Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 138
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: A completely random but intriguing thought about people with down-syndrome

  1. #16
    Elite Member Icepik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WitchHazelEyed View Post
    What I find sickening is that you think anything that isn't human is disposable.
    Nice spin on that

    Maybe if you looked it from her point of view you would see what she was actually saying/feeling.
    Clubber Lang likes this.

  2. #17
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    943

    Default

    I think regular people look more like orangutans. Their eyes are round, close together and look alert like a regular human. People with Down Syndrome have folds on the inside of their eyes which make their eyes appear further apart and they slant. In general the upper part of their head looks bigger. An orangutan face looks bigger on the bottem half of their face.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

  3. #18
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    reverse-orangutanism?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  4. #19
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    943

    Default

    lol, yep. Their features don't look alike at all to me.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

  5. #20
    Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    you already know.
    Posts
    44,442

    Default

    people of one race think that people of another race all look the same,
    omg that is sooo true, isn't that funny/interesting?!

  6. #21
    Gold Member WitchHazelEyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Outside of Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    Nice spin on that

    Maybe if you looked it from her point of view you would see what she was actually saying/feeling.
    Oh I understand where she's coming from and while I sympathize I feel she is overreacting to Allie's statements and twisting his words. Much like I did to hers, intentionally.

    I certainly don't think Allie started this post in order to degrade down-syndrome sufferers or denigrate their humanity. It's a simple observation, which apparently isn't allowed because some people want to personalize the situation into something entirely different.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

  7. #22
    SVZ
    SVZ is offline
    Do fish have boogers? SVZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    1,000,003,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    No. The facial features of people with Down's Syndrom are actually directly related to the genetic defect. They're part of the symptoms.
    I realize this, i'm talking more about the "they all look the same" thing

  8. #23
    Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    you already know.
    Posts
    44,442

    Default

    there's another disease where the ppl with it have all the same features as well! I saw it on CNN I think; they lived in Utah the ppl they were interviewing.

  9. #24
    Eli
    Eli is offline
    Hit By Ban Bus! Eli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Grand Canyon
    Posts
    4,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WitchHazelEyed View Post
    Oh I understand where she's coming from and while I sympathize I feel she is overreacting to Allie's statements and twisting his words. Much like I did to hers, intentionally.

    I certainly don't think Allie started this post in order to degrade down-syndrome sufferers or denigrate their humanity. It's a simple observation, which apparently isn't allowed because some people want to personalize the situation into something entirely different.
    Thanks. Yeah I wasn't trying to degrade down-syndrome patients. Why would I? Was an observation I noticed AFTER someone told me, and thought to ask others. There's nothing behind this. There's no "let's make down-syndrome ansd orangutans as one!" thingy going on.
    Naughty easily-offended people for jumping to conclusions. Although, I can't much blame you because the whole world lives on tenter-hooks. And I knew what I was getting myself into when I started the thread.

  10. #25
    Mistress of Dick All Elvira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,965

    Default

    Let’s all start similar threads making comparisons with other medical conditions/disabilities and animals. Just make sure you add that it’s an observation and a friend mentioned it first.
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

  11. #26
    Elite Member Icepik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Thanks. Yeah I wasn't trying to degrade down-syndrome patients. Why would I? Was an observation I noticed AFTER someone told me, and thought to ask others. There's nothing behind this. There's no "let's make down-syndrome ansd orangutans as one!" thingy going on.
    Naughty easily-offended people for jumping to conclusions. Although, I can't much blame you because the whole world lives on tenter-hooks. And I knew what I was getting myself into when I started the thread.
    Easily offended people?

    How about this - since her son and you just made an OBSERVATION: Go up to your friend, Brian's MOM and tell her the conversation her son was having with you, about his brother who has D/S. Tell Brian's Mom that her son said there was a similarity between her son/his brother and an orangutan. Ask her if she sees it, too.

    Come back to the board here and tell us what she thought/felt about it. Do you think she'll laugh it off and says something like "Hey, you know, you and Brian are right!! He does resemble one! Great observation skills on my son, Brian!!".

    I, personally, so not think she will.

  12. #27
    Eli
    Eli is offline
    Hit By Ban Bus! Eli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Grand Canyon
    Posts
    4,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    Easily offended people?

    How about this - since her son and you just made an OBSERVATION: Go up to your friend, Brian's MOM and tell her the conversation her son was having with you, about his brother who has D/S. Tell Brian's Mom that her son said there was a similarity between her son/his brother and an orangutan. Ask her if she sees it, too.

    Come back to the board here and tell us what she thought/felt about it. Do you think she'll laugh it off and says something like "Hey, you know, you and Brian are right!! He does resemble one! Great observation skills on my son, Brian!!".

    I, personally, so not think she will.
    I am not going to do that. For obvious reasons. Although if it did, I'm pretty sure it would go like this:

    Me: "Hey, have you ever noticed that people with down-syndrome share facial similarities with orangutans? Do you think there's something to do with the genes and our evolution from apes in that?"
    Brian's Mum: "Hmmm... yes. Why, what an interesting theory Allie."
    Me: "Oh, I didn't come up with it. Thank Brian."


    Grow up all of you. I knew you idiots would take over my thread. Either look at it from a scientific point of view, or bugger off. There's nothing racist about this thread, unless you make something of it yourself.

  13. #28
    Elite Member Icepik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I am not going to do that. For obvious reasons. Although if it did, I'm pretty sure it would go like this:

    Me: "Hey, have you ever noticed that people with down-syndrome share facial similarities with orangutans? Do you think there's something to do with the genes and our evolution from apes in that?"
    Brian's Mum: "Hmmm... yes. Why, what an interesting theory Allie."
    Me: "Oh, I didn't come up with it. Thank Brian."


    Grow up all of you. I knew you idiots would take over my thread. Either look at it from a scientific point of view, or bugger off. There's nothing racist about this thread, unless you make something of it yourself.
    ...and explain to me, if what you're saying is correct, would you NOT ask her?

  14. #29
    Gold Member WitchHazelEyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Outside of Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    ...and explain to me, if what you're saying is correct, would you NOT ask her?
    You know, I don't know that she would react that calmly, but there is a very good reason that he wouldn't bring the idea up to her... because she's probably sensitive to the issue and would be offended.

    So what? Just because some people find the notion offensive doesn't make it any less valid a theory/idea/thought whatever. I am pro-choice, does that mean I'm going to start an abortion debate with people whom I like and respect but also happen to be vehemently pro-life? No.
    Does that make my opinion wrong? No. (Not that I think theirs is wrong, whatever they are enititled to it.)
    It's simple courtesy.
    Hell, back in the days when the world was flat, if you even suggested the world was round you'd get your ass hanged for heresy. Talk about sensitive. But who was right in the end?

    I am more appalled that people are actually attacking Allie because he expressed and opinion, an observation. He didn't do it rudely or insultingly but people still have to make it personal.

    I mean, How do you get from: "Hmmm... Many people with down-syndrome look somewhat simian" to "OMG, You think people with down-syndrome are disposable" (paraphrased, of course)

    Huh?
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

  15. #30
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    52,006

    Default

    please, if someone was just regular fug, no disease or condition to cause it, their mother would still be offended if you asked her what she thinks about her kid looking like, say, a dog. because ALL mothers think their children are perfect just like they are and don't take to it kindly when others point out their imperfections (or similarities to wild animals). why do people have to get all touchy about it when it's about someone of a non-white race or a kid with down or any other disease? why is it suddenly not just about a similarity, but about putting down someone of another race or a retarded person?
    like others pointed out, people of all races look like monkeys but how come it's only offensive if the person you say looks like a monkey is black?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Toxic wife syndrome
    By twitchy in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: March 26th, 2007, 11:14 PM
  2. Mel Gibson Hollywood's LEAST INTRIGUING PERSON
    By Sojiita in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: November 18th, 2006, 10:40 AM
  3. Govt. report: There is no Gulf War syndrome
    By AliceInWonderland in forum News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 13th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •