Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Iceland close to becoming first country where no Down's syndrome children are born

Elite Member

I hate this viral article.
    Iceland has low birth rates already, so one abortion for T21 skews it quite a bit. It isn't about getting rid of all trace of DS.
    My son's 3 and we were offered NT, now all woman 35+ are offered NIPT testing.
    Kittylady likes this.

CVS is more accurate than nucal transparency and detects more chromosomal abnormalities. A co-worker of Mrs Mos whose son had Hurlers was bummed we took the test

czb

yeah, but CVS is more invasive and can be high risk.

NT is easy and no-risk.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

The right to choose is a double edged sword, but we are better off with it than without so I will always, ALWAYS support choice.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by LaFolie View Post
    Smells like Nazi times...
    Not really. In this case individuals are free to make their own choices which is entirely different from a government mandate designed to eliminate people with Down's.

I'm not sure why this is an article. I support choice 100% but gotta agree that I don't know why this is being lauded as some huge break thru. I thought the testing was there already.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    Not really. In this case individuals are free to make their own choices which is entirely different from a government mandate designed to eliminate people with Down's.
    Yes, I guess I had a knee-jerk reaction there.
    On avance, on avance, on avance...

Elite Member

CVS/Amnio has <1% miscarriage risk the exact stats for many clinics are hard to track because many clinics refer to MFMs for invasive testing and that patient goes back to their home clinic if all is well. Those who do have a baby with a trisomy will likely stay but already have a higher risk of miscarriage.
    I guess I've never understood the mentality I won't do invasive testing it will change nothing-- it could save your child's life! Having the right NICU team there is important for medically fragile babies.
    As an aside the NT showed extremely low PAPPA for us-- risks include fetal demise, IUGR, pre-eclampsia, preterm labor, gestational hypertension and stillbirth. I ended up with over half. It was caught before my son was in severe distress because protocol is routine surveillance and I literally was on the table delivering when my placenta abrupted-- it was delivered before my 2 lb 15 oz son.
    stella blue and Kittylady like this.

CVS test is very comprehensive and detects all chromosomal abnormalities. No educated guesses. You can do it before the end of the first trimester - earlier than amino. We used it both times and we might have made a decision based on the results - we will never really know. Because of maternal age, insurance paid for the genetic counseling and the tests.

I think by the time we had our second, the risk of Down had Gone from 1:210 to about 1:70.

Before I realized that I didn't want any kids, I knew that after 35, they gave you this shot that told you if your baby was gonna have Down's syndrome. It sounded horrible, like a big needle going into your abdomin.
    BITTER likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Not too far off. Up the V and covered by insurance instead of out of pocket

czb

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Before I realized that I didn't want any kids, I knew that after 35, they gave you this shot that told you if your baby was gonna have Down's syndrome. It sounded horrible, like a big needle going into your abdomin.
    needle in the abdomen is amnio.
    thanhmy likes this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

If I was to fall pregnant then I would definitely have all the tests available, and should those tests show abnormalities I think I probably would choose to have a termination. That's based on our ages and health (in other words, potentially shorter available lifespan to provide care), having two disabled step-siblings and knowing someone with a profoundly disabled child and seeing what both the parents and the children have gone through, not to mention the thought of what happens once you are too old/too frail/no longer alive to care for them.
    czb and sputnik like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    If I was to fall pregnant then I would definitely have all the tests available, and should those tests show abnormalities I think I probably would choose to have a termination. That's based on our ages and health (in other words, potentially shorter available lifespan to provide care), having two disabled step-siblings and knowing someone with a profoundly disabled child and seeing what both the parents and the children have gone through, not to mention the thought of what happens once you are too old/too frail/no longer alive to care for them.
    I have to agree with you. I've already had to make a choice that was pretty much "my already compromised health or this pregnancy".

I know several people who have children/siblings with Down Syndrome of various age, one is turning 70 soon! The happy go luck Down kid is the exception to the rule from what they've told me. From the kids I know, all of them have cognitive issues (ranging from midl to pretty severe) and numerous health issues.

My friend of 35 years has a 3 year old little girl with DS. She had major open heart surgery around 6 months (thy gave her 50/50 of surviving surgery, she's legally blind, 70% deaf, has hypothyroidism and hypotonia and spinal issues due to misshaped bones, as well as digestive issues due to structural issues that have her on a feeding tube for likely the entirety of her life.

The older brother is wonderful with her but they are already worrying about the future and what happens as they (parents) age, sicken and die. They've incurred massive medical debt (do not qualify for medicaid for her) and have to fight the state of Florida tooth and nail for every single service she needs. They've been denied SSDI for her, they've cashed in every bit of savings they have, sold their house and moved in with a set of parents. They're pretty much balls ass broke and more than likely forever will be due to the baby's lifetime needs.

So you go ahead and have the abortion to eliminate it, if the ONLY issue? Downs isn't going away any time soon as a medical issue. Right now, the 'cure' is abortion. It doesn't sound like anyone in Iceland has discovered some amazing lifestyle change or superpill - they just don't have the child.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information