Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Brexitpocalypse: CocksuckerBoJo’s Reign of Terror

^ Nutters. At least no-one had donated to that
    Novice likes this.

UK set for 12 December general election after MPs' vote

The UK is set to go to the polls on 12 December after MPs backed Boris Johnson's call for an election following months of Brexit deadlock.
    By a margin of 438 votes to 20, the House of Commons approved legislation paving the way for the first December election since 1923.
    The bill is still to be approved by the Lords but could become law by the end of the week.
    If that happens, there will be a five-week campaign up to polling day.
    The prime minister has said the public must be "given a choice" over the future of Brexit and the country.

Mr Johnson hopes the election will give him a fresh mandate for his Brexit deal and break the current Parliamentary deadlock, which has led to the UK's exit being further delayed to 31 January.
    The PM said it was time for the country to "come together to get Brexit done", as he left a meeting of the 1922 Committee of backbench Conservatives held minutes after the vote.

He has readmitted 10 of the 21 Conservative MPs he threw out of the party for rebelling over Brexit, allowing them to stand as Conservative candidates.
    Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said: "This election is a once-in-a-generation chance to transform our country and take on the vested interests holding people back."
    He said his party would "now launch the most ambitious and radical campaign for real change that our country has ever seen".

Shadow Cabinet minister Andrew Gwynne said voters faced a choice between "five more years of Boris Johnson's slash and burn politics" and a Labour government genuinely on the side of working people.
    But some Labour MPs have expressed misgivings over the timing of the election, believing only another referendum can settle the Brexit question for good.
    More than 100 Labour MPs did not take part or abstained in Tuesday's crucial vote, while 11 voted against an election. A total of 127 Labour MPs, including Mr Corbyn, supported the election.

The Liberal Democrats and the SNP signalled their support for an election earlier this week, arguing it was now the best way of stopping Brexit.
    Mr Corbyn announced earlier on Monday that he now backed the idea because the EU's decision to delay Brexit for three months had taken a no-deal departure off the table.
    Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson said neither Mr Johnson nor Mr Corbyn "was fit to be prime minister" and it was not inconceivable that her party could form the next government.
    "I am standing as a candidate to be the next prime minister and in these volatile political times that is absolutely possible," she told Sky News.
    The SNP's Kirsty Blackman said her party was determined to do everything to stop Scotland being taken out of the EU against its will, while also campaigning aggressively for a decisive break with a "decade of austerity".
    Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage welcomed the election, tweeting that the deadlock had been broken and "Brexit now has a chance to succeed".
    Boris Johnson had tried and failed three times to get Parliament's backing for an early election. But on this occasion, MPs approved the necessary legislation after just six hours of debate.
    There was last-minute wrangling over the date amid Labour concerns that students could be "disenfranchised" if it was held outside term time.
    But their call for the poll to be held on Monday, 9 December - at a time when they believed more students would be at their term-time addresses - was rejected by 315 votes to 295.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50229318

Brexit deal means ‘£70bn hit a year to UK by 2029'
    30 October 2019

• Boris Johnson's Brexit deal will leave the UK £70bn worse off a year than if it had remained in the EU, a study by the National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) has found.
      It concluded that growth would be 3.5% lower in 10 years' time under the deal.
      The independent forecaster's outlook is one of the first assessments of how the economy will fare under the new deal.
      But the Treasury said it is plans on a 'more ambitious' agreement with the EU than 'NIESR is basing its findings on'.
      A spokesman said: "We are aiming to negotiate a comprehensive free trade agreement with the European Union, which is more ambitious than the standard free trade deal that NIESR has based its findings on."
      NIESR said approval of the Prime Minister's deal "would reduce the risk of a disorderly outcome, but eliminate the possibility of a closer trading relationship with the EU".
      Despite the agreement between the EU and the UK removing uncertainty, customs and regulatory barriers would "hinder goods and services trade with the continent leaving all regions of the United Kingdom worse off than they would be if the UK stayed in the EU," NIESR said.
      "We estimate that, in the long run, the economy would be 3.5% smaller with the deal compared to continued EU membership," it added.
      Image copyrigh
      tGETTY IMAGES
      The report also found the proposed free trade deal with the EU was slightly worse for the economy than Theresa May's deal of last year.
      Founded in 1938, NIESR has no party political ties and is the UK's oldest independent economic research institute.
      Earlier this month, Bank of England governor Mark Carney welcomed the new Brexit deal, saying it was a "net economic positive".
      However, the governor said that the "different" future relationship negotiated with the EU meant it "remains to be seen" if overall the deal would be as positive for the UK economy as the deal put forward by Mr Johnson's predecessor Mrs May.
      Chancellor Sajid Javid has refused to recalculate Treasury assessments on the impact of the government's Brexit deal, saying it is "self-evidently in our economic interest".
      Slowing demand

NIESR's study modelled different Brexit scenarios against a baseline of the UK staying in the EU.
      In the case of a no-deal Brexit, it said, the economy would shrink by 5.6%.

