Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clint Eastwood attacks Japan war myths

Default Re: Clint Eastwood attacks Japan war myths

[quote]To the end of her life she despised ALL Japanese. When her son (my uncle) dated a very nice Japanese girl about whom he was getting serious, she made it clear that she would never give her blessing if they were to marry. (He broke up with the girl)[/quote

That's idiotic, it really is. Happiness ruined because someone could not let go of the past.

Grandma should have sought some kind of therapy rather than ruin someone elses life.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

[QUOTE=Grimmlok]
    To the end of her life she despised ALL Japanese. When her son (my uncle) dated a very nice Japanese girl about whom he was getting serious, she made it clear that she would never give her blessing if they were to marry. (He broke up with the girl)[/quote

That's idiotic, it really is. Happiness ruined because someone could not let go of the past.

Grandma should have sought some kind of therapy rather than ruin someone elses life.
    ^Spoken as someone who hasn't suffered war crimes like torture, rape, and near starvation first hand.

Unlike what the Oprah's and Dr. Phil's of the world try to make the people believe, "forgiving" before being able to move on, and not even all therapies can mend the terrible wounds suffered for years during a war.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I'm not belittling what she went through, but what gives her the right, 50 years later, to use racism or xenophobia as diktat for someone elses life?

Did that nice girl committ any crimes? Should she have been hated merely for her race?

It's still idiotic.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    I'm not belittling what she went through, but what gives her the right, 50 years later, to use racism or xenophobia as diktat for someone elses life?

Did that nice girl committ any crimes? Should she have been hated merely for her race?

It's still idiotic.
    This is what got to me>
    I know, I know, it always looks different when typed than when you actually hear someone say it, but it came across as if it should be an easy thing for grandma to "just let go" of her (horrible) past. It unfortunately just doesn't work that way. The memory works in mysterious ways. It might be grandma's biggest wish to be able to let go, but her mind might not let her.

***** celeb

Well, let go or at least come to terms with it enough not to do what she did, probably with the help of some deep deep psychotherapy

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Well, let go or at least come to terms with it enough not to do what she did, probably with the help of some deep deep psychotherapy

I repeat>
    Unlike what the Oprah's and Dr. Phil's of the world try to make the people believe, "forgiving" before being able to move on, and not even all therapies can mend the terrible wounds suffered for years during a war.

***** celeb

Thing is, did she try?

I don't think grimm is saying just forget it..hell no..it shouldn't be fogotten...but I am sure it was very difficult to get over it, and I respect that...but I hope it did not stop her from being happy..and living her life.
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters
    I don't think grimm is saying just forget it..hell no..it shouldn't be fogotten...but I am sure it was very difficult to get over it, and I respect that...but I hope it did not stop her from being happy..and living her life.

Well, she apparently got married and had children, as did my parents and other relatives. So they did move on and had happy areas in their lives, but some experiences are so awful they cannot be forgotten or cleansed through therapy, whether the person who has lived them wants to or not......

***** celeb

but I am sure it was very difficult to get over it, and I respect that...but I hope it did not stop her from being happy..and living her life.
    She did go on to live a happy life *considering.*

Perhaps I originally misrepresented things here. It's not that she was a bigot, racist or hated my uncle's "nice Japanese girlfriend" - in fact, I don't know if she did or did not forgive the Japanese, etc. I do remember that the relationship caused much deep-rooted pain for her. And it hurt my uncle to see his mother hurt like that.

She never demanded that he break up with his girlfriend - she wasn't that kind of person. I guess it was the decision my uncle made at that time, he was young - he chose to forego this relationship out of respect for the one he had with his mother, which meant more to him. It'd be unfair to speculate if he "gave up" any happiness. All I know is he's been happily married now to another woman.

Anyway, I'll never really know the full truth about a lot of things about her. For one thing, she passed away about 20 years ago. Whether or not she ever "forgave" the Japanese for what happened to her is a moot point now. It just appeared to me that way at the time (I was young and judgemental) that she was being "stubborn."

I do remember her as a nurse who took care of cancer and chronic disease patients all her life, before and after the war. She even went on to get her law degree. She was a working mother of three young children when WW2 started. Her husband - a guerilla in the resistance - had to go into hiding. So all the men were gone when the Japanese came into the village. All who were left were old, very young and female.

She did survive, and she emigrated to Canada with her surviving six children (3 died in infancy or were stillborn). She and the family did live a life of goodness and all I ever knew from her was the power of love, generosity and forgiveness.

There's a lot more to this, but it's a long story and remembering her is hard for me. I miss her so much, you know?

One thing I appreciate here in this forum are those of you who have not been quick to judge without having all the facts or weigh in on how other people ought to handle their personal pain unless asked. To suggest that a victim of "rape as a weapon of war" (a distinctly brutal method that scars a national psyche) should be able to "let it go" is rather "problematic" to understand.

The reason I started this thread in the first place is partly self-therapeutic. I am looking forward to more balanced depictions of war, especially WW2 Pacific. As a former combat veteran, I believe my grandmother's life made its mark in a way that allowed me to serve honorably. I like to think that I am the part of her that is able to move forward in spirit.

Thank you.
    Claude os, aperi oculos!

For most of us, our lives have been untouched by war. Our family members who were involved in WWII have for the most part passed on. Most of us have no real idea what happened in that war, just the images we get from Hollywood. I love a really good war movie. Private Ryan, Schindler's List, The Pianist, Enemy at the Gates and We Were Soldiers are just some of the few more realistic movies that give us a hint at the real atrocities that happened. Some of the events were just so horrific that no amount of professional help is going to cure you. One of my favorite all time movies is "Sophie's Choice" The psychological damage that the war caused Meryl Streep still makes me think about what I would do in her place. I know there must have been literally thousands of "Sophie's" out there...

HWBL, I know your Grandma could relate. I am glad that she recovered enough to have a family and a happy life in spite of what happened to her.

I am on a WWI & II reading kick right now, the best book that everyone should read on that subject for a good overview is here Seriously good!

Now I am on Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's "August 1914"

Anyone who has an interest in the World Wars should read both of these.

Lovely Bones, excellent topic, and I hope the comments help you heal.
    Vegetarian - Old Indian word for "Bad Hunter"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information