Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Canada's Government about to fall? (not that anyone cares)

1) Harper is a Bushite. He's less evil than conservatives in the US but that's because Canadians won't put up with that kind of shit,.. yet, he still tries. He pushes and pushes and tries to do identical things, just in smaller ways. He's always trying to remake anada into a little US. He tabled a bullshit budget and called the opposition's bluff, the opposition took him up on it, and engaged in perfectly legal governmental recourse. Just because it hasn't been used in 80 years doesn't mean this check and balance isn't appropriate.

Still, if you want to argue, a coalition of the other 3 parties make up more of a voting block than Harper got.

2) The Bloc only agreed to support a coalition, not exactly BE in it. Like the BLoc will ever get anything

3) I trust the Liberals and NDP over some conservative retard any day of the week. One is middle of the road (and the Libs never bankrupted the country, unlike Mulroney, or Harris (in Ontario), and how Harper is currently running things) and the other is left of center. That's a fine coalition in my books. The Bloc will never, EVER gain national ascendancy.. it's a Quebec pipe dream so you can relax about that. The most they have been and will ever be is the Opposition.

4) The mechanisms for government are exactly why we're in this situation. That's why they were put in place. It has nothing to do with "who voted for what", it has to do with checks and balances. If running a country was just a popularity contest (see US), then you'd get all the bullshit that came with it. Frankly, I'm glad we don't have that system cuz really, look what happens when you get someone of Harper's type in the seat of power with NO restrictions. You get Bush.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

I tend to agree that a coalition government is not a bad thing at this point. And yes, the Bloc have only agreed to support the NDP/Lib coalition, not be in it. I couldn't vote for Harper in the last election, and i couldn't vote for the insipidness of Dion so i voted NDP. Sure, we will still have to deal with Dion for a time (until they replace him as leader) but i like the combination of NDP and Liberals. I do think they will keep each other in balance. It's a very interesting situation. I think Harper let his power trip affect his decisions and he was called on his bluff. If that's your game, be prepared to reap the consequences. In any case, it's a little excitement in our politics--for once!
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

What are you guys doing up there? You gotta step in and save Canada because a lot of us down here are counting on going up there when flames start licking at our doors!!

Oh calm down, this still is still well in control. Everything is proceeding in a calm, orderly and Canadian fashion, and making a fuss is just tacky

(interesting how all the Americans are losing it, but all the canadians are merely calmly watching it unfold)
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

We've been under BUSH for the past 8 years and he still has a month and a half to shock and awe us with a last fizzle of greed and glory. Hell yes I'm losing it!

Oh calm down, this still is still well in control. Everything is proceeding in a calm, orderly and Canadian fashion, and making a fuss is just tacky

(interesting how all the Americans are losing it, but all the canadians are merely calmly watching it unfold)
    ^ Indeed! Provisions for this are built right into our constitution, it's the reason we have Confidence motions - so that, at times, MPs can actually express that they don't have confidence in the government.

There are a few things that can happen now: Harper can submit a request to the Governor General to prorogue the House for the time being, killing all outstanding bills including the Confidence motion - this would be stupid as it would mean Parliament could do literally nothing until a new sitting of Parliament, so he wouldn't be able to address the recession in any way; the Governor General can dissolve Parliament and call a new election - unlikely since we just had one and the GG's role is ultimately to maintain the sanctity of Parliament, not to politicize or pander to public opinion; or the GG can dissolve Parliament and ask the opposition parties to form a coalition government. If she believes they can reasonably do this, it's in her job description to ask them to, though chances are the coalition wouldn't last that long and we'd be back to the polls before too long anyway.

In any case, it's all pretty interesting, but not especially grave. The unfortunate part, in my opinion, is that the Liberal leadership is up in the air - Dion wasn't wanted by the public and is likely to be replaced as party leader, but that probably won't happen before the coalition takes effect, so it will diminish coalition credibility (what there is/will be of it) somewhat to switch leaders so soon. Jack's my man, so I have no problem seeing him and the NDP in there whatsoever. It would be very interesting to see a mixed Cabinet - if the coalition takes effect and actually holds, we may see a lot of bipartisanship and cooperation across party lines.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Nothing we have up here compares to Bush and his clan. Even our most evil politician is milquetoast next to your Republicans.

If any of the crazy shit that had been said during your election was tried up here, those people would be run out on rails so fast their heads would spin.

Harper can submit a request to the Governor General to prorogue the House for the time being, killing all outstanding bills including the Confidence motion - this would be stupid as it would mean Parliament could do literally nothing until a new sitting of Parliament, so he wouldn't be able to address the recession in any way
    That's exactly what he's going to do, according to the papers. He does't give a fuck about the economy or anything else, he just wants to stay in power. He's already running election attack ads on TV for gods sake. He's only concerned with himself, stupid conservative shitbag.

The GG better let that coalition form.. if she caves to Harper i'll be pissed. There's a viable alternative ready to go.

Hahaha, well when it says a government is about to FALL, it sounds kinda scary.

Well yes.. fall in the sense that the governing party can no longer govern, and so a new election or some other legal activity starts.

Doesn't mean all of Parliament caught fire and there's anarchy in the streets

Hit By Ban Bus!

It will be interesting to see what the Governor General does.

I don't think Dion is all that terrible. He's a highly intelligent man, a policy wonk, and he has principles -- something Layton and Harper do not. He should never have been leader of the Liberals -- that was a punitive move simply to keep Ignatieff out --but he's not the doofus people make him out to be.

He's not telegenic, and he has trouble with English, but so did Chretien and he lasted a long time. I hope Dion will eventually find a good place to use his considerable talents.

What's wrong with Layton? He seems to have very strong principles.. I mean god, he sticks by them election after election and never wins

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Harper is addressing the nation at 4pm PST today. Hmmmm.

And i've said it before, but Jack Layton is sex on a stick .
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    What's wrong with Layton? He seems to have very strong principles.. I mean god, he sticks by them election after election and never wins
    Plus he's teh secks.

eta: hehe, t13 had the same idea!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

He looks like Lenin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information