Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The British hate the French. Shock.

Default Re: The British hate the French. Shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiara View Post
    OK so I wrote this the other the day ^^

But having just got back from Nice, France I have changed my opinion slightly. Although I know you can't tar them all with the same brush, some may be nice, polite people (although I have yet to meet one) but my overall view of the French is that they were rude. The only time they were nice - after they had realised we were English, was when we were paying them for something (and sometimes not even then!)

The first night we got there we were queueing up at a snack-stop type thing and when my bf spoke to ask for our order, the whole queue turned and looked at us and started laughing and pointing and talking to each other. It was so obvious that it was because we were English because they hadn't batted an eyelid before he'd spoke.

I definitely think that the French have a bigger problem with English than we do with them. Oh and I also think that most of them are boring and miserable people. They try to be so sophisticated and mature, so they look at you like shit if you dare to order a vodka earlier than 9 o'clock and wear a vest top in the winter - hello I'm from England this weather is HOT to me!!

The only nice person we came across was the man in the hotel, he was extremely helpful and very well mannered, but then we found out he was originally from Bolton in Engand!!
    Sorry you had a bad experience. These people in the queue were indeed rude, but above all really stupid. In any case, I've been a lot to England and have met both nice and rude people (my bf and I have been often refused entrance in clubs because we were French, and sometimes in a pub the bartender pretended not to understand my English in order to embarrass me.) But thankfully a lot of people have also been nice or just normal with me and I still like the English. I love England, and I'm not going to stop loving it because of a few jerks who are just to narrow-minded to understand other cultures ( when I say jerks I include the people who mocked you in Nice of course).

Eh, the French and English have their history.. the english sniff at the frogs, and the french smirk at 'Les Rosbifs'.. always has been, always will be.

Americans are seen as poor colonial cousins, Canadians are more of a curiosity (and btw, Canada and Canadians would be LOATHE to be in the sun, as Sojita tried to make fun of us for.. we don't desire to have that much attention directed our way, that would be gauche.), but at least a quieter one..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    Sorry you had a bad experience. These people in the queue were indeed rude, but above all really stupid. In any case, I've been a lot to England and have met both nice and rude people (my bf and I have been often refused entrance in clubs because we were French, and sometimes in a pub the bartender pretended not to understand my English in order to embarrass me.) But thankfully a lot of people have also been nice or just normal with me and I still like the English. I love England, and I'm not going to stop loving it because of a few jerks who are just to narrow-minded to understand other cultures ( when I say jerks I include the people who mocked you in Nice of course).
    Oh I can believe some of the Elglish can be arse holes too! Like I said, you can't tar them all with the same brush, it just annoys me that they do it just because we're English, it's so unfair. And it makes me feel embarrassed that th English do it to the french too, I don't think I've ever come across a French person here (maybe thats coz nobody in their right mind would want to visit where I live!) but if I did it wouldn't even cross my mind to even look at them any differently than anyone else! Everyone just needs to grow up and realise, wow we speak different and come from different places!!!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    At least these countries have had a time in the sun..unlike other places..*cough cough Canada cough cough*
    Ummm Canada has had its fill of wars. We sent 1.5 million soldiers to WWI, WWII & the Korean wars. After these wars, Canada and other like-minded countries felt is was better to PREVENT wars if at all possible. Canada played a leading role in the peacekeeping movement in the UN. In fact, a Canadian, Lester B. Pearson, won the 1957 Nobel Peace Prize for his pioneering vision in helping establish a UN force to prevent the Suez Crisis of the 1950's from escalating into a global confrontation.

Us Canadians are a polite country that prides ourselves in peacekeeping, not warmongering. (Although the only war we had with the U.S.A. we won!)

And thats enough sunshine for me!
    Vegetarian - Old Indian word for "Bad Hunter"

Quote Originally Posted by deckchick View Post
    Ummm Canada has had its fill of wars. We sent 1.5 million soldiers to WWI, WWII & the Korean wars. After these wars, Canada and other like-minded countries felt is was better to PREVENT wars if at all possible. Canada played a leading role in the peacekeeping movement in the UN. In fact, a Canadian, Lester B. Pearson, won the 1957 Nobel Peace Prize for his pioneering vision in helping establish a UN force to prevent the Suez Crisis of the 1950's from escalating into a global confrontation.

Us Canadians are a polite country that prides ourselves in peacekeeping, not warmongering. (Although the only war we had with the U.S.A. we won!)

And thats enough sunshine for me!
    Actually I like Canada I was just in an evil bitchy mood when I wrote that stuff. ...Canada is great...Now can we have some more of your natural resources please?.

Actually I like Canada I was just in an evil bitchy mood when I wrote that stuff. ...Canada is great...Now can we have some more of your natural resources please?.
    Why? Do you need more water to grow grass in las vegas?
    You need to settle the softwood tariff dispute.
    And upgrade your Power Stations lines.

Until then No!

Quote Originally Posted by deckchick View Post
    Why? Do you need more water to grow grass in las vegas?
    You need to settle the softwood tariff dispute.
    And upgrade your Power Stations lines.

Until then No!
    If you do not relent and release your resources we will have to use our super secret terror weapon..we will release upon the Canadian Population a horror that is beyond imagination...Mann Coulter as American Ambassador to Canada!!! hahahahahahaha!!!!!

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I have two friends who have been to Paris and environs in the last year and have nothing but good to say about the French. Don't judge it on the people in the tourists traps, New Yorkers are known to be rude also. Take a trip into the villiages and you will find very kind sweet and polite French people.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

If you do not relent and release your resources we will have to use our super secret terror weapon..we will release upon the Canadian Population a horror that is beyond imagination...Mann Coulter as American Ambassador to Canada!!! hahahahahahaha!!!!!
    Is that any relation to that nutjob Ann Coulter? If it is, we may just have to dust off the guns and take a potshot at that crazy bitch...

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    I have two friends who have been to Paris and environs in the last year and have nothing but good to say about the French. Don't judge it on the people in the tourists traps, New Yorkers are known to be rude also. Take a trip into the villages and you will find very kind sweet and polite French people.
    I totally agree nana, but I think we are talking more the people as a whole, and the French political policies for sure!

I may be naive, but I truly do believe that most people basically are kind, polite and hospitable all over the world. Just like no one country is full of assholes, no one country has all polite happy people.... not even us Canuckleheads!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

"polite" and "French" don't go together! The French wouldn't know manners/tact if it smacked them in the face!

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Geez Alice, take a chill pill.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Yeah, it's getting a little much.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

o please get over yourselves
    I have.

It comes to a point when it's just incessant, irrational bashing that people start putting up hands and objecting.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information