Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canadian mother gets $336,000 bill for one week in U.S. hospital

Healthcare in Canada is extremely expensive as well. It's just that for Canadians, the government pays for it. If a person with no insurance came to Canada and needed treatment, the costs would be just as astronomical for them. I am exposed to the ins and outs of Canadian healthcare all the time, and I believe the current cost for a regular, uncomplicated birth in Canada is $30,000. Throw in a C-section or baby issues, and it starts climbing very quickly.

What I don't understand is how the hell people in the states even pay for their insurance! Isn't it usually several hundred dollars a month?

Uh, the gov doesnt pay for it.. WE pay for it with taxes. A lot of them.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

And even though we pay for it, there is no way a low income family has to pay $30,000.00 worth of taxes in order to have a birth.

Well, in the U.S. there are so many people who can't pay for the medical care they receive, that everyone is billed extra to make up for it. Hence being billed $5 just for a single aspirin.

I've heard of some people who pay hundreds of dollars per month for medical insurance in the U.S. and still can't go to the doctor or get tests and whatnot because they can't afford the co-payments

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Guylaine Lefebvre, president of the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada, said the issue illustrates an important distinction between the two countries: "The U.S. has a system where they can absorb our extra volume. In Canada, extra patients cost money. In the United States, extra patients bring in money."
    I'm assuming to get this position this person would have had to attend school at some point? Canada still has to pay the medical bills of patients they send to the U.S. so where are they saving money??

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

What we spend in Iraq could pay for 325 million to have health care. See America has it's priorities straight.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information