes which violate human rights, and in an introverted and enclosed culture with takes on traditional cultures, they tend to handle it differently and interpret things like this differently. It is also the fact these these religious Muslims believe the West is out to get them (because of their foreign policies imposed on the Middle East) and trying to bring down Islam. So they associate these cartoons which depict their prophet in a negative light and Muslims as an attack and they react with rage and violence even though it is unjustifiable. They understand this all differently than we would.

That's because they're stuck in the 7th century, culture and religion-wise. Islam just kind of froze at what was then the zenith of development and hasn't advanced much since.

The whole middle east and Islam itself needs an overhaul. It's a dusty relic from 1000 years ago and needs to be brought into the modern world.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    That's because they're stuck in the 7th century, culture and religion-wise. Islam just kind of froze at what was then the zenith of development and hasn't advanced much since.

The whole middle east and Islam itself needs an overhaul. It's a dusty relic from 1000 years ago and needs to be brought into the modern world.
    Well I agree with you to some extent. Good to know that you are educated and know very well about how when the Islamic Golden Age was blooming in the 7th century and before that, Europe and Christianity were stuck in the Dark Ages.

The thing is that in the Middle East, it is a theocracy. So, basically Islam is their way of life. They also end up interpretating the Qur'an way out context since a lot of passages in the Qur'an are pretty vague.

How can they have reforms and be more progressive when their governments are dictatorships and are oppressive towards them and they live in impoverished conditions. Their needs to be certain reforms which lead up to being more modern culture and religion wise.

What is so ironic is that before the 70's, the Middle East was pretty secular. They were greatly influenced by their colonies so in their culture was embedded with western influence. Women used to dress more skimpy and get away with it, the movies even had couples kiss,etc...Then during the Iranian revolution with Khomeini, that is when Islamic fundamentalism rised out of its ashes. Ever since since it started to spread to other Middle Eastern countries and is now used as a power tool for these radicals to pursue their agenda. It also helped them out greatly that the U.S. funded these Islamic radicals during the Cold War, so now they take all that to fight off the foreign policies of the West.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazeleyed_Honey
    So they associate these cartoons which depict their prophet in a negative light and Muslims as an attack and they react with rage and violence even though it is unjustifiable. They understand this all differently than we would.
    So, how much of the demonstrating would you consider to be motivated by true outrage and how much simply by the sort of mob mentality that, for example, leads to sports fans overturning cars?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy
    So, how much of the demonstrating would you consider to be motivated by true outrage and how much simply by the sort of mob mentality that, for example, leads to sports fans overturning cars?
    It can definetly be from both. I think there is more of a political driven outrage behind it though.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgow53
    It is amazing that these countries seem to feel that torture and beheading people is just fine, and roadside bombing, etc., but let there be some cartoons of Mohammed and they go ape shit.
    I agree with you. In fact, I was just saying these same exact words today.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ
    Lol, and what about every single cartoon that depicts asian people? I'm sorry, but not all our eyes are straight lines, and we don't all wear lab coats and carry around mathetmatic boards. And we also don't also say "Wasooooooooooo"

Does Asia riot? No, they breed with Westerners and build better technology

To stereotype even more, Asians are quiet, introspective and although they could prolly kick your arse with some uber martial arts, they tend not to resort to violence.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information