Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Burka ban would be 'un-British'‎

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    They should. I do believe it's an isolated phenomenon, though. In the last few years Christians have really ramped up their anti-Muslim propoganda, so I've learned not to trust that many articles in which Christians are persecuted by Muslims. Could I be wrong? Of course. But things get really muddied when one religion makes accusations of another, it's never fairly represented and it's almost always based in untruths and biased. I have seen Christians take isolated incidents and run with them to make it seem like Christians are being persecuted worldwide for their beliefs and usually they point the finger at other religions. It doesn't mean that those isolated incidents are okay by any stretch of the imagination, I'm just not (necessarily) buying it. Every religious group nowadays seems to want to cry about how badly persecuted they are.
    Okay, by that reasoning, there was probably no religious persecution of Muslims by Serbs in Srebenica or anywhere in the Balkans. Fair enough.

On the other side, women who do wear it everytime they go out must have really beautiful skin. They don't have to worry about hair or make up. I can see how that would be heady.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    yeah, I see it as dehumanizing too. *sigh*.
    That's because it is dehumanizing. I'm still stuck on the fact that someone would willfully choose it for themselves, that's why I didn't want her to leave so we could get more answers. I'm not sure I'm buying her excuse. I am wondering if there are women with massive self-esteem issues who exercise their right to wear the niqab and blame things like the "objectification of women in the west" as their reasoning to do so. Perhaps she wanted to cover herself up because she didn't perceive herself as attractive. I wish I could probe her brain.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    It bothers me when I see very young Hasidic girls, with long skirts and arms covered in the summer. It seems so unfair that even as a kid you're forced to obey these arcane things.
    I remember when I was a kid and first heard about 7th-day Adventists and how they had to stay inside all day on Saturdays, which was the longest, most unstructured day for play in my youth. To be inside all day just sounded worse than death.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I've always thought the same about ultra orthodox jewish women. Covered up, wigs, stockings, long sleeves. They have to be dying in the hot weather.

It bothers me when I see very young Hasidic girls, with long skirts and arms covered in the summer. It seems so unfair that even as a kid you're forced to obey these arcane things.
    Yeah, another thing that bothers me is to see very young girls wearing the hijab! What the fuck is that about? I understand that some women choose to wear it, but kids that age don't have a choice and they shouldn't have to protect their modesty anyways. Shit like that makes me angry.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Sumaya View Post
    Anyways salam (which means peace). I will no longer frequent this forum. It's been a nice discussion.
    Bye
    Don't get your burka caught on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    On the other side, women who do wear it everytime they go out must have really beautiful skin.
    yeah, and rickets from generating no Vitamin D
    Last edited by Tati; July 20th, 2010 at 07:23 PM.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

What are most burkas made out of anyway? I

know that back in the 1800's and such with all of that cloth and full length skirts that there was a tendency for women to occasionally accidentally catch their clothing on fire and immolate themselves.

^ I hope cotton. I can't imaging the heat trapped in there if it was a synthetic fabric.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

You know for those days where you just don't feel like getting dressed - a burka might come in handy. Just throw it on and go. It could be quite liberating.

sumaya, the problem isn't that the muslim world stopped practising islam the 'right' way. the fact is that, just like christianity, there will always be people who practise it the wrong way - by taking the holy texts literally and by not separating religion from government. that is why the problem isn't whether or not you're practising the religion in the right way, it's that in islam government and religion aren't separate. there was never a muslim equivalent of the enlightenment. if you follow islam you can't ever evolve past a certain point because you start not being in compliance with the religion anymore.

and that golden age you speak of when the muslim world was far more advanced than the rest of the world, it's not because you were doing it right, it's because islam is 600 years younger than christian europe. you are having your dark ages right now. and you're having it for the same reasons the christian world did: the empire fell (rome) so there was no central force controlling everything and europe became a dark world ruled by kings and the church. and it wasn't until they kicked the church in the ass and humanism began and they began separating church and state that they crawled out of the dark ages. in the muslim world, the empire that fell is the ottoman empire, which led to a fractioning of the muslim world and a retreat into fundamentalism, obscurantism, and backwardness. the only way you will crawl out of it is if you kick religion in the ass and put it back where it belongs: the private sphere, at home, in people's minds and churches. not in politics, government, education.

at least that's the way i see it. in broad, very general terms, i'm not claiming to summarise the past millenium in a single paragraph but that's how i see it, in a nutshell.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    yeah, and rickets from generating no Vitamin D
    They probably sunbathe starkers on their roof!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Fascinating thread.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Welcome to the board and by the way, you're full of shit.

I am late to the party but thought this was such a great and funny welcome to GR world.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Fascinating thread.
    Agree. Good to hear both points of view. But I'll never understand any reason for putting women in those hideous sacks. It's dehumanizing.

I HATE the burka and everything it represents. Not only is it oppressing the women who wear it, but to me it sends a message that uncovered women are inferior (read: sluts). Having said that, it's none of my business if a woman wears it or not, and I would never condone any government telling a woman she can't wear it. I don't know the reasons in every single case, whether it's forced on the women or if it's their own (misguided) choice. But banning the burka will only force those women to stay indoors, and would limit any communication with the outside world, so their chances of exposure to different opinions would be completely cut off. If I don't like it, that's my problem - so long as I'm not forced to wear it I can't see that it's any of my business.

I kind of understand what Sumaya means about her identity. A former colleague started wearing a headscarf and conservative clothing in her late 30s (with no pressure from her husband who was third generation Aussie and not nearly as religious as her) and she explained that she felt as though she could finally be judged by the person she was, rather than how she looked.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information