The government would dearly love to compare its agreement to the prospect of no deal.
      On that basis, Boris Johnson's renegotiation looks better - on standard economic models such as those deployed by the respected National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
      "New deal versus no deal" was the argument put to MPs when the Prime Minister was still trying to pass his deal. It was the position of the Chancellor, when he refused to publish his own version of such an analysis saying it was "self-evidently" better.
      But we are now in a different situation.
      The Prime Minister's deal is being put to the electorate versus a remain option or a different, far softer form of Brexit.
      Crucially, NIESR calculates that the Johnson renegotiation leads to a slightly worse economic outcome than Theresa May's deal which it replaces, as the Bank of England Governor hinted to me earlier this month.
      What is driving these results? The new deal creates more distance from the European Union economy, with more regulatory barriers to trade. Unlike May's deal, there could be checks on the origin of parts in the car industry, for example.
      The overall impact of these extra barriers outweighs the benefit from extra certainty of "getting Brexit done". Individual businesses may well disagree. But the Treasury itself has chosen not to issue its own version of analysis such as this, even though it has the capacity to do so.

If the terms of trade with the EU remained unchanged, but "chronic uncertainty" persisted, GDP would be 2% lower.
      "The economic outlook is clouded by significant economic and political uncertainty and depends critically on the United Kingdom's trading relationships after Brexit," NIESR said.
      "Domestic economic weakness is further amplified by slowing global demand."
      According to NIESR, the effects of Brexit on the UK economy are already being felt.
      "The economy is estimated to be 2.5% smaller now than it would otherwise have been as a result of the 2016 Brexit vote," it said.

Last edited by twitchy2.0; October 30th, 2019 at 03:07 AM. Reason: de-greened

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Did we really expect anything else?

And still a friend of mine keeps banging on about how they were right to vote Leave even though they are married to an EU national and living in his country. They think that they'll be OK, that Brexit won't affect her status or their comings and goings between the two countries. Is it mean of me to hope they're proven horribly wrong?
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

... and yet bojo and the tories are leading in the polls because people are fucking insane.
    i swear, half of humanity is a fucking write-off.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ... and yet bojo and the tories are leading in the polls because people are fucking insane.
    i swear, half of humanity is a fucking write-off.
    Absolutely.

It's a real shame Labour don't have a decent leader though.
    Kittylady and Novice like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    It's a real shame Labour don't have a decent leader though.
    speaking of write-offs. why does labour continue to cling to budget bernie?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    speaking of write-offs. why does labour continue to cling to budget bernie?
    I'm genuinely starting to believe that they don't want to win an election because of being left to fix or deal with the absolute shit pit that is Brexit so they are going to wishy-washy their way to polling day.

They are putting party before country.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

It just skeeves me how much alike these two look and are.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I'm genuinely starting to believe that they don't want to win an election because of being left to fix or deal with the absolute shit pit that is Brexit so they are going to wishy-washy their way to polling day.

They are putting party before country.
    I agree but that makes both parties doing that....
    Kittylady likes this.

Carole Cadwalladr (@carolecadwalla) Tweeted:
    BREAKING: Boris Johnson flew to Italy without his security detail & met ex-kGB agent 2 days after NATO summit to discuss Russia sanctions. New from me & @TownsendMark

https://t.co/bqifjUyWUo https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/s...587913216?s=20

So.... he met with Putin? He’s ex-KGB.

"ex" sure
    Novice likes this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Well theKGB ceases to exist in 1991 (or so) so it’s called something else now...

As for BoJo the meeting took place inApril 2018 which is very different from it being now (as PM) & the guy owns a couple of big UK papers.

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/20...er-nato-summit

There are still questions to be answered but no doubt this guy Alexander Lebedev will mysteriously end up dead as he is an outspoken critic of Putin.

I am genuinely disheartened with the results of the election. Nothing unexpected sadly, but me being an optimist, I always hope for people to have a last surge of decency. I do not understand how people can look at the shitshow that has become the US and say "oh yeah, let's have that!"

And I'm not even sure it's rich old white men, I'm pretty sure it's poor / middle class people who were brainswashed into blaming those even poorer for public deficit. And who needs social security right?

I'm so tired.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information