Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Brexit: David Cameron Resigns Following Brexit Vote

I wonder how this is going to be implemented. The terminology concerning Article 50 and withdrawing from the EU is extremely vague, and both Cameron and Johnson are stalling over starting the process.

I honestly think this is going to die on its arse somewhere along the line. The majority of MPs are opposed to leaving and the EU isn't exactly designed to be seceded from gently.

Oh Lord. Trump approves of the withdrawal.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    You mean we're not?
    I know you aren't, Trixie. I always imagined you are more of a Stod. (joke! joke!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slushie View Post
    I suppose this is payback for the white working class being ignored for 30 years. God only knows where we go from here.
    Down the shitter. Funny how all the media outlets who were slating the Remain PoV are now reporting concerns about the exact consequences that they previously presented as bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    And that tells you all you need to know about it.

On a side note, I read your comment and thought "I wish Papa Trump had withdrawn instead of hitting the mark..."
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

The stocks are dropping. Great Britain, up to this point was the EU's second most stable economy behind Germany. People are scared.
    It would have been better if Germany would have left, too powerful for the EU anyway and even more unpopular in Europe.
    sharp as Angie's square jaw

This is unreal.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Is everything staying peaceful there? I hope so.
    Honey likes this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Is everything staying peaceful there? I hope so.
    I've not heard of any trouble.

Something that gets me is that only 37.4 % of the population voted to leave. 13 million didn't bother to vote. That could have made a big difference in the outcome had they voted (obviously)

I don't really follow British politics , can someone explain this to me like I'm an alien? If it was/is so bad, how did it pass?

Although, I ask that as an American where Trump is possibly a Presidential candidate
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

Well as of the begining of June Trump had no idea what Brexit was or that it was even happening, so totally makes sense he has such strong, evidence based reaction to the results. And he totally should be calling out Pres Obama and Clinton's comments on and reactions to the results. Waste of oxygen moron.

Christopher Furlong/Getty Images

At the end of the month, there will be a referendum to decide if Britain should leave or remain in the European Union. The implications are radical for the United States: Following World War II, the EU brought stability and order to Europe, and as a single unit it has helped the U.S. with geopolitical responsibilities around the world. On the economic front alone, President Obama has urged against a Brexit, saying it could take as many as 10 years for Britain to negotiate new trade deals with the U.S.

"Brexit is not the source of Europe's trend of disintegration," Vox explains, "But if it happens, it could be the beginning of the end for the most successful U.S. foreign policy ever and a serious blow to U.S. efforts to maintain stability and order in Europe and therefore beyond."

In other words, it is a really big deal.

Enter Donald Trump:

"And Brexit? Your position?" I ask.
    "Huh?"
    "Brexit."
    "Hmm."
    "The Brits leaving the EU," I prompt, realizing that his lack of familiarity with one of the most pressing issues in Europe is for him no concern nor liability at all.
    "Oh yeah, I think they should leave."

"If there's any pattern to [Trump's] conversation, it's that he's vague on all subjects outside himself, his campaign, and the media. Everything else is mere distraction," Michael Wolff writes in The Hollywood Reporter. Perhaps Trump is so vague because he's just been called on and apparently hasn't done his homework. Read the entire profile of Trump in The Hollywood Reporter. Jeva Lange

Source: http://theweek.com/speedreads/627493...ow-what-brexit ...commenting on the longer Michael Wolff THR article linked in the post.
    Last edited by Annie B; June 25th, 2016 at 02:45 PM.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

Legally parliament could put a stop to this, we haven't actually left yet. But that would cause a lot of trouble.

Of course first of all this is a right wing win, Surprised they didn't promise a effing wall and second if all of EU falls apart they are so much weaker.
    I do hope EU is learning a very valuable lesson from this and respects more the 'little' people.

I hope this is the best decision for Britain in the long run. I could see both sides to this argument so I'm not going to demonize anybody's vote. To me it looks like a complete and total repudiation of TPTB (edited to add: repudiation of TPTB by the poorer/working/rural/non-elite classes).

All people need to feel that their government represents them and that they have some kind of say over how they are ruled. I'm sorry people are so angry. I will say I thought our (American) people got vicious where politics were concerned. I think we just got beat.

I'd also say that cool heads need to prevail and this isn't the time to completely lose it and give over to hysteria but I'm sure I'll get reamed for that.
    Last edited by ADel; June 26th, 2016 at 10:06 PM.
    Sarzy and joebob like this.

I think a lot of people who wanted to remain didn't vote because they assumed it would be a remain win anyways, if everyone voted then they would have definitely won imo.

A few things I think went wrong, one of the main things I think was the remain campaign were so focused on making the leave vote seem like it's a racist thing that they didn't focus on their own agenda and trying to show people why they should vote. I know A lot of people who voted to leave and honestly none of their reasons were based on immigration, I know most people want controlled immigration and there is nothing wrong with that. I was on the fence and both sides have good and bad

The last few days Social media has been disgusting, from what I have seen the remain voters have been acting like its a school playground, throwing tantrums because they didn't get their way, so much for people wanting democracy, people only want that when things go their own way. honestly you would think that BNP has come into power or something. My partner voted out and the amount of abuse he has gotten on FB is horrible, his vote was not based on racism or coming from anywhere malicious, esp since I am from an first generation immigrant family and he is marrying into that.

Yes there will be struggles but I believe we are a strong country and we can gain something from this IF it goes through, I think somewhere along the lines either EU will make some deals or adjustments to the terms or PM's will rule against it.
    "I don't know what hammer time is, or how it differs from regular time"

^ Some people only want democracy when it's convenient. When the results go their way, fabulous. When not, some are ready to throw out the vote or contemplate scenarios in which only "certain people" are allowed to vote. Scary.

As an outsider (if I may comment because I know some people hate that), writing off some legitimate concerns with "that's racist" and shutting down discourse is not helpful. I see it here with Trump. I hate Trump and don't want him to win but I think writing off all his supporters as nothing more than xenophobic morons is a mistake. The working class in this country has been suffering for a long time and they keep getting the shaft by the elected people who are supposed to represent everybody and not just their cronies and the corps. They don't trust Hillary to be on their side. They'd rather take a shot in the dark with a guy who says he recognizes their plight and wants to change it than vote for a person they know will continue the ass-hammering.

At the end of the day, everybody's just rolling the dice.
    Sarzy, Pinkii, joebob and 1 others like this.

I'm seeing a lot of posts from twitter about how foreigners(mostly eastern Europeans and Asians) are being harassed now and told to GTFO of their country. This is just going fabulously.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information