Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Companies brace for end of cheap made-in-China era

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^ I thought Germany was.

what are we exporting? No one has a job so what the heck are we making?
    I sew, my material comes from china. I do scrabbooking my crap comes from China. I buy toys for my grandtots and it all comes from China. All my crap stuff comes from China.

^ Semiconductors, industrial machines, wheat, airplanes, drugs, electrical equipment, natural gas, medical equipment.

Just not things usually used by comsumers.

The US is the largest manufacturer, followed by China, Japan, Germany.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Walmart - High Cost of Low Prices
    I dont think I can plug this movie enough. I saw this and thats more than enough, IMHO, to have an idea as to how badly the Chinese are treated.

Speaking of recalls Im not entirely sure but I seem to remember going to McDonalds recently and seeing that they are recalling the recently released Shrek cups. Theres two things I wonder though. First off, do these companies still make a profit with all these recalls? And second, how will this affect Americans? More jobs with horrible wages and no benefits? I see enough of those as it is, despite it being a recession and jobs being hard to come by some companies still cant keep people in there and have a revolving door. That says something about the company not the employees and sadly I dont see this ever changing.

Zee

re- low prices Use the same approach to visiting the dollar stores. The mass merchandisers, Walmart, Target, etc are not the only retailers that are heavily stocked by Chinese made merchandise. Best part is that the Chinese don't want to buy things made in China- it's junk in their opinions.

US also exports agricultural products- you can find all sorts of statistics at bls.gov
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^ Semiconductors, industrial machines, wheat, airplanes, drugs, electrical equipment, natural gas, medical equipment.

Just not things usually used by comsumers.

The US is the largest manufacturer, followed by China, Japan, Germany.
    didn't we just have problems with a airplane engine made in China recently? I know other countries are renting our land to grow things such as rice and cranberries (saw that on a TV special ) Thanks for the info I really didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    Walmart - High Cost of Low Prices
    I dont think I can plug this movie enough. I saw this and thats more than enough, IMHO, to have an idea as to how badly the Chinese are treated.

Speaking of recalls Im not entirely sure but I seem to remember going to McDonalds recently and seeing that they are recalling the recently released Shrek cups. Theres two things I wonder though. First off, do these companies still make a profit with all these recalls? And second, how will this affect Americans? More jobs with horrible wages and no benefits? I see enough of those as it is, despite it being a recession and jobs being hard to come by some companies still cant keep people in there and have a revolving door. That says something about the company not the employees and sadly I dont see this ever changing.
    Our problems are not benefits it's labor unions - they have all but bankrupted New Jersey. I tell you as a person without medical insurance it is a must in the country. They do not give people a break without insurance they charge us twice as much. First time in my life I've ever been on the other side of the fence and the grass don't grow over here.

McDonalds didn't want to recall the Shrek glasses, said it would hurt them but again it had lead in the paint so they had to do the recall.

I try very very hard not to buy anything from China. However again I bought material from Hobby Lobby and it was made in China. arg

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    re- low prices Use the same approach to visiting the dollar stores. The mass merchandisers, Walmart, Target, etc are not the only retailers that are heavily stocked by Chinese made merchandise. Best part is that the Chinese don't want to buy things made in China- it's junk in their opinions.

US also exports agricultural products- you can find all sorts of statistics at bls.gov
    We have never been Walmart people, they put the Mom and Pop stores out of business however...... at Bed Bath and Beyond they sold a crock pot for a hundred dollars, we went across the street to Walmart and bought the same exact one for 45 dollars. Wadda ya gonna do? I want to support my own country. I am sorry there are people in China being treated badly but it's not like we didn't know this - they've been dumping female babies so long now they don't have any females for the sons to marry (ha take that you bastards) but something has got to change here, our middle class is shrinking and they are the ones paying the taxes and supporting the poor and the rich.

sorry if I got off topic.. my post turned into a rant

Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    Speaking of recalls Im not entirely sure but I seem to remember going to McDonalds recently and seeing that they are recalling the recently released Shrek cups.
    They are recalling them. Cadmium in the paint, they were made in the US by a subsidiary of a French company.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

That's horrible. I wanted to buy them but never got around to it. Maybe they should've just stuck to glass like with those old Flinstones mugs and glasses from when the movie came out.

Default Burn!

Ha!
    Even as a little kid my dad would not allow us to buy anything made there: "They treat their people horribly. If it is from China you have to return it."

I hope China goes down and takes Walmart with it. I buy local. I buy less. I try to buy from Central and South America if it is not made in the US or Europe. Its tough. I spend so much time reading labels.

I ask my pharmacist where my medication is made and if it is China I go to another pharmacy- Remember the "double coated digoxin". We had patients toxic with it. From China of course.

Buying cheap here in the US pushed out the jobs. They will never really come back.

Just my rant.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    The issue in question isn't China's middle class, but the working class/poor. And it's the working class/poor that aren't getting the benefits of China's economy, which is why they're demanding higher wages. And if they were okay with the low wages and unsafe working conditions, they wouldn't be demanding a change.

People in America have this idea that the working poor in other countries are like the working poor in America. If you talk to people from those countries who lived and worked under those conditions it's an eye-opening experience.
    Here's what I'm saying, though. Relocation of factories to China has not been a bad thing for China -- it's been a good thing. They have been able to industrialize with the investment of foreign companies. To be sure, to the extent that there is a level of manufacturing worker who works their ass off and doesn't see their life improve much, that is a problem. However, people in China are voting on their conditions with their feet -- they leave rural villages in droves to go work in factories because the chance for a better lifestyle is much better. And a lot of these people save their dollars to invest or start their own businesses.

The industrial revolution was not a "net" bad thing for America, even though lots of people suffered unsafe working conditions. Eventually, they collectivized and petitioned and struck for better working conditions, just as the Chinese are now doing. The fact that there truly aren't better a lot of better alternatives for manufacturers means that they do have to give in to an extent and improve both pay and conditions for Chinese workers.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Yes it is hard to believe sometimes that we are still the number one manufacturing nation in the World.
    That's not right. Inside this country, we manufacture practically nothing. Yes, we have the largest number of manufacturers (companies), but their products are largely made in China.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    ^^ I thought Germany was.
    Germany was the highest exporting nation until this last year. China surpassed them but are spiraling down again. We'll see about next year.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Here's what I'm saying, though. Relocation of factories to China has not been a bad thing for China -- it's been a good thing.
    Unfortunately, it's been a horrible thing for the environment. China has none of the environmental controls of the West. Something like 80% of the lead in the air over Canada comes from Chinese factories.

BTW, make sure you know where your garlic comes from. China, which now controls the garlic market, grows it in the run off valleys from toxic plastic and metal factories. Their garlic is toxic as hell, and the processed food market in the US is full of it.
    Last edited by Tati; July 14th, 2010 at 09:52 AM.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

There is a difference between manufacturing and exporting. The US is still ranked first in manufacturing, while we rank third in exports, behind Germany and China.

In terms of actual factory production we are still first, China will shortly surpass us.

Which Countries Export the Most?

China close to catching U.S. in manufacturing
    China factories close to catching U.S. manufacturing output - Jun. 21, 2010

The US remained the world’s biggest manufacturing nation by output last year, but is poised to relinquish this slot in 2011 to China – thus ending a 110-year run as the number one country in factory production.

The figures are revealed in a league table being published on Monday by IHS Global Insight, a US-based economics consultancy.

China is set to become the world's biggest manufacturer next year

Last year, the US created 19.9 per cent of world manufacturing output, compared with 18.6 per cent for China, with the US staying ahead despite a steep fall in factory production due to the global recession.

That the US is still top comes as a surprise, since in 2008 – before the slump of the past two years took hold – IHS predicted it would lose pole position in 2009.

However, a relatively resilient US performance kept China in second place, says IHS, which predicts that faster growth in China will deny the US the top spot next year.

The US became the world’s biggest manufacturer in the late 1890s, edging the then-incumbent – Britain – into the number two position.

Hal Sirkin, head of the global operations practice at Chicago-based Boston Consulting Group, said the US should not despair too much at the likelihood that it would lose the global crown in manufacturing to China.

“If you have a country with four times the population of the US and a tenth of the wages, it is fairly obvious they will pull ahead at some time in productive capabilities,“ he said.

Last year, according to IHS, goods output by the US totalled $1,717bn, ahead of China at $1,608bn.

However in 2011, on the basis of IHS’s estimates, China’s factory output will come to $1,870bn, a fraction ahead of the projected US figure for the year.

If China does become the world’s biggest manufacturer, it will be a return to the top slot for a nation which – according to economic historians – was the world’s leading country for goods production for more than 1,500 years up until the 1850s, when Britain took over for a brief spell, mainly due to the impetus of the industrial revolution.

The IHS figures are worked out on the basis of current-year output numbers, translated into dollars, with no adjustments for inflation. If the figures are calculated in inflation-adjusted, constant price terms, then I HS believes that the US will keep its top role in manufacturing for a little longer.

On an inflation-adjusted basis, which is based on a forecast that US inflation will be lower than that in China over the next few years, China is forecast to take over the number one position in manufacturing in 2013-14.

According to the IHS numbers, world manufacturing output last year came to $8,638bn (€6,979bn, 5,825bn) or 16.7 per cent of global gross domestic product.

FT.com / China - US manufacturing crown slips

There are many things manufactured in the US, goods that the average person never encounters, much US manufacturing is done in highly sophisticated industry which doesn't create large amounts of factory jobs. They use robots, automated systems, etc.

US Manufacturing Export Orders Hit 20 Year High
    http://www.csmonitor.com/Money/new-e...t-20-year-high
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; July 13th, 2010 at 07:00 PM.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    There is a difference between manufacturing and exporting. The US is still ranked first in manufacturing, while we rank third in exports, behind Germany and China.

In terms of actual factory production we are still first, China will shortly surpass us.
    Yes exactly. Our manufacturing isn't done in the USA, though. So it's a tricky statistic. Yes, our companies manufacture products but very little inside the USA and exported from here. So they aren't making jobs for US citizens, nor are they bringing the profits back to the US to buy goods here.

All those Microsoft and Apple products are made in China and Indonesia, not here.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Lots of manufacturing is done in the USA. However, because of globalization and very complex supply chain management, it is very difficult to trace the path of how much of a product is U.S. made vs. foreign made.

And it's been said a few times in the thread- Most of what is produced in US factories would never be encountered by the average consumer.

Industrial engines, machinery, natural gas, armaments, chemical fertilizers, pharmacueticals, etc. We export enormous amount of agricultural products, wheat, food, etc. And oddly, we export enormous amounts of fuels like crude oil, gasoline, coal, diesel, jet fuel, etc.

There is still much that is produced in US factories, just not things you buy at the mall.

ewww.. no more shopping at cheap grocery stores with imported chinese everything.

Local produce only if i can help it
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information