Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Iran to sponsor Holocaust cartoon contest.

Default Re: Iran to sponsor Holocaust cartoon contest.

oh come, how do you run giant battle robots on oil? these babies will run on plutonium.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Oh yes, I know how evil western powers have been. How does that excuse the actions of said nutjobs over a frigging cartoon?
    It doesn't excuse the actions of those people, however, it is not fair that some are saying that ALL Muslims are terrorists (as the cartoons implied) or that all Muslims condone these acts.
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

Forgive me for not being sympathetic, but when someone mocks a televangelist for being a plastic, bouffant haired, sweaty blowhard does that mean the cartoon is also mocking all of christianity, and if so.. why haven't said legions of evangelists freaked out and started setting fire to newspaper publications?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Mocking an evangelist is not AT ALL the same thing as mocking the Prophet. I can understand mocking some of things Muslims do, but I think that some lines should not be crossed. The cartoons were downright hateful & offensive. They served NO purpose but to incite the Muslim community. NONE whatsoever.

The cartoon was mocking a figure that is very dear to ALL Muslims, somebody who ALL Muslism look up to, so yes, it is mocking ALL Muslims.
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

Ah, real giant robots! Now, that's the ticket! I was thinking of cyber-bots. Much better though. They would have no problem with a draft if that was the case. Everyone would want to play war.

On a serious note, I am hoping that all the world's religions kill each other off and then this really will be a cool planet. Happy little folks all doing their own thing and minding their own business. Didn't John Lennon write that song?......

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    Mocking an evangelist is not AT ALL the same thing as mocking the Prophet. I can understand mocking some of things Muslims do, but I think that some lines should not be crossed. The cartoons were downright hateful & offensive. They served NO purpose but to incite the Muslim community. NONE whatsoever.

The cartoon was mocking a figure that is very dear to ALL Muslims, somebody who ALL Muslism look up to, so yes, it is mocking ALL Muslims.
    I've seen cartoons in my newspaper mocking Jesus before.

Yeah, so either Christians didn't freak out ENOUGH, or the Muslims going crazy are freaking out too much.

Frankly, I don't see why any religion should be free from being lampooned or criticized. Anybody who thinks a belief system is above reproach and that should not be looked at critically makes me instantly suspicious.

See, this is starting to piss me off:

A town in Belgium has banned an artwork of Saddam Hussein for fear that it will put off tourists and offend Muslims.

The piece, called Saddam Hussein Shark, shows the handcuffed ex-Iraqi ruler suspended in liquid and wearing nothing more than underpants.

The mayor of Middelkerke, Michel Landuyt, said the work could "shock people", including Muslims.

He said he decided to ban Czech artist David Cerny's sculpture before the row over cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

The Saddam piece, which echoes British artist Damien Hirst's famous shark suspended in formaldehyde, was first shown in Prague last September.

'Too shocking'

But Mr Landuyt felt its exhibition would be too much for the small Belgian seaside town. "In my view, it was too shocking," he said.

"They wanted to put this piece in a location where many children come, so that couldn't be allowed," he told the BBC.

He added that the work was now going to be displayed in a museum in the Belgian city of Ostend.

"When you go to a museum and are prepared to see those things and there is an explanation, perhaps there is no problem. But when you come somewhere where you don't expect that, it can be a problem," he said.

Mr Cerny is an anti-conformist artist. His previous works have included a man hanging from a pole using just one hand, a series of "kits" including one of Jesus, and a pair of naked bronze figures urinating into a pond.

Damien Hirst's well-known shark installation, entitled The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living, was commissioned by art collector Charles Saatchi in 1991 for 50,000.

It propelled Hirst to fame when it first went on display in 1992.
    I'm tired of people with religious beliefs being the reason art is censored.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohmygoodness
    I've seen cartoons in my newspaper mocking Jesus before.
    Yes,I know there is cartoons here which make fun of Jesus. But, those cartoons are not intended to harm or demean all Christians. They are more tongue in cheek. As I have mentioned, on February 4, 2006, Danish newspaper Politiken printed that Jyllands-Posten in 2003 received a submission of a cartoon of the resurrection of Jesus and did not print it. The article alleges that the reason JP did not publish the image was concern that it would lead to an outcry. So, yes I think there was an intent in these cartoons to draw Muslims and Islam in a negative light.

The satirical nature of some of the drawings was not considered respectful, especially one that shows Muhammad with a bomb in his turban, thereby re-enforcing the stereotypical association of Islam with terrorism. That is what it was about and that is why we Muslims found it prejudice and offrensive.

It's a freaking cartoon. I don't think many people get their opinion of the world from a cartoon. If they do, then I think I'll take myself out back and shoot myself in the head, because humanity has completely gone down the toilet.

That is what it was about and that is why we Muslims found it prejudice and offrensive.
    Yes, and the perfect way to dispell that notion is by setting fire to things and destroying buildings, chanting "death to denmark!"

Brilliant strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by cynic

On a serious note, I am hoping that all the world's religions kill each other off and then this really will be a cool planet. Happy little folks all doing their own thing and minding their own business. Didn't John Lennon write that song?......

It's a freaking cartoon. I don't think many people get their opinion of the world from a cartoon. If they do, then I think I'll take myself out back and shoot myself in the head, because humanity has completely gone down the toilet.
    if they do will you shoot me in the head too before you off yourself? *and I have called it so I am first in line bitches! *

I thought this letter was really spot on, regarding this issue:

The freedom of religion is the product of the separation between politics and religion; what we in Western society call the separation of church and state. When those two are separate, and to the degree that they are in any society, religion is a matter of personal conscience. Under those circumstances no one has the right to criticize the personal belief of any other law-abiding citizen.

When societies set up religious states, when they infringe on the personal freedoms of their own citizens and persecute them for not abiding by religious law, when they kill their opponents in the name of their God in other countries across the globe, they have in fact dragged their religion into the sewer of politics and degraded it to the point that criticism is not only fair game, but a moral obligation of any person and even more so of any true believer.

The cartoonist had the courage to say what needed to be said. He was not degrading Islam, he was demonstrating the degradation of Islam produced by a significant number of its adherents. The response struck a raw nerve because the criticism is valid. The extreme violence of the response only confirms the point.

Silver Member

To YOU, it is just a cartoon, to Muslims, it was downright offensive and prejudice. One thing people have to take reason to is that different asethetics are read differently in different cultures. What is the norm to some and seen as harmless is downright prejudice and offensive to others in their culture especially when it depicts them with prejudice undertones.

If there was a drawing about blacks depicting them as gangsters, thieves and killers, and Jews depicted as killers with Moses with a bomb on him...Would people also just claim, yes it is just a cartoon?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Yes, and the perfect way to dispell that notion is by setting fire to things and destroying buildings, chanting "death to denmark!"

Brilliant strategy.
    Grimmlock,I am talking about the publishing of the cartoons...but definetly yes, the violence is UNEXCUSABLE and UNJUSTIFIED.

Again, if Jewish people were portrayed in such a way in the Western media, it would be considered terrible & everyone would be speaking out against it. For some reason, depicting Islam in such an unfavorable light is considered acceptable.

bottom line is muslims can't complain now since they went ahead and did the same thing.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information