Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Gillette: The Best Men can Be Ad

I don't care for the ad. It kind of strikes me as opportunistic because I can visualize their marketing team brain storming how to capitalize on the current #metoo movement. But I also don't find it offensive in the least.
    Lalasnake and LaFolie like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

At the same time, it’s oddly comforting to know that concepts like 'toxic masculinity' have gone mainstream, and not just that, it's good business to be on the right side of history on the debate surrounding them.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    it's relevant because there is absolutely no justification for charging more for women's stuff than men's. and they all do it - pharmaceuticals, clothing brands, etc.
    i switched to another company altogether that delivers replacement blades in the mail every couple of months and costs a fraction of what the gillette and other major brands do.
    Thanks for that - I'm not sure how that passed me by, but you are right, it is relevant, so hopefully Gillette will make some changes.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    Piers Morgan has been shrieking about this advert. I've read comments on the ad that blow my mind. As Nevan asked, "And to the people that are angry with this ad ... does that mean they’re FOR bullying, sexual harassment, physically fighting, etc.?"

The other complaints have been made by women calling Gillette hypocrites for making this ad while continuing their "pink tax" - charging more for women's razors. While I understand and sympathize with their issue, I'm not sure it is relevant to the discussion. I mean, we could just buy the men's disposables, right?
    I tried the Dollar Shave disposable blades .... I cut myself all up with them and stopped my subscription. I've always used the Venus line from Gillette but they are offensively expensive. They are definitely more than a men's razor blade from Gillette, but when my ex was still around, we'd buy both genders at BJ's and the Venus ones were just slightly more.

it's relevant because there is absolutely no justification for charging more for women's stuff than men's. and they all do it - pharmaceuticals, clothing brands, etc.
    i switched to another company altogether that delivers replacement blades in the mail every couple of months and costs a fraction of what the gillette and other major brands do.
    Totally agree. I have run across three different women's razor blade companies in the last week or two, and the ones that look like Venus blades, not generic men's razor blades. They advertise all over FB.

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    I remember this pink tax thing with razors in particular and just went to look and on US Amazon the pink/blue disposables seem to be the same, 18 razors for $12.94 .. so maybe there is some movement in this regard. I do see the argument that it's something Gillette can do internally to assist in these changes they are calling for in their commercial so I think it's relevant but I do wonder if they have addressed it and are now taking other steps?
    Whoah, I'm not sure which ones you're looking up, but that is VERY cheap. Like I said above, I used to always buy mine (in bulk) from BJ's. The last couple of years I've bought them from Target and they are about $17.50 for four blades.

These are the ones like I have: https://www.target.com/p/venus-extra...t/-/A-16601351

Honestly, sometimes it's cheaper to buy two new whole razor sets (with the handle and the 2 or 3 blades) than it is to buy just the disposable razors.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I've been using six bladed disposables from a discount shop. Three in a packet for £1.00 and they do the job just as well as any of the more expensive brands I've tried. I also tend to buy men's shaving gel because it's cheaper, but only for when Bloke is away from home and I can't ninja his solid shaving soap and brush (it really does give a better shave).
    Mrs P likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

czb

i just buy the men's disposable in a 10+ pack.

the pink tax is just annoying. CA used to ban this for dry cleaners but i think it was repealed. but the dry cleaner we go to doesn't do gender-pricing for shirts and pants. yay
    sputnik and Mrs P like this.

A*O

Me too (geddit?). Just buy men’s disposable razors and shaving foam or oil. They do exactly the same job.
    Mrs P likes this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

I also buy men disposables. Also because I don’t like pink and I’d like commercial teams to realize that women can also like blue and black
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

At the same time, it’s oddly comforting to know that concepts like 'toxic masculinity' have gone mainstream, and not just that, it's good business to be on the right side of history on the debate surrounding them.
    Last year there was an Axe commercial about toxic masculinity.
    I welcome the change, but I think these companies should address that they were a part of the problem before.
    Lalasnake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    Piers Morgan has been shrieking about this advert. I've read comments on the ad that blow my mind. As Nevan asked, "And to the people that are angry with this ad ... does that mean they’re FOR bullying, sexual harassment, physically fighting, etc.?"

The other complaints have been made by women calling Gillette hypocrites for making this ad while continuing their "pink tax" - charging more for women's razors. While I understand and sympathize with their issue, I'm not sure it is relevant to the discussion. I mean, we could just buy the men's disposables, right?
    I hate the color pink. I buy men's razors and men's shaving gel. Saving a dollar here and there means I get to buy better wine. Also I get less razor burn from the mens' as I do the ladie ones.
    czb, A*O, Lalasnake and 1 others like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I would definitely recommend trying old fashioned shaving soap and a good quality shaving brush. I'd never tried it until I moved in with Bloke because I always thought gel did a good enough job but this is even better and (once you've had the initial outlay on a decent brush) its even more economical. We get the Wilkinson's Shave Soap bowl for £2.45 and even with two of us using it it lasts for 6-8 weeks and when its done the plastic tub can go straight into the recycling.
    Mrs P likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information