Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Opposition Leader Jack Layton dead at 61

I'd be that much of a cunt too if i got MY hair cut like hers
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^^
    true. it looks like a mediaeval monk attacked her with a pair of pruning shears.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    You should all read the bitchy cunt laced bitchery the right wing rag The National Post wrote.

People spontaneously showed up at city hall to write farewell notes in chalk over the cement walkways and ramps that surround it today, it was quite moving. Of course, this cunt says it's a "spectacle".
    Fuck, I didn't even have to read to the end of that to suspect it was by Christie Blatchford. Her basically implying that Layton was a famewhore is sure a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Screw her and screw the National Post.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

This news really brought me down today. I think the bad feeling I got when I saw how gaunt he was brought home some family I lost that had the same look to them shortly before they died, and about the same age.

totally teared up reading his letter. I don't care what others may say in a fit of assholeness, the fact he dictated a letter like that less than 48 hrs before he died is amazing and his words were inspiring.

You should all read the bitchy cunt laced bitchery the right wing rag The National Post wrote.

People spontaneously showed up at city hall to write farewell notes in chalk over the cement walkways and ramps that surround it today, it was quite moving. Of course, this cunt says it's a "spectacle".
    Wow, that bitch is so courageous. Attacking a dead guy, who's barely cold. Describing his appearance as "cadaverous", really? She couldn't find an even harsher, more hurtful, more graphic word?

The only thing I somewhat agree with is the displays of mourning for celebrities, how they've become a standard since Diana. Even then you could see that some people mostly did it in hopes to turn up on the evening news.

But to attack a freshly deceased person like this is beyond insensitive and tasteless.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

This Hour Has 22 Minutes put together a few of their clips with Jack and posted it on their Facebook page:

Favourite Moments with Jack

I've never heard of Jack Layton before but reading his letter really touched me. He said the things I wish a poilitican in the US would say and do. He was all about coming together as a society and doing what's right for that society as a whole, of taking care of each other. His was a positive, inspriational message, one that I can't imagine hearing in the US these days from anyone.

^ And the thing is, he sounded just the same when he was right in the thick of the issues; he was truly positive and optimistic in life and in his work, not just in the face of illness. I think it was just about a month or so ago that hubby and I were talking about how Jack was just so different from Harper and from the ugly politics we often see in the US - he was positive and energetic and actually fun. He went to university campuses and had beers with us (me ). Most of my friends and I actually knew him, and we're in a smallish Northern town...? Think how much of an effort he must have been making to really get out there and talk to people.

He was feisty, of course, but he cared about the issues and the people, not just about getting his way or pulling one over on the populace. Of course I'm a hardcore NDP-er, but I really feel this is just a huge loss for the entire Canadian political landscape.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9us099TL50[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by Tati; August 23rd, 2011 at 06:02 PM.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

State funeral will be aired on Global this Saturday (Aug. 27) at 1:00pm EST.

Default r.i.p Jack

Canada truly lost a good man & politician. His farewell letter was inspiring & thoughtful, just what I'd expect from this fine man.
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

I love that the one theme I see running through comments everywhere about him (not just on GR) is that he was a great example of what a politician can be - decent, committed, caring, etc. It seems like so many people are saying that even if they didn't agree with his political views, they can agree that he was a good man, a good politician, set a good example for Canada, and that it's a loss to our political landscape. I think that's a testament to him, that he could have so many people across the spectrum agreeing on that.

(aside from Christie Freaking Blatchford, of course, who's our own Anne Coulter and will say anything to get attention).
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

I agree 100% with Sialia. I have never been an NDP supporter but I always respected him. I was happy for him that he achieved historical success so it's very disappointing that he didn't live long enough to show us what he could really do in there - I think he could have really given the other parties a run for their money and if anyone could have brought NDP to the top it was him.

So sad that he was cut down in his prime.

The best Prime Minister the country never had.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I've been off for a while. I'm from Quebec and I voted NDP for the first time because of Jack. I'm heartbroken. Thank you Jack. There are no words to say how I feel.

His letter read:

Jack Layton's letter - YouTube

Silver Member

As I said on my Facebook page, what a mean-spirited little woman.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information