Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 95

Thread: Burka ban would be 'un-British'‎

  1. #61
    Elite Member january's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,255

    Default

    So, it's mostly a political statement because the west objectifies women, so you choose to cover up to make a point? Do you feel restricted at all? I would ultimately be incredibly depressed if I couldn't show my face, so I'm wondering if it's affected your sense of self-worth or how happy you are? I'm assuming that you've made a commitment to wear the niqab throughout the rest of your life?

    I understand your reasoning even if (to me) it doesn't make sense. Couldn't you just choose to wear conservative clothing? I'm not sure what your face has to do with in terms of objectification, usually it's the body that is objectified. Surely you could have chosen to just wear looser clothes or the like? Thanks again, I find this fascinating.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

  2. #62
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    Bleh.

    In my dream world, religious people would have chips implanted in their brains that blew up the second they went fundie.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  3. #63
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    26,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I also think that Christians here in the U.S. (and evidently Canada) love to talk about the persecution of Christians and what better way than to say how Egypt oppresses all the Christians there than to make people cry over the poor plight of the Christians and the big bad Muslims. Articles like this aren't surprising.
    When someone is being physically attacked or their homes are being destroyed because of their religion, why shouldn't they talk about it? It's not like it's some false or isolated phenomenon.

    In defense of the burqa ban - Broadsheet - Salon.com

    Mona Eltahawy, an Egyptian-born journalist

    I support banning the burqa because I believe it equates piety with the disappearance of women. The closer you are to God, the less I see of you -- and I find that idea extremely dangerous. It comes from an ideology that basically wants to hide women away. What really strikes me is that a lot of people say that they support a woman's right to choose to wear a burqa because it's her natural right. But I often tell them that what they're doing is supporting an ideology that does not believe in a woman's right to do anything. We're talking about women who cannot travel alone, cannot drive, cannot even go into a hospital without a man with them. And yet there is basically one right that we are fighting for these women to have, and that is the right to cover their faces. To tell you the truth, I'm really outraged that people get into these huge fights and say that as a feminist you must support a women's right to do this, because it's basically the only kind of "right" that this ideology wants to give women. Otherwise they get nothing.
    Last edited by Tati; July 20th, 2010 at 07:21 PM.

  4. #64
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    So, it's mostly a political statement because the west objectifies women, so you choose to cover up to make a point? Do you feel restricted at all? I would ultimately be incredibly depressed if I couldn't show my face, so I'm wondering if it's affected your sense of self-worth or how happy you are? I'm assuming that you've made a commitment to wear the niqab throughout the rest of your life?
    I think i'm happy for the most part. I do have my days but it has nothing to do with the niqab. I honestly feel free wearing it

    I understand your reasoning even if (to me) it doesn't make sense. Couldn't you just choose to wear conservative clothing? I'm not sure what your face has to do with in terms of objectification, usually it's the body that is objectified. Surely you could have chosen to just wear looser clothes or the like? Thanks again, I find this fascinating.
    I do just wear conservative clothing I just add the niqab that I tie at the back with it. It may be seen as taken away the identity but I believe it gives me my identity.

  5. #65
    Elite Member january's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    When someone is being physically attacked or their homes are being destroyed because of their religion, why shouldn't they talk about it? It's not like it's some false or isolated phenomenon.
    They should. I do believe it's an isolated phenomenon, though. In the last few years Christians have really ramped up their anti-Muslim propoganda, so I've learned not to trust that many articles in which Christians are persecuted by Muslims. Could I be wrong? Of course. But things get really muddied when one religion makes accusations of another, it's never fairly represented and it's almost always based in untruths and biased. I have seen Christians take isolated incidents and run with them to make it seem like Christians are being persecuted worldwide for their beliefs and usually they point the finger at other religions. It doesn't mean that those isolated incidents are okay by any stretch of the imagination, I'm just not (necessarily) buying it. Every religious group nowadays seems to want to cry about how badly persecuted they are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sumaya View Post
    I think i'm happy for the most part. I do have my days but it has nothing to do with the niqab. I honestly feel free wearing it

    I do just wear conservative clothing I just add the niqab that I tie at the back with it. It may be seen as taken away the identity but I believe it gives me my identity.
    But how does it make you freer, or give you your identity? It basically robs you of your voice. I'm saying this in a (hopefully) tactful way, but I hope you understand that people are going to judge you as a radical based on the niqab, and that will color you in a certain way. Don't you have more of an opportunity to teach people, or spread a positive message, if you are free of the niqab? It basically puts you in the corner and people will discard anything you have to say. It is seen as an oppressive garment, because it is, except in your case you say you make it free of choice. But people will still see you as oppressed, not as free, which is what you want. Doesn't that bother you?
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

  6. #66
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Anyways salam (which means peace). I will no longer frequent this forum. It's been a nice discussion.
    Bye

  7. #67
    Elite Member Sojiita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Duh-hio
    Posts
    22,811

    Default

    No FTB.

  8. #68
    Elite Member january's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,255

    Default

    Ma'salama. I hope you don't leave because I think this is something that needs to be discussed, but if you do I wish you well. I hope you think about what the others have said and how you are portraying yourself. This makes me sad.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

  9. #69
    Elite Member Sojiita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Duh-hio
    Posts
    22,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Ma'salama. I hope you don't leave because I think this is something that needs to be discussed, but if you do I wish you well. I hope you think about what the others have said and how you are portraying yourself. This makes me sad.
    Ok. Enough with being sad.

    Now go make a Hot Muslim Guys thread in the hot guys section!

    a little immodesty is not forbidden is it? What do muslim men get to wear to the beach?

  10. #70
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    What do muslim men get to wear to the beach?
    Whatever the fuck they like..... Only the women get the freedom to wear a burial shroud.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  11. #71
    Elite Member Sojiita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Duh-hio
    Posts
    22,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Whatever the fuck they like..... Only the women get the freedom to wear a burial shroud.
    Seriously, seeing pics of Muslim women at the beach wearing a burka... sloshing around in surf with a full burka on..that just looked so damn uncomfortable.

    but of course 150 years ago it was not much different at Atlantic City...

    hard to imagine really.

  12. #72
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Seriously, seeing pics of Muslim women at the beach wearing a burka... sloshing around in surf with a full burka on..that just looked so damn uncomfortable.

    but of course 150 years ago it was not much different at Atlantic City...

    hard to imagine really.
    But luckily, like Sput noted above since the birth of humanism and the enlightenment there has been a gradual march toward separation of church and state.

    We evolved as a society to give women the right not to be treated as chattel. This practice in dehumanizing. It makes one literally faceless.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  13. #73
    Elite Member january's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,255

    Default

    How fucking HOT would you be being swallowed in all that cloth on the fucking beach? I wonder if they get tan lines where the niqab meets the face. That would be embarrassing, maybe that's why they are forced to keep wearing it. Our neighbor has halitosis and I wish she would wear a freaking niqab.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

  14. #74
    Elite Member Sojiita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Duh-hio
    Posts
    22,811

    Default

    We evolved as a society to give women the right not to be treated as chattel. This practice in dehumanizing. It makes one literally faceless.
    yeah, I see it as dehumanizing too. *sigh*.

  15. #75
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    How fucking HOT would you be being swallowed in all that cloth on the fucking beach?
    I've always thought the same about ultra orthodox jewish women. Covered up, wigs, stockings, long sleeves. They have to be dying in the hot weather.

    It bothers me when I see very young Hasidic girls, with long skirts and arms covered in the summer. It seems so unfair that even as a kid you're forced to obey these arcane things.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The sparkly pink burka thread
    By Grimmlok in forum Fashion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: December 10th, 2011, 09:12 PM
  2. France's Burka Ban Overwhelmingly Passes Through Parliament
    By witchcurlgirl in forum Politics and Issues
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: September 14th, 2010, 06:24 PM
  3. France has first 'burka rage' incident
    By witchcurlgirl in forum Politics and Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 22nd, 2010, 07:00 AM
  4. Five European states back burka ban: Poll
    By witchcurlgirl in forum Politics and Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 2nd, 2010, 08:02 PM
  5. Michael Jackson spotted in a burka.
    By buttmunch in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: January 26th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